AMD Radeon 5700 XT and Mint 19.2 cinnamon

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OgggieDoggie

AMD Radeon 5700 XT and Mint 19.2 cinnamon

Post by OgggieDoggie »

I tried finding my specific problem but didnt see much about the Radeon 5700 XT . I have a little experience on linux but very little.
I just finished building a system with amd Ryzen 5 3600 and MSI Radeon 5700 XT and dual monitors. Works fine with windows. I have been told most AMD gpu's now work fine out of the box with open source drivers but not for me. My system is only supporting 1 monitor right now and is at a resolution of 1024 x 768. Also only the monitor connect by display port works. the hdmi connection even when switching monitors around the hdmi monitor does not light up. I assume because there is no driver supporting my 5700 xt card. Also in the display control panel it shows my display as LAPTOP default. I can not change resolution.

Do the AMDGPU drivers support the 5700 xt card? IF so is there a more current install instructions than the one from 2017? Or does that install still work for my system.

Thanks Oggie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: AMD Radeon 5700 XT and Mint 19.2 cinnamon

Post by rene »

OgggieDoggie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 am I assume because there is no driver supporting my 5700 xt card.
Indeed. Your hardware is quite new; as far as I can see the 5700 XT is supported from kernel 5.3 onwards: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... july&num=1, which kernel isn't even released upstream yet (it will be next week).

Moreover, while new hardware support may take longer to integrate in "Linux proper", i.e., upstream, than in Windows --- basically due to on latter the manufacturer distributing its own drivers against a stable, binary kernel API of which there is no such thing in Linux --- it takes a whole lot longer still for said upstream support to trickle down to distributions. That is, I believe 19.2 comes OOTB with a 4.15 kernel, the basis of which is from 22 jan 2018. A 5.0 kernel is available through Update Manager; 5.3 may or may not be in a months time or so and/or get to be delivered through the so-called HWE, hardware enablement stack; at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/RollingL ... ementStack the future is still marked TBD, to be done.

For now, https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/m ... /v5.3-rc8/ is your easiest route, although installing a mainline kernel, even an -rc8 (i.e., almost guaranteed to equal the upcoming final release), is still not recommended to someone who'd consider himself new to Linux. I do not know if, but do not expect that, the 5700 XT might also need updated X11 (even though the linked Phoronix article implies it'll certainly benefit from updated Mesa).

So, your hardware is just very new. I'd certainly try with the above -rc8 or wait a week for the final 5.3 which you can then also install from there, but you will be an early adopter...
Last edited by rene on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgggieDoggie

Post by OgggieDoggie »

Thank you. I did update my kernel to the 5.0 hoping there was support in it but it didnt help. I am not completely new to linux just have not waded in very far and not much in the last year. I do have UALinux aka Ubuntu Gamepack installed on my other pc and did learn a lot installing that and running it. In fact i have had like 4 installs this week of Mint seeing if i could do something different and get better results. I can wait a couple weeks if it looks like there will be support in 5.3 and i do know how to install an updated kernel. I guess that gives me a couple weeks to get things installed and setup unless you think it might be better to install wine, steam, playonlinux until after i have working gpu drivers.

Thanks again for the reply. i am glad i went with dual boot and didnt dive right into Mint and then have to repartition and install windows after the fact
OgggieDoggie

Post by OgggieDoggie »

I was just looking at the mainline kernel and i have never had a problem working outside my comfort zone. I am doing nothing mission critical on this pc . I Stream gaming sessions and do youtube videos and if i ever run into a snag i have my other pc i can fall back on while reinstalling. So is there a tutorial or walk through installing a mainline kernel. Maybe i will give that a shot until 5.3 is released and get myself a little more experience.

