gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by gm10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:14 pm

PSA: For those wanting to help with the localization, I finally set this up. Pjotr is already slaving away at the Dutch translations, if you want to provide some missing translations for your language then you can head to this website and add them:

https://translations.launchpad.net/gm10-linuxmint-tools

Any questions, let me know. :)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:47 pm

A tip for prospective translators: when submitting translations on Launchpad, you'll probably often encounter a timeout error from Launchpad. In that case: don't worry, your translations aren't lost. Just keep refreshing the Launchpad page with F5 until you see the normal Launchpad response.

Also this: although I do the Dutch translations for these tools, I don't use them myself. Mainly because I don't need their extra features. So I have no experience with them at all, and can't advise you about them.

I can only say that since these tools are being made by the former developer of the official Update Manager of Linux Mint, I wouldn't worry about their quality. :)
Last edited by Pjotr on Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Pjotr is a machine, he just completed all of the Dutch translations on his own, and he isn't even using the PPA himself. I'm sure he would have been even faster if not for launchpad doing the timeouts.

Thanks a lot - I don't know if I have any Dutch users but if I do I'm sure they will greatly appreciate your efforts! :)

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:15 am

By the way, seems official Mint fixed the issue with the official Update Manager's tray icon being invisible or only half-showing on Cinnamon. It is my understanding that my PPA's version never had the issue to begin with but please correct me if I'm wrong and I will look into it.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:20 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:15 am
By the way, seems official Mint fixed the issue with the official Update Manager's tray icon being invisible or only half-showing on Cinnamon. It is my understanding that my PPA's version never had the issue to begin with but please correct me if I'm wrong and I will look into it.
The problem seems to affect very few users and none of the devs were able to reproduce it. There are other advantages to the use of the new XAppStatusIndicator. Like the fact that you get a proper sized icon in HiDPI. It looks much better. The new indicator is still very much a work in progress though and is still getting changed a good bit.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:24 am

I can only say that since these tools are being made by the former developer of the official Update Manager of Linux Mint, I wouldn't worry about their quality. :)
Credit where it's due. gm10 put a good bit of effort into the Update Manager for the last release and deserves credit for that. But your comment takes away years of effort from a lot of devs on the project. Something that gm10 was only a small part of. Calling him THE former developer of the project is just misrepresentation. No offence is meant to anyone but a lot of people deserve credit for the Update Manager.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:22 pm

JosephM wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:20 am
gm10 wrote:
The problem seems to affect very few users and none of the devs were able to reproduce it.
Really? I had a near 100% repro rate in a 19.2 Cinnamon VM in VirtualBox. I couldn't repro with my version though. So I'm happy to leave it alone if none of my users complains. ;)
JosephM wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:20 am
There are other advantages to the use of the new XAppStatusIndicator. Like the fact that you get a proper sized icon in HiDPI. It looks much better. The new indicator is still very much a work in progress though and is still getting changed a good bit.
Yes, I've seen the efforts. I'm reluctant to use it for from what I understood it seems a Cinnamon-specific solution (needs a specific applet?) and my mintupdate fork already gives the user the option to use AppIndicator instead, anyway.
JosephM wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:24 am
Credit where it's due. gm10 put a good bit of effort into the Update Manager for the last release and deserves credit for that. But your comment takes away years of effort from a lot of devs on the project. Something that gm10 was only a small part of. Calling him THE former developer of the project is just misrepresentation. No offence is meant to anyone but a lot of people deserve credit for the Update Manager.
He didn't mean to say that, he was just being nice and vouch for me in explanation of why he's not using the PPA himself. But it's true, we all stand on the shoulders of those who came before, as do you guys.

Although with respect to mintupdate I have thought many times that with hindsight it would have been so much simpler for me to just write the thing from scratch rather than remodel the existing one, which at the end of the day is so much more work (although much easier now that I forked it). I'm particularly dreading to remove all the deprecated Gdk threading from it, something I keep pushing down the list...

One last thing, as to "only a small part", after removing the translation files, my mintupdate fork currently has about 1/4 of the codebase under my authorship, so it's not entirely fair of you, either. ;)

Code: Select all

$ git summary --line

project  : mintupdate
 lines    : 44004
 authors  :
   32162 Clement Lefebvre   73.1%
   10884 gm10               24.7%
     506 JosephMcc          1.1%
     [...]
Just to show my contribution - this is, of course, by no means a definitive list. Clem's part includes the original import to GitHub, so he is not the sole author of that, and many people deserve credit for many hundreds of lines of translations submitted as well, plus the app uses various other libraries created by a number of people.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:34 pm

lexqbit wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:28 pm
gm10 wrote:
Back at work tomorrow want me to do some test for you on my test PC or VM? I would be happy to help since I believe KM tools is great contribution, wonderful encouragement for the rest of the community to create code for Linux Mint (I plan to do so when I get the time and learn more about Linux Mint and how it works). Troubleshooting a Linux Mint project like this will help me learn a lot I guess.
Thanks, I appreciate that. But let me put it like this: You are very welcome to go bug hunting, I do actually take pleasure in fixing them, but I wouldn't lose sleep over this icon issue. If anybody runs into it on Cinnamon then do let me know, but as mentioned above, I am assuming that my fork never had this issue to begin with (this is reinforced by a few Cinnamon users who PM'ed me saying they were fine after I posted the question). So best concentrate your efforts on something more likely to yield results. :)

