[SOLVED] OEM installations of Linux Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BPowell1999
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] OEM installations of Linux Mint

Post by BPowell1999 »

Hi everyone:

I'm kind of a noob at corporate open-source rules. I have created a new company that, among other things, builds computer towers. We're only a few weeks into business and we want to help push Linux to some of our customers.

I'd like to know what the rules are for companies selling hardware with Linux Mint installed, my assumption is that written permission is needed. Can anyone help advise us on the rules?

Many thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: OEM installations of Linux Mint

Post by pbear »

Pretty sure no permission is required, but I'll be darned if I can find the license on the Mint website. If you want to be certain, I suppose you could inquire by email to root@linuxmint.com, which is the address listed in Contact Us.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... t/oem.html

OEM version
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon Edition's live CD boot menu
The distribution provided an OEM version for manufacturers to use;[50][51] however, this version was discontinued with the release of v18 Sarah in order to reduce the number of ISO images that needed to be maintained.[52] Manufacturers wanting to perform an OEM install now have the option to choose so in the live CD boot menu.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint#OEM_version

So I too, am pretty sure it's free. If so I hope you donate to Mint for each PC.
How about contacting someone here:
https://www.linuxmint.com/store_computers.php
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I would follow the method osdisc.com always did, for each CD, DVD, or USB with system on it, a set amount for each sale, to each distro. Afterall, it helps keep development going on. "Muzzle not the ox which treads out the corn", or "the laborer is worthy of his hire" or "brother, can you spare a dime?"
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi BPowell1999,
welcome to our forum
:)

on the Live LinuxMint Media that is running the LM19x series,
there is several Boot Menu Options:
- Start LinuxMint - - Live Environment
- Start in Compatibility Mode - - Live Environment
- OEM Install - - for Manufacturers
- Integrity check
- Memory test
- Boot from local drive

so, therefore, your company would use that 3rd Option - - OEM Install - - for Manufacturers
and thus set-up your computers, from there.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BPowell1999
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BPowell1999 »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I apologise that my initial post wasn't quite clear. I know Linux Mint 19.x can be OEM installed from the boot menu, I was asking about the legalities of this.

For example, the proposed plan as it stands internally right now is that we sell hardware towers for a profit, with Linux Mint pre-installed by way of an OEM installation, and with each sale we set aside a small as-yet undetermined fixed amount or margin to donate to Linux Mint in bulk say once a week or month. There are several principle reasons for this as opposed to Windows OEM none of which I feel are relevant to this thread. We would like to support the Linux movement and we feel that if we provide comprehensive documentation to our customers along with links to reliable external sources (of course fully crediting the original publisher) we believe that at least a sum of our customers will remain on Linux and support the platform. For those who can't use or simply don't want to use Linux such as gamers, we can provide documentation on how they can install Windows 10 themselves as an alternative.

Babble ended, my question is, as far as Linux Mint is concerned (including the default app licenses), is redistribution allowed at all, and if so, are there any requirements for the redistribution process when pre-installing copies as a system builder?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

typically & in the past, any OEM installation of the LinuxMint System is allowed,
- - even in an commercial environment, as such.
obviously, any amount of $$$ would be greatly appreciated, as well.

if you do get success enough, then you could also ask about getting yourself recognised:
eg: https://www.linuxmint.com/store.php
as an Official LinuxMint Partner.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BPowell1999
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] OEM installations of Linux Mint

Post by BPowell1999 »

Thanks for your response, Pierre! That's what we needed to know. Sorry, I'm a noob at understanding Open Source licenses, especially seen as Linux distributions are collections of various applications all of which are subject to their own licenses and knowing the restrictions of each license and how they affect the distribution as a whole confuses both of us involved in this business. Contacting people like this is only the first step of our research.

You've been very helpful. So thanks :-)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED] OEM installations of Linux Mint

Post by Spearmint2 »

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Installation & Boot”