Friday song

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Friday song

Post by pascal111 »

I read about Rebecca Black song Friday, and it was first time to read about "cyber bullying", and I think they didn't discuss the subject with fine way, the article I read said that the young singer was 13, another post I saw at her Facebook account that she was a teenager at that time of the song, the wrong part I noticed that don't say she was young, it means her song was bad, but in fact, I saw the song many times and I think it's nice except it's childish, it's not wrong to be childish, it's the nature of the song and I liked it, we must make that young singer to feel that her work is good and it doesn't matter if someone said that he doesn't like it, it's not necessary to make 100% successful work that everyone like it, there's differences between people, face it, your work is good, maybe not perfect, but it's nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Self-made poems and fables https://soundcloud.com/user-393369096
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Friday song

Post by rene »

A heartwarming read, and I finally feel empowered to publicly post the video of me bunnyhopping around the backyard in my underpants while performing George Baker's "Una Paloma Blanca". I mean, there's differences between people, face it!
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

Look there's no real benefit if the form of the work is perfect but its content is inappropriate, if we care in perfection we should look in the form and content together, maybe the form of the song isn't perfect but it's an acceptable content.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I was intrigued enough to visit the website and watch and listen to the video but struggle to see what this has to do with cyber bullying. Perhaps I'm to ancient to be able to decipher the message in the lyrics!

One of the singers whose career I follow on Youtube is a young Canadian, Jayden Rylee. She is an advocate against cyber bullying and has written a song about it. If you go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b9gH-OlozU you can watch and listen to it.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

I listened the song, nice one and nice kid, but I'm wondering what kind of problems can be in a free world like western side of earth?! "Cyber bullying!!", no sense, it's like physiological purposes, kid in middle east doesn't care about cyber bullying or doesn't know about it because usually he doesn't come to that level, he can have a Facebook account but he can't make a video, anyone can make an account in WEB sites and there are many fake accounts, I think "Cyber bullying" can be made by fake accounts, they aren't free persons with free opinions by the mean that they're doing physiological purposes, lies, lies that make pressure on for example young singer's mind, if this's so much, it means we have fake virtual world.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

tenfoot wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:49 pm I was intrigued enough to visit the website and watch and listen to the video but struggle to see what this has to do with cyber bullying.
pascal111 undoubtedly refers to the performance at the time having been ridiculed; to me, that it would seems obvious from the video itself. While I'd never heard of it before either there appears to be a Wikipedia article confirming: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Black.

"Cyber-bullying" is different from "Bullying" as a matter of numbers. In a case like this that's a probably significant difference, but give the normally limited world of a child or teenager in the first place, it would usually not be all that significant: having one's class or school team up against one in the real-world has more detrimental effect than facebook comments have, even for those for whom facebook is a significant part of said limited world. You are not going to undo a few billion years of evolution in which physical threats are primary with 30 years of computer-era.

And although I'm not paying specific attention to the subject it's indeed also what seems to be case each time I do hear something about it: it becoming an issue once "cyber-bullying" is perpetrated by those close to the victim in the real-world as well. If, say, embarrassing photos start circulating on the person's school. This very much spells out that it's not cyber-bullying which is the specific problem, but bullying, period.

Latter I'm certainly not a fan of but it's nothing new and, probably, for the largest part unsolvable. Once again referring to said long evolution it is especially at the age where "bullying" is primarily an issue natural to attempt to rise above one's biological competitors. Rising above others one can do by elevating oneself or by putting others down, and given that the vast majority of homo sapiens lack skills for former, latter it is for them. I.e., neither life nor, generally, people are nice. Welcome to the planet.

What it any case as far as I am concerned does not mean, and as also stated a bit more compactly by my initial reply, is that something which is bad should not be called such. Said calling does not in and of itself constitute bullying; the fact that (quoting the Wikipedia page) "Black began to receive phone and email death threats" does and that is what shouldn't happen. It seems a mostly millenial-viewpoint that anything and everything should only be praised if commented on at all and I myself fairly fundamentally disagree: something that's bad is bad, even if it might not be nice to hear it being pointed out. She did not keep the video on her phone to show to a few close friends but released to a public of millions. Once again, yes, well, welcome to the planet.
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

