Can Update Manager upgrade me by stages?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Can Update Manager upgrade me by stages?

Post by markfilipak »

I running Mint 18. I upgraded to 18.3 and it was a disaster.

So I want to update to 18.1, then 18.2, then 18.3 and check operation at each step.

Problem: There doesn't seem to be a way to do that. Update Manager wants to take me all the way to 18.3 and that's a disaster.

I could download 18.1 & 18.2 ISOs, but that seems a bit heavy handed relative to a simple Update Manager mediated upgrade.

Anyone have any ideas how I can pursuade Update Manager to upgrade by stages?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Can Update Manager upgrade me by stages?

Post by Moem »

markfilipak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 am Update Manager wants to take me all the way to 18.3 and that's a disaster.
That surprises me. I've known no different than always having the option, and the ONLY option, to go up one step at a time. So: 18 => 18.1, 18.1 => 18.2...
I think that something in your system is not as it should be.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Moem wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:11 amThat surprises me. I've known no different than always having the option, and the ONLY option, to go up one step at a time. So: 18 => 18.1, 18.1 => 18.2...
VirtualBox_Mint_19_09_2019_05_14_39.jpg
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Why not save yourself all that trouble and do a clean installation of Mint 19.2? :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Having seen that screenshot, I can only repeat:
Moem wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:11 am I think that something in your system is not as it should be.
A clean install seems to be in order here. It's probably the fastest and easiest solution.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:44 am Why not save yourself all that trouble and do a clean installation of Mint 19.2? :wink:
I don't want to have spend a day reinstalling apps and configuring the system UI. I have some heavy scripts & settings.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Here's an Idea...

Instead of total install ISOs, how about the devs create Upgrade ISOs?

linuxmint-18-to-18.1-upgrade-cinnamon-64bit.iso
linuxmint-18.1-to-18.2-upgrade-cinnamon-64bit.iso
linuxmint-18.2-to-19-upgrade-cinnamon-64bit.iso
etc.

The ISOs would mimic Update Manager (maybe even have Update Manager built-in).

A clean install of Windows is ...clean. A clean install of Linux is a horror show.
Last edited by markfilipak on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:11 am
markfilipak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 am Update Manager wants to take me all the way to 18.3 and that's a disaster.
That surprises me. I've known no different than always having the option, and the ONLY option, to go up one step at a time. So: 18 => 18.1, 18.1 => 18.2...
No, it's working as intended, there is no way to upgrade to an intermediate point release via the GUI (unless Clem makes a mistake, as originally with the 19.2 release).

I could explain how to do it manually but there is also no advantage to be gained from going step by step, so OP would be better advised to seek help with fixing their unspecified problems instead. Or, since the install is already having problems, consider a clean install of the target release like as Pjotr suggested.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:56 am
Moem wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:11 am That surprises me. I've known no different than always having the option, and the ONLY option, to go up one step at a time. So: 18 => 18.1, 18.1 => 18.2...
No, it's working as intended, there is no way to upgrade to an intermediate point release via the GUI
Oh, in that case I stand corrected. I've always upgraded to the new point release when it became available. So that explains my misconception.

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

markfilipak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:49 am I have some heavy scripts & settings.
Those might be the culprits. Probably are....
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:56 am... there is no way to upgrade to an intermediate point release via the GUI
Okay, how about using the CLI? Apt maybe? Maybe via a script?
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

gm10 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:56 am... OP would be better advised to seek help with fixing their unspecified problems instead
Problem? My problem was that upgrade directly from 18 to 18.3 trashed the system. I have no other problems.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:01 am
markfilipak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:49 am I have some heavy scripts & settings.
Those might be the culprits. Probably are....
When I upgraded from 18 to 18.3, sudden transparency appeared that couldn't be turned off and made the system unusable. Oh, and Cinnamon would crash continuously.
Last edited by markfilipak on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

markfilipak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 am A clean install of Windows is ...clean. A clean install of Linux is a horror show.
How so? I've always found it fast and easy. I've retained my entire /home through several installations and things work fine.

markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Moem wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 am
markfilipak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 am A clean install of Windows is ...clean. A clean install of Linux is a horror show.
How so? I've always found it fast and easy. I've retained my entire /home through several installations and things work fine.
It's been a horror show for me... screwing with the overly complicated menu system, reinstalling apps, forgetting to make copies of my scripts in the old system and having to reinvent them in the new system. It's just a PITA.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

When you heavily tweak and hack your system, it's likely to become unpredictable. Fact of life. In such a case, you shouldn't complain about strange system behaviour when doing something as drastic as a release upgrade.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:19 am When you heavily tweak and hack your system, it's likely to become unpredictable. Fact of life. In such a case, you shouldn't complain about strange system behaviour when doing something as drastic as a release upgrade.
I don't heavily tweak and hack my system. I have scripts and I have menu items.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

markfilipak wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:44 am I don't heavily tweak and hack my system. I have scripts and I have menu items.
That doesn't sound quite in accordance with a previous message from you:
Anyway: no need to start nit-picking. You have an individual problem with release upgrades that's not in any way general. Probably caused by you, namely by previous tweaks and hacks.

Trying to helping you with such a thing is for us forum helpers not even equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack, but to finding several needles in several haystacks.

In other words: a clean installation (preferably of 19.2) is definitely your best option.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

The hassle of reinstalling apps can be lessened by using Mint's Backup or what I use is Aptik. It can backup and restore specific parts of your whole system.

The free version 18 is no longer maintained but can do the job. Paid version 19 is new if you really want the the latest.

Check it out here:

https://www.tecmint.com/aptik-a-tool-to ... in-ubuntu/
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 am... Anyway: no need to start nit-picking. You have an individual problem with release upgrades that's not in any way general. Probably caused by you, namely by previous tweaks and hacks.
I haven't hacked anything. Why are you persisting?

Return to “Installation & Boot”