Thanks Again
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

OgggieDoggie wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:09 pm So is there a tutorial or walk through installing a mainline kernel.
Some would advise Ukuu, https://github.com/teejee2008/ukuu, in response to which others would then tell you to never use it lest the heavens come crashing down and plunge the planet into darkness for millennia untold. Personally I'd just manually download and install. I.e., you'd from that linked page grab:

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/m ... 32_all.deb
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/m ... _amd64.deb

Installing them is simply, if downloaded to ~/Downloads,

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/linux-*-5.3.0-050300rc8*
and removing them

sudo apt-get purge "linux-*-5.3.0-050300rc8*"
Warning; 5.3.0-rc8 has a known random-number bug causing a boot time delay on some distributions, including Mint 19.2 Xfce at least. If the system appears to hang at boot, moving your mouse or touching your keyboard for a bit will have it resume -- but that bit's then a fair example of why it should not always and for everyone be considered a good idea to use mainline kernels, release candidates less.

Also, as implied through the Phoronix article it seems you are definitely going to want to also have updated Mesa so be aware that the support that only kernel 5.3.0 gets you will be as to (basic) functionality, not as to performance. I'll here only very quickly mention "the Padoka PPA" so that you know it's going to be completely your own fault if you use that and mess up your system beyond hope of repair...
OgggieDoggie

Post by OgggieDoggie »

I did not have luck with the mainline kernel. I updated the ppa to the padoka but still had problems at boot. received this error

Couldnt get size: 0x0000000000e
Couldnt get UEFI list
couldnt get size: 0x0000000000e
I wondered if going to bios mode instead of uefi would help but not sure how that would effect my windows install or if that is even the problem.

When I boot into recovery and then select boot normally it continues the boot process just fine but i still do not have anything other than the 768 resolution available. No changes from the 5.0
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Those messages appear related to UEFI secure boot keys and to in itself be harmless. I take it though you're left with a hanging boot? Yes, if you boot in to "recovery" you always boot without a hardware-specific graphics driver; will fall back to the same generic VESA driver that you are using on 5.0.

Unfortunately, if 5.3 with or without also updated X.org from Padoka doesn't "just work" I'm afraid I'm for now out of suggestions. Your hardware is currently too new for anything yet available OOTB.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello OgggieDoggie,

have you ever looked, what system driver is used for your card (radeon or amdgpu)? It is included in the output of the following terminal command. It is also useful for help to see, what computer and hardware you are using:

inxi -Fxz

But I think, there are two possible ways for maybe solving the problem:

1. Installing newer open source drivers from the oibaf-ppa:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/amd.html

2. Installing the Radeon software for linux from AMD website for your card:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics ... rx-5700-xt
OgggieDoggie

Post by OgggieDoggie »

Something interesting i found. I was installing with dual boot but to be able to experiment and not have to continually re-partition and install distro's I decided to just create a few vm's in windows 10

With both Pop OS and Linux mint display gives me many more resolutions. Now i dont think it is using the windows drivers since its in a vm but i could be wrong.
both were installed using the same iso images i used to install to a partition that gave me display issues.

HAWR I will try those ideas later tonight when i get time to sit down uninterrupted. Thank you
OgggieDoggie

Post by OgggieDoggie »

HAWR wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:15 am Hello OgggieDoggie,

have you ever looked, what system driver is used for your card (radeon or amdgpu)? It is included in the output of the following terminal command. It is also useful for help to see, what computer and hardware you are using:

inxi -Fxz
There were no graphics drivers installed

2. Installing the Radeon software for linux from AMD website for your card:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics ... rx-5700-xt
The first option did not work. The 2nd option was a success, but it was a very short lived success. As soon as i tried accessing workspaces via ctrl alt UP it partially froze Mint. I could still change windows and even open programs via mouse but could not enter any command or type any text. So i could not kill chrome which is what i was working in at the time. I also could not shut down the machine.

I will try this again with a fresh install since it was the closest to success i have had so far.

I know there is another post on here from today of someone saying they had success using Ukuu and some other ppa's but from what i read somewhere else Ukuu is no longer freely available and no longer in the repository it was in before. You have to purchase it from another website.

Thanks you for your help
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

There were no graphics drivers installed
The radeon and amdgpu drivers come by default with LM. That is the reason for the output of

inxi -Fxz
But if the Radeon Software seems to work, then it's a good decision to try it with a fresh, updated and timeshifted installation.
OgggieDoggie

Post by OgggieDoggie »

I will let you know how it works.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”