[SOLVED] Not enough diskspace allocated at installation.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobotMan42

[SOLVED] Not enough diskspace allocated at installation.

Post by RobotMan42 »

New installation. Allocated 100GB as Unallocated space, but when Mint 19.2 installed,
it only used 20GB (probably my fault).

Now I have a Linux system sitting in 18.63 GB and 79GB unallocated space.

1. Can I simply use Windows the extend the Linux partition? I not, then
2. I did a basic install - should I uninstall Linux and start again? or
3. Is there a simple newbie way to extend the filesystem in Mint?

Thanks

See gm10's reply - It worked just fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Not enough diskspace allocated at installation.

Post by Pjotr »

RobotMan42 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:38 am New installation.
Start again by doing a clean new installation. Easiest way. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If the unallocated space is to right of the install partition, you could use GParted to extend the installed area into it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Yes, likely gparted will work. It is in the software manager. Once installed launch it and after entering your password you will see the user GUI interface. You highlight the partition you want to resize and right click it. Choose resize. You can drag the slider until no space is left. Now click resize. Once it's done resizing you still have to go up to the toolbar and click the arrow on the right "apply changes" Once it completes, you are good.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

RobotMan42 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:38 am 3. Is there a simple newbie way to extend the filesystem in Mint?
Yes, it's very simple, no need to install anything. Go Mint menu > Disks > left-click the drive to the left and the partition to extend on the right > click the cogs icon below the partitions > select Resize > pull the slider all the way to the right > click Resize up top > Done. :)

(if you cannot extend to the right then post a screenshot of the partition layout)
Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:45 am Start again by doing a clean new installation. Easiest way. :wink:
Really...? :P
rjsrjs

Post by rjsrjs »

Probably would be best to boot up a live USB or CD and increase your unallocated disk space using Gparted. Run Gparted from your live USB or CD.

Good Luck.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

When I install Mint...I always choose..."Erase Disk and Install Linux Mint". The Mint Installation creates one Partition...Root and it is Dynamic so I never have any problems with Disk space and a 500GB Drive helps too. Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 pmYes, it's very simple, no need to install anything. Go Mint menu > Disks > left-click the drive to the left and the partition to extend on the right > click the cogs icon below the partitions > select Resize > pull the slider all the way to the right > click Resize up top > Done. :)
Just to confirm I'm reading correctly. Does this work even if the partition in question is mounted?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

pbear wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:37 pm
gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 pmYes, it's very simple, no need to install anything. Go Mint menu > Disks > left-click the drive to the left and the partition to extend on the right > click the cogs icon below the partitions > select Resize > pull the slider all the way to the right > click Resize up top > Done. :)
Just to confirm I'm reading correctly. Does this work even if the partition in question is mounted?
Confirming.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 pm
Confirming.
Thanks. Till now, have been recommending GParted in live session. This, of course, is much simpler.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

pbear wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 pm
gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 pm
Confirming.
Thanks. Till now, have been recommending GParted in live session. This, of course, is much simpler.
As long as he can just extend into adjacent unallocated space to the right. As soon as you need to move partitions around then it's live session time indeed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 pmAs long as he can just extend into adjacent unallocated space to the right. As soon as you need to move partitions around then it's live session time indeed.
Gotcha.
RobotMan42

Post by RobotMan42 »

gm10 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:15 pm
RobotMan42 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:38 am 3. Is there a simple newbie way to extend the filesystem in Mint?
Yes, it's very simple, no need to install anything. Go Mint menu > Disks > left-click the drive to the left and the partition to extend on the right > click the cogs icon below the partitions > select Resize > pull the slider all the way to the right > click Resize up top > Done. :)

(if you cannot extend to the right then post a screenshot of the partition layout)
Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:45 am Start again by doing a clean new installation. Easiest way. :wink:
Really...? :P
Thank you very much. So easy - I now have a new partition of 105GB - took all of 10 seconds to fix.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

You're quite welcome. Certainly beats reinstalling. ;)

Also welcome to Linux Mint!
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Not enough diskspace allocated at installation.

Post by decrepit »

yes thanks GM10 I didn't think anything was possible on a mounted partition.

Return to “Beginner Questions”