Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
joehenley8100
Level 1
Level 1

Fouled up my log-in

Post by joehenley8100 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi,
I need some advice from a log-in expert -- I think.

I installed LM 19.1 Cinnamon a month or so ago. I've been tweaking it and personalizing it. I got tired of struggling with the Cinnamon themes and decided to try Mate. So I added Mate in and started tweaking it abit. I decided I like Mate better, so I removed a couple of the larger Cinnamon packages to save space. --- BTW, I did all the adding and subtracting via the Software Manager. Things went just fine.

A week or so after I did the "clean out" of the bulk of Cinnamon, I had a reason to log out and log back in. Now all I can get is a black screen with what "kinda" looks like a field to enter User ID in the middle of it. If I type in it nothing happens. I can't get it to do anything. I can Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get a text login; and I can do CLI kinds of stuff. But no WM Mate or Cinnamon.

The only clues I have about what I might have done wrong is in the /var/log/auth.log files. It looks like it has been a mess with pam and related stuff. But I am no expert in this area. Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Joe Henley

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Fouled up my log-in

Post by Larry78723 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:05 pm

I'm not a login expert but I'm pretty sure that /var/log/auth.log is a required file. If you have an auth.log.1 file, you can try renaming it to auth.log by opening the /var/log in Nemo as root and renaming it

blueocean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by blueocean » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:41 pm

I think if it were me, I just blow it away and do a clean install with Mint 19.2 Mate. I think it would be better than trying to make Mate out of Cinnamon. That and make Timeshift snapshots before each tweak, so you can recover your system.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:22 pm

What happens if you use CTRL and ALT with F7 or with F8?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

joehenley8100
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joehenley8100 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:18 am

Hi,

Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] all give me tty access. F7 is the graphical log-in I described (blank screen with what appears to be an input location), and F8 I don't recall (think was another tty).

I'm considering a fresh install, but I had success with alot of my tweaks. Hate to give them up.

I'm 99% sure it's all something to do with screwing up the login sub-system when I removed the Cinnamon stuff, but I don't know enough about that to start into it.

Thanks for the feed back so far, I'm hoping someone will come up a silver bullet.

Joe

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:38 am

Have you tried logging in thru one of the tty logins?

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 am

you can delete manually .ICEauthority .Xauthority it's in your user home directory. use ctrl+H to see hidden files/folders (those are the files/folders with a .dot at the beginning)

Return to “Installation & Boot”