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:45 pm

lexqbit wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:41 pm
I had some issue with the update manager I use 19.2 CInnamon and panel on the left side, sometimes the icos was missing or appear as part of the full icon. on that PC i never had LM tools instaleld. Today I login and I see the issue gone, tried few times it is the same.
So since I had the same problem and it is no fixed and never had LM Tools Installed I assume I can say that the problems are not related.
Cool let me knwo when ever you need some testing if I got the time will do it no problem.
No no you're misunderstanding. Nobody has ever claimed the problem existed with the PPA. The problem was only reported with the original mintupdate from the official repositories (i.e. what every Mint user not using my PPA is using). That problem with the official version was now fixed in version 5.5.4.1.

My PSA above was just to point that out because I am not planning to make any changes to my version with respect to this issue unless somebody comes forward and tells me the issue even exists.

tl;dr: My PPA never had the bug and official Mint has been fixed.
lexqbit wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:41 pm
Cool let me knwo when ever you need some testing if I got the time will do it no problem.
The only known issues with mintupdate on my list at the moment are two minor cosmetic issues. I got nothing with any of the other tools I'm maintaining.

Work that remains to be done is, of course, now with the translations since I only just opened the possibility to contribute to them: https://translations.launchpad.net/gm10-linuxmint-tools.
Documentation is always lagging behind as well. But as far as features go, my wish list for mintupdate is actually empty at the moment (except for both the dbus service and forking aptdaemon to replace synaptic, but I've delayed both for the time being), but I got a few things on the list for a number of other packages, in case you want to start contributing code. ;)
Last edited by gm10 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:57 pm

lexqbit wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:52 pm
in any case your contribution in my opinion as I stated, is great contribution and wonderful encouragement for the rest of the community.
Thanks, but just to clarify, my particular situation aside that means I will not contribute to official Mint again, you and everybody else are of course encouraged to do so.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:06 pm

lexqbit wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:00 pm
even helping out here is a contribution.
For sure, anybody helping others out here is contributing to the success of the project as a whole - maybe more, than they realize.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:37 pm

gm10 I was trying to be clear I wasn't taking away from your efforts on mintupdate. Hopefully that came across. I've never tried your personal version so cannot speak to that but it obviously works quite well for some.

The new indicator stuff isn't Cinnamon specific. The goal is to usable across any DE. It's essentially a replacement for Gtk Plug/Socket which have been deprecated for quite some time and has it's own set of issues. It will also be gone completely with Gtk4. Obviously it's up to you to decide to use it but it does have some benefits, mostly for Cinnamon at the moment.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:50 pm

JosephM wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:37 pm
gm10 I was trying to be clear I wasn't taking away from your efforts on mintupdate. Hopefully that came across. I've never tried your personal version so cannot speak to that but it obviously works quite well for some.
Oh no, neither was I from the team's. I mainly posted the numbers to show that I did "some" work, more than I ever contributed to official mintupdate (it's obviously much faster to work on my own), so if you never looked at it you would not know.
JosephM wrote:
The new indicator stuff isn't Cinnamon specific. The goal is to usable across any DE.
I haven't checked the code yet, but Clem says otherwise in the blog:
We also made App.StatusIcon detect the presence of applets and implemented a fallback mechanism to guarantee this works in other desktops. If no applet is present, the icon transparently falls back to a Gtk.StatusIcon, so without having to care about it, the app shows an icon in any environment compatible with Gtk.StatusIcon.
Source: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3795
JosephM wrote:
It's essentially a replacement for Gtk Plug/Socket which have been deprecated for quite some time and has it's own set of issues. It will also be gone completely with Gtk4. Obviously it's up to you to decide to use it but it does have some benefits, mostly for Cinnamon at the moment.
Oh I know that Gtk.StatusIcon will go away and for some desktops already has, that's why I already had full AppIndicator support in my fork before this Cinnamon issue ever came up (I still default to StatusIcon because people are used to it but I wouldn't mind doing away with it completely). It's also why I wasn't thrilled to read that the Xapp version will fall back to Gtk.StatusIcon (why? let it die already).

