Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
FenderGuy
Level 2
Level 2

What Software R U Using for System Backups

Post by FenderGuy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Well, heretofore, I was using Redo Backup to backup the Linux Mint 19.2 (Cinnamon) installation on our Samsung Notebook; however, since the installation, Redo Backup has been acting wonky - it keeps running after the timer indicates that it's supposed to be finished. I manually stopped the program and there IS a backup file created, but I'm hesitant to test it because I have a working system right now.

What software are you guys using to back up your Linux Mint install images (and please don't recommend Timeshift - I prefer something more geared to the neophyte :roll:).

Thanks, guys! :wink:
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon - 64-bit

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What Software R U Using for System Backups

Post by JoeFootball » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm

FenderGuy wrote: What software are you guys using to back up your Linux Mint install images (and please don't recommend Timeshift - I prefer something more geared to the neophyte :roll:).
For complete system backups, I use Clonezilla Live.

It archives the entire hard drive, so if the physical drive fails, I just replace it, and image the drive. Alas, it's an inefficient backup methodology, as I'm completely backing up everything every time, but it only archives the used blocks on the disk, so it's not the full drive size. I have an external hard drive as a repository, and as I need room, I just delete the oldest archives.

A caveat that the user interface is old school, and so-called neophytes (and others) are hesitant because of it, as well of the numerous options it offers. That said, it works as advertised, and I use the defaults the vast majority of the time.

Joe

rjsrjs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rjsrjs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:24 pm

To backup my system files on to two different USB HDD's I use Timeshift. Used to back up system and Home Dir with Timeshift and used it to put on another laptop and it worked great. Am running out of USB disk space so now backing up system files only with Timeshift.

To backup Home Dir I'm using Grsync, Luckybackup, Mint backup Tool.
All seem to backup fine but haven't had to restore anything yet. Checked them with file manager and as far as I can tell everything is there if needed.
One of these days I'll try Clonezilla when I get another Lenovo Laptop to experiment on.
Good Luck.
Last edited by rjsrjs on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:36 pm

FenderGuy wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:20 pm
What software are you guys using to back up your Linux Mint install images (and please don't recommend Timeshift - I prefer something more geared to the neophyte :roll:).

To be frank, Timeshift is one of the easiest programs to use---much easier than Clonezilla.

I use Aptik in addition to Timeshift. Aptik (version 18.x) is free, but no longer maintained. Version 19 is $25. Aptik has always been easy to use.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:58 pm

FenderGuy wrote:
Have a look at this...works perfectly and easy to use...viewtopic.php?f=42&t=264431#p1434480 Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm

Why do people keep promoting Timeshift as a backup solution when it clearly is no such thing. Even the author says it is not a backup tool.
FenderGuy wrote:
... and please don't recommend Timeshift ...
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ajgringo619 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 pm

catweazel wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm
Why do people keep promoting Timeshift as a backup solution when it clearly is no such thing. Even the author says it is not a backup tool.
FenderGuy wrote:
... and please don't recommend Timeshift ...
+1
I love Timeshift, but not for backups.
Mint 19.2 XFCE
kernel 4.15.0-72-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (440.36)

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:11 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 pm
Because the title of thread asks "...for System Backups" which Timeshift does. Plus, FenderGuy was looking for something geared to the neophyte and Timeshift is one of the easiest programs to use.

The default settings for Timeshift don't include user data, but you can include it so that Timeshift can be used as a backup program. I recommend a separate disk to hold the snapshots. Then if you set Timeshift to include your home directory, it will backup your data too.

When Timeshift creates the first snapshot, it creates a copy of everything so it has a baseline, then after that, when any additional snapshots are created, the changes of any directories/files from that baseline are copied to a separate snapshot directory.

Easy to restore your computer to a prior time---and if you want, using a file manager, you can browse those snapshot directories and restore a single file or directory. I don't think Clonezilla can to that.

Not knocking Clonezilla, but for a neophyte, it's not the easiest to use.
Last edited by JerryF on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:59 pm

JerryF wrote: ... using a file manager, you can browse those snapshot directories and restore a single file or directory. I don't think Clonezilla can to that.
Actually, you can do that with a Clonezilla archive, but it's admittedly a cumbersome process.
JerryF wrote: Not knocking Clonezilla, but for a neophyte, it's not the easiest to use.
It's actually easier than it first appears. It's the text-based UI and number of available options that makes it appear daunting. That said, I would agree that perhaps there are better "neophyte-oriented" solutions.

One of these days, I have to put together a Clonezilla tutorial. :)

Joe

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:16 pm

JoeFootball wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:59 pm
It's actually easier than it first appears. It's the text-based UI and number of available options that makes it appear daunting. That said, I would agree that perhaps there are better "neophyte-oriented" solutions.

One of these days, I have to put together a Clonezilla tutorial. :)

Joe
Yes, these old text based UI reminds me of the disk utilities from the old days (Ghost, PQMagic etc.) that can run off a CD. Simple and to the point, no eye candy.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:42 pm

"If I was stranded on an island and the only way to get off the island was to make a pretty UI, I’d die there."
-- Linus Torvalds :)

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Redo for partition images although macrium reflect is another one with an easy to use GUI (but windows based). For file level backup - Timeshift for system snapshots and backintime for data (/home).
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:19 am

I only use Terabyte Unlimited for all my OS needs, imaging, partitioning, Boot Manager, have used their products for years and wouldn't use anything else.

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/index.htm

OveS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OveS » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:59 am

Timeshift for system backups, Cronopete for /home. Both backup to an external USB disk.
--
Ideapad 530S-14ARR - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, Thinkpad X240 - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon,
MacBook Pro 15" (mid-2010), iMac 20" (early-2008), Raspberry Pi 2, 3 and 4

roncraig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roncraig » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Clonezilla -- no muss, no fuss. Just a straight image the whole drive in case of failure and restore the image to get back up and working pronto.
Kernel: 4.15.0-58-generic x86_64
DE: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Theme: Mint-Y-Dark
CPU: Intel i7-6700K (8) @ 4.200GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Memory: 1932MiB / 32110MiB

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pm

I always have a separate / partition and /home partition.

For data and user file backups - rsync.

I don't backup system files. If something happens, reinstall. Time-wise, it's at least a wash.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

pbear
Level 9
Level 9

Post by pbear » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:18 pm

jglen490 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pm
I don't backup system files. If something happens, reinstall. Time-wise, it's at least a wash.
This is what I do also. Helps to have very detailed notes, including copy-and-paste text for all Terminal commands.

Main time savings is not having to make backup image after backup image, each of which takes quite a while to run.

Also, makes fresh install for major upgrades much easier, e.g., 18.x to 19.x, as only have to adapt the notes for changes in the new version.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 pm

jglen490 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:50 pm
I always have a separate / partition and /home partition.

For data and user file backups - rsync.

omg--almost exactly how I do things.
In addition to /home and a couple others I also include /var/cache/apt/archives in my rsync list,
so I don't have to re-download those files when bringing up a new system.

Best part is 'something never happens' to need a reinstall, and I molest and violate on a daily basis.

If you need a gui app for rsync have a look at luckybackup in the repositories.
This is an intuitive interface with easy scheduling.

Return to “Software & Applications”