Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bean
Level 1
Level 1

Login failing

Post by bean » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:10 am

I have Cinnamon 19.1 on a Fujitsu lifebook. And my installation (about 3 months old) is suddenly failing to log in. If I enter a wrong password it behaves normally and if I enter the correct password the screen goes black temporarily before returning to the main log in screen like nothing happened.

I tried shutting down, restarting even removing the battery and restarting. I only have one user account so i cant test another.

There were some other unusual aspects of the last session. First, when I turned on the PC to see a list of boot options, instead of saying “Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon” it said “Ubuntu”. The Windows 10 I have installed alongside was still there so I didn’t think much of it.

I then opened firefox and Youtube kept crashing as soon as the page had loaded. Also, the Google Chrome app would not open.

I was troubleshooting this when I read I should install updates. I had recently installed z shell, and sudo apt-get update was returning an error (I forgot the details). I thought I might switch my shell back to bash and see. I commented out the lines under “Launch Zsh” from my .bashrc, then logged out and the problem began.

Now I need to figure out how to fix this. I still have normal boot options including Advanced mode for linux mint, and Im looking into how to use recovery mode. Any suggestions?

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Login failing

Post by rene » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:41 am

There's a possibility your rootfs has filled up. From the login screen, Ctrl-Alt-F1 to a virtual console and login as your user... if that works. It it does, df displays your mounted file systems and their use-percentage. If full,

1. sudo apt clean may already be significant enough to allow you to login graphically again (Ctrl-Alt-F7) and continue cleaning from there.
2. flatpak remove --unused or flatpak list plus selected flatpak remove foo's or flatpak remove --all
3. sudo timeshift --list plus sudo timeshift --delete --snapshot foo or sudo timeshift --delete-all

3 is the here most frequently observed reason: having configured Timeshift to store onto your system root and keeping too many snapshots.

bean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bean » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am

Was able to open the virtual console and log in. Got some errors about cant create temp files for pyenv/rbenv/nodenv (all of which are in bashrc) because no space left on device.

Df shows / is 100% used as are some /dev/loopN filesystems.

I had some problems with memory before, I had only allocated 20G or so to a certain partition (root?) and I couldnt run apt update anymore.

I think I had a problem with docker images taking up a lot of space. I had recently (session before last workingg session) installed a tensorflow image. Checked from virtual console it takes 1.17 gb, and after removing / is at 94%, and I am able to log in again.

Thank you for helping me restore it!

I must be doing something wrong with my docker installation since it is causing so much problems but I thought I read 20 GB was enough for root partition. (Unfortunately I can’t resize root without reinstalljng the whole OS).

rene
Level 12
Level 12

Post by rene » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 am

bean wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:44 am
[ ... ] but I thought I read 20 GB was enough for root partition.
It is normally, although in these flatpak and Timeshift days, space on / is more premium than it used to be not all that long ago. And apparently also as to (your) docker containers. Did you split of /home, and if yes, can they not live in your home directory? 20G total not many would consider advisable...

rjsrjs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rjsrjs » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 pm

I try not using flatpak if at all possible, and put Timeshift on a external HDD formatted to EXT4.

Return to “Installation & Boot”