By the way, the only deprecated code left in my fork is Gdk threading. I'm not fully Wayland compatible yet though, although that doesn't concern mintupdate (I have window placement code in it that won't work on Wayland but that'll fail silently), mostly just mintmenu.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:18 pm

OK, I got two sick kittens less than two months old, one of them may not live through the night and I feel horrible so I'll try to shift my focus now.
Since you said your bucket list for the Updater was empty, let me fill a few items for you:
- provide a 3-way option for the default update details: Packages, Description, Changelog. Reason is I always end up switching to Changelog so that would save me a click. Does Linux (Mint) offer tri-state checkboxes or would that require a ComboBox? Nevermind, tri-state checkboxes would be confusing and maybe not supported by all themes.
- provide an option to always open the Downloading and Installing dialogs in expanded state, with suboption to remember dialog size and position. I almost always expand both and resize the first one so it'd be helpful to give 'em some "memory".
- add ability to select and copy to clipboard multiple rows in History of Updates. Helpful for troubleshooting, debug, documentation etc.

Nevermind, she's gone before I got the chance to post this. :(

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Drugwash wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:18 pm
- provide a 3-way option for the default update details: Packages, Description, Changelog. Reason is I always end up switching to Changelog so that would save me a click.
I could also just save the last state but personally I wouldn't be a fan. Might be simpler than a selector. I'll think about it.
Drugwash wrote:
- provide an option to always open the Downloading and Installing dialogs in expanded state, with suboption to remember dialog size and position.
Thanks for the suggestion but no, don't think I'll do that.
Drugwash wrote:
- add ability to select and copy to clipboard multiple rows in History of Updates. Helpful for troubleshooting, debug, documentation etc.
I'll put it on the list.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:23 am

gm10 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:22 pm
I could also just save the last state [...]
Last state may differ if one switches to a different tab and doesn't switch back. Otherwise yes, it would be the simplest solution.
There's also radioboxes, I'm not a big fan of them but considering one doesn't stare at the preferences all day long every day... Dunno, whatever fits.
gm10 wrote:
[...] no, don't think I'll do that.
Too bad, that one is actually important, especially the Downloading dialog which shows exactly what is being downloaded and where from. I've had the surprise before of finding the default repository being used instead of what I had set previously - probably after some package update. So I like to keep an eye on packages and links (which are long and always require window resize), as well as on download speed (and switch repositories later on if one appears too slow or throwing errors).
gm10 wrote:
I'll put it on the list.
Thank you very much.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:39 am

Drugwash wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:23 am
gm10 wrote:
[...] no, don't think I'll do that.
Too bad, that one is actually important, especially the Downloading dialog which shows exactly what is being downloaded and where from. I've had the surprise before of finding the default repository being used instead of what I had set previously - probably after some package update.
Repositories do not get changed from updates, it's something you did somehow. So no, I think that's a feature of no general interest, not going to add it, sry.

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:39 am
Repositories do not get changed from updates [...]
Somehow it happened, can't remember if it was on this installation after the unwanted update to 19.2 beta, or before on the Frankenmint.
But it's alright, not gonna twist your arm.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:33 pm

PSA on proxy support: Fairly big update tonight across most packages, which, among other things, moves all tools except for mintinstall away from using aptdaemon in favour of using Synaptic, i.e. what Update Manager has been using all along. The main reason for doing this is that those tools did not support proxy servers and aptdaemon has no working proxy support. Synaptic has its own drawbacks but I do not have the time to write my own, working python library for this right now. Since I am running it through a new common wrapper library that I set up though you will be asked for authentication to "Linux Mint Package Management", not for Synaptic, but that's what it is.

I had some early testing done one the driver manager by one user who originally asked for proxy support to get through their corporate firewall. Hopefully this will all work correctly now, do let me know. User-configured proxy servers should be supported as well, although only on the protocol level, I do not support complex proxy configurations that are possible with a .pac script.

As to mintinstall (Software Manager), switching that one over would be a bit more complicated and you'd lose the ability to chain installations, so unless a proxy user specifically asks for this I'll not bother with that one.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:12 pm

Load of updates today - mintsystem, mintsources, mintmenu, mintdrivers, and mint-common. Tried to update everything at one go, to get

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-common_1%3a2.1.3~gm10_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache', which is also in package mintupdate 1:5.8.4~gm10
Opening the Details reveals

(Reading database ... 611732 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mint-common_1%3a2.1.3~gm10_all.deb ...
Unpacking mint-common (1:2.1.3~gm10) over (1:2.1.2~gm10) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-common_1%3a2.1.3~gm10_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/mint-refresh-cache', which is also in package mintupdate 1:5.8.4~gm10
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/mint-common_1%3a2.1.3~gm10_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
I suspected mint-common might be the culprit, so I tried installing mint-common first by itself and I tried to install everything except mint-common, but got the same results.

Return to “Community Projects”