Lock screen broken again.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Huecuva
Level 4
Level 4

Lock screen broken again.

Post by Huecuva »

So I recently used the update manager to upgrade from 19.1 Cinnamon to 19.2 Cinnamon. The first time I encountered the lock screen after performing this update, I had thought it was freezing again (I've posted about that problem in the past, though it has since been resolved) as nothing I typed was having any effect on the password dialog box. I pressed enter anyway, however, and lo and behold, it unlocked the screen. I guess I happened to type my password correctly. It's not freezing, but it's not showing anything in the password box. Is this by design or did the dev team break the lock screen again? The lock screen seems to be a common problem in Cinnamon and when it finally gets fixed in one version of Mint, it's broken again somehow in the next one.

Actually, once I think about it a bit more, it can't possibly be by design as it only seems to do this once it has been left locked for several hours. Much as it once used to freeze if left, say, overnight, it only doesn't display the password when typed if locked for several hours. If I walk away for an hour and come back, it displays the dots in the password field as it should. When I get up in the morning and go to unlock my screen, I can't tell if I'm typing my password or if my wireless keyboard is acting up again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Huecuva
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Lock screen broken again.

Post by Huecuva »

Nobody? Is there any particular information that would help figure this out?
LanceM

Re: Lock screen broken again.

Post by LanceM »

Have you tried disabling the lock screen in power management, reboot the system and then enable it again?

Return to “Software & Applications”