What Software R U Using for System Backups

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FenderGuy

What Software R U Using for System Backups

Post by FenderGuy »

Well, heretofore, I was using Redo Backup to backup the Linux Mint 19.2 (Cinnamon) installation on our Samsung Notebook; however, since the installation, Redo Backup has been acting wonky - it keeps running after the timer indicates that it's supposed to be finished. I manually stopped the program and there IS a backup file created, but I'm hesitant to test it because I have a working system right now.

What software are you guys using to back up your Linux Mint install images (and please don't recommend Timeshift - I prefer something more geared to the neophyte :roll:).

Thanks, guys! :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: What Software R U Using for System Backups

Post by JoeFootball »

FenderGuy wrote: What software are you guys using to back up your Linux Mint install images (and please don't recommend Timeshift - I prefer something more geared to the neophyte :roll:).
For complete system backups, I use Clonezilla Live.

It archives the entire hard drive, so if the physical drive fails, I just replace it, and image the drive. Alas, it's an inefficient backup methodology, as I'm completely backing up everything every time, but it only archives the used blocks on the disk, so it's not the full drive size. I have an external hard drive as a repository, and as I need room, I just delete the oldest archives.

A caveat that the user interface is old school, and so-called neophytes (and others) are hesitant because of it, as well of the numerous options it offers. That said, it works as advertised, and I use the defaults the vast majority of the time.

Joe
rjsrjs

Post by rjsrjs »

To backup my system files on to two different USB HDD's I use Timeshift. Used to back up system and Home Dir with Timeshift and used it to put on another laptop and it worked great. Am running out of USB disk space so now backing up system files only with Timeshift.

To backup Home Dir I'm using Grsync, Luckybackup, Mint backup Tool.
All seem to backup fine but haven't had to restore anything yet. Checked them with file manager and as far as I can tell everything is there if needed.
One of these days I'll try Clonezilla when I get another Lenovo Laptop to experiment on.
Good Luck.
Last edited by rjsrjs on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

FenderGuy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 pm ...
What software are you guys using to back up your Linux Mint install images (and please don't recommend Timeshift - I prefer something more geared to the neophyte :roll:).

To be frank, Timeshift is one of the easiest programs to use---much easier than Clonezilla.

I use Aptik in addition to Timeshift. Aptik (version 18.x) is free, but no longer maintained. Version 19 is $25. Aptik has always been easy to use.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

FenderGuy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 pm What software are you guys using to back up your Linux Mint install images (and please don't recommend Timeshift - I prefer something more geared to the neophyte :roll:).
Have a look at this...works perfectly and easy to use...viewtopic.php?f=42&t=264431#p1434480 Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Why do people keep promoting Timeshift as a backup solution when it clearly is no such thing. Even the author says it is not a backup tool.
FenderGuy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 pm ... and please don't recommend Timeshift ...
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm Why do people keep promoting Timeshift as a backup solution when it clearly is no such thing. Even the author says it is not a backup tool.
FenderGuy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 pm ... and please don't recommend Timeshift ...
+1
I love Timeshift, but not for backups.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

catweazel wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm Why do people keep promoting Timeshift as a backup solution when it clearly is no such thing. Even the author says it is not a backup tool.
Because the title of thread asks "...for System Backups" which Timeshift does. Plus, FenderGuy was looking for something geared to the neophyte and Timeshift is one of the easiest programs to use.

The default settings for Timeshift don't include user data, but you can include it so that Timeshift can be used as a backup program. I recommend a separate disk to hold the snapshots. Then if you set Timeshift to include your home directory, it will backup your data too.

When Timeshift creates the first snapshot, it creates a copy of everything so it has a baseline, then after that, when any additional snapshots are created, the changes of any directories/files from that baseline are copied to a separate snapshot directory.

Easy to restore your computer to a prior time---and if you want, using a file manager, you can browse those snapshot directories and restore a single file or directory. I don't think Clonezilla can to that.

Not knocking Clonezilla, but for a neophyte, it's not the easiest to use.
Last edited by JerryF on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

JerryF wrote: ... using a file manager, you can browse those snapshot directories and restore a single file or directory. I don't think Clonezilla can to that.
Actually, you can do that with a Clonezilla archive, but it's admittedly a cumbersome process.
JerryF wrote: Not knocking Clonezilla, but for a neophyte, it's not the easiest to use.
It's actually easier than it first appears. It's the text-based UI and number of available options that makes it appear daunting. That said, I would agree that perhaps there are better "neophyte-oriented" solutions.

One of these days, I have to put together a Clonezilla tutorial. :)

Joe
athi

Post by athi »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:59 pm It's actually easier than it first appears. It's the text-based UI and number of available options that makes it appear daunting. That said, I would agree that perhaps there are better "neophyte-oriented" solutions.

One of these days, I have to put together a Clonezilla tutorial. :)

Joe
Yes, these old text based UI reminds me of the disk utilities from the old days (Ghost, PQMagic etc.) that can run off a CD. Simple and to the point, no eye candy.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

"If I was stranded on an island and the only way to get off the island was to make a pretty UI, I’d die there."
-- Linus Torvalds :)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Redo for partition images although macrium reflect is another one with an easy to use GUI (but windows based). For file level backup - Timeshift for system snapshots and backintime for data (/home).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

I only use Terabyte Unlimited for all my OS needs, imaging, partitioning, Boot Manager, have used their products for years and wouldn't use anything else.

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm
OveS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by OveS »

Timeshift for system backups, Cronopete for /home. Both backup to an external USB disk.
--
Minisforum X400 (AMD Ryzen 4350G, 16/512GB)
MacBook Air M1 --- iPad Air 5th Gen
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB (NextcloudPi server)
roncraig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roncraig »

Clonezilla -- no muss, no fuss. Just a straight image the whole drive in case of failure and restore the image to get back up and working pronto.
Kernel: 5.15.0-33
DE: Cinnamon
Mobo: ASRock model: X299 Taichi CLX
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Memory: 64GB
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

I always have a separate / partition and /home partition.

For data and user file backups - rsync.

I don't backup system files. If something happens, reinstall. Time-wise, it's at least a wash.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

jglen490 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pmI don't backup system files. If something happens, reinstall. Time-wise, it's at least a wash.
This is what I do also. Helps to have very detailed notes, including copy-and-paste text for all Terminal commands.

Main time savings is not having to make backup image after backup image, each of which takes quite a while to run.

Also, makes fresh install for major upgrades much easier, e.g., 18.x to 19.x, as only have to adapt the notes for changes in the new version.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

jglen490 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pm I always have a separate / partition and /home partition.

For data and user file backups - rsync.

I don't backup system files. If something happens, reinstall. Time-wise, it's at least a wash.
omg--almost exactly how I do things.
In addition to /home and a couple others I also include /var/cache/apt/archives in my rsync list,
so I don't have to re-download those files when bringing up a new system.

Best part is 'something never happens' to need a reinstall, and I molest and violate on a daily basis.

If you need a gui app for rsync have a look at luckybackup in the repositories.
This is an intuitive interface with easy scheduling.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Software & Applications”