rene mentioned good point that the bullying in general in people normal usual life and the cyber bullying, we can consider the bullying as a conceptual genus for more particular kind like Cyber bullying. Another point, we've to be aware of things being happen normal in its forms, it's not necessary for an action happens normally to be a normal thing, it's a normal form but I'm trying to figure out the signs of the content to distinguish this kind of actions in our life, if we said welcome to the planet or returning to the reality, that means our reality is ugly and people are bad and this is a normal thing and the nature, this is wrong, we can make ugly society or a nice one, it's not a jungle, it's a civilian world, if it's a jungle, I've to get a gun and take my rights by force and defend myself and family, things like that happen in normal forms make no choice to replay because they happen in the civilian forms, they are coward techniques and maybe for some psychological purposes.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

pascal111 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:55 am we can make ugly society or a nice one
What I would argue is that, at least, any attempt at latter that does not start from the assumption that by nature it's former is doomed to failure.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Not everybody is going to like it. I got about half way through and it was too repetitive for me, and I'm not talking about the lyrics. There is some talent there and some kids are going to like it. Others won't, that's just the way of the world. If someone criticises you for your opinion, that their problem. Any person who puts themselves out in public (even here) must be prepared to accept the fact that not everyone will agree, or, possibly, like what you have to say, If this song gets a message across then it has achieved its purpose. The only message that I saw was. "It's Friday", nothing about cyber bullying or any other bullying, HOWEVER, I DID NOT listen all the way through!!!!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

I'll give an actual example happened with me, since some days I liked to visit Rebecca Black Facebook and to post something parental, I don't know why but I felt that, I send small simple poem:

"Poem:

Hearing the the harmonic words,
watching that bird singing,
he said what a nice childhood

What's now, Kermit?!
Your charm is changed
After a part of me is died

As long as the fruit is fed by the tree,
The spirit is fed by the spirit."

After a day or two, I felt to visit her page again and to post something and I post that I liked her song "ANYWAY" but there was another post from someone I don't know before me, and I posted my post and it was hidden, it's like someone stopped my posts to be shown although they are not spams and have good words for the singer.

Now this is the text of the post before my new hidden post:

"I know the video Friday was years ago, but I just cannot believe all the people who posted terrible things like telling you to kill yourself, especially considering that you were just a teenager then!!! I am just so sorry that you ever had to go through that; the internet can be monsters sometimes. But you seem to not let all those disgusting people get you down which I am very glad for. But from every one of those absolutely disgusting messages, I hope no part of you actually believed any of it; do not listen to ANY of what they said, none of it is true, they should be ashamed of themselves; you are amazing, you are beautiful, and talented, do not let them bring you down. Much love!!💖💖💖"

To me, it's right form 100% but I don't know why I feel that it's strange, there is a problem in this post and I'm trying to figure it out, normal forms isn't a proof that the content is right, this is what I'm talking about.
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

I think it's strange because some points:

- The exaggeration in love or hate emotion words like using "ashamed" or "disgusting".
- The exaggeration that you're 100% in Rebecca side, why?!
- Mentioning difficult psychological meanings like " ...telling you to kill yourself"
- Making uncertain fact that some people are trying to bring you down, it means some people in society or world are persecuting you!!! she was 13 years old, a child, a child with enemies in world?!!
- The way of the talker can make us feel that he or she understand what these bullying aiming to, and who knows the aims in fact is the real source of this bullying.
- If there's bullying, in normal way, ignorant or stupid people can do against child, but when you make it as someone persecuting a child or even adult singer with no reason, it has no sense.

So, the post is correct in the form and we feel the heart of its writer is with Rebecca but in fact, there are some strange points in the content after some thinking, this is an example to teach us not to believe necessary in forms, I read before for Pascal in one of his books in Arabic translation that he mentioned something about the form and contents of words, I think he's right.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I came across that YT video from 9 years ago. What happened was I noticed a friend of mine kept listening to the same song, so I ask if that's his favorite. He said the girl's voice was so bad, so I asked him again, "You keep listening to that song because you think the girl's voice is bad?" (it didn't make any sense to me at all).

Apparently, the video had millions of views after a couple days. The reason was people went out of their way to "down vote" the video and post insulting comments about the girl's voice.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
pascal111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pascal111 »

Huh huh ha, the unwanted result in big number made the opposite in the quality.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I must be too old. I thought the song was cute, and she's a cute kid too. It wasn't bad for a teenager song. It's not any worse than young Buddy Holly's song "wake up little suzy", although more in today's genre of a mix with rap and melody, which is more pleasant to hear thana lot of rap crap being sold out there.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Open Chat”