My elderly Acer Aspire One

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: My elderly Acer Aspire One

Post by absque fenestris »

BG405 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:57 pm
absque fenestris wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:23 pm I even found a script that displays GIMP completely on this mini monitor...
I'd be interested in that, where did you find it? GIMP is the only program I currently use for image editing. I did some searching but no luck so far. :)
Hello BG 405
to my system settings:
I found and installed mate-netbook in Synaptic while setting up the system (should improve the display on small monitors...).

To GIMP:
Somehow I found it while surfing the internet - probably this setting:

File/home/.gimp-2.8/themes/PsIcons/... ...
---
This theme modified by Martin Owens 2014
Originally from:
http://gimpstuff.org/content/show.php/T ... ent=159292
---
# GIMP themerc
#
# This file is written on GIMP startup and on every theme change.
# It is NOT supposed to be edited manually. Edit your personal
# gtkrc file instead (/home/msz/.gimp-2.8/gtkrc).

include "/home/msz/.gimp-2.8/themes/PsIcons/gtkrc"
include "/home/msz/.gimp-2.8/gtkrc"

# end of themerc
---

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:05 pm Hello BG 405
to my system settings:
I found and installed mate-netbook in Synaptic while setting up the system (should improve the display on small monitors...).

To GIMP:
Somehow I found it while surfing the internet - probably this setting:

File/home/.gimp-2.8/themes/PsIcons/... ...
---
This theme modified by Martin Owens 2014
Originally from:
http://gimpstuff.org/content/show.php/T ... ent=159292
---
# GIMP themerc
#
# This file is written on GIMP startup and on every theme change.
# It is NOT supposed to be edited manually. Edit your personal
# gtkrc file instead (/home/msz/.gimp-2.8/gtkrc).

include "/home/msz/.gimp-2.8/themes/PsIcons/gtkrc"
include "/home/msz/.gimp-2.8/gtkrc"

# end of themerc
Great stuff, thanks! For the mate-netbook, I'll look for a KDE equivalent; for GIMP I'll see if this works with GIMP 2.10 which I have on my system. Good to know there are efforts still being made to help & support those of us who can't afford new high resolution netbooks .. :wink: :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

GIMP 2.10 >>> is this an Appimage? or KDE Manjaro...

Can you take a screenshot?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

It's from the Arch repos on Manjaro KDE. Is it a screenshot of GIMP you want, or the virtual resolution(s)? I'm using an external monitor & keyboard at present but will be happy to post such when I go out a bit later & am using the netbook display. I have to keep it where the cats can't trample on it .. :roll:

The other netbook (the ES1) is running Mint 18.2 KDE but does have a higher resolution display than the D255E, so probably not worth doing a screenshot from that. It's permanently shut anyway & I use the TV & amp via HDMI when wanting to watch a YouTube video, etc..
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

BG405 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 pm It's from the Arch repos on Manjaro KDE. Is it a screenshot of GIMP you want, or the virtual resolution(s)? I'm using an external monitor & keyboard at present but will be happy to post such when I go out a bit later & am using the netbook display. I have to keep it where the cats can't trample on it .. :roll:

The other netbook (the ES1) is running Mint 18.2 KDE but does have a higher resolution display than the D255E, so probably not worth doing a screenshot from that. It's permanently shut anyway & I use the TV & amp via HDMI when wanting to watch a YouTube video, etc..
Hi BG405
thanks for your feedback. Of course I am interested in the unspeakable native resolution of 600 x 1024 pixels.

By the way: plastic parts are slowly falling away, one of three USB ports is questionable and the top with the screen can't be folded up completely anymore...
I'm thinking of making a desktop out of these parts: I still have a Mac 1984 case where the individual parts should have enough space - and with a better (or even excellent) external screen that would be a very funny and last but not least extremely secure system...
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Here's the promised screenshot:
Screenshot_20190419_231024.jpg
.. which does seem to show the image as seen on my 1024x600 screen. It's quite good considering the interpolation (or should that be extrapolation) used in this case .. certainly useable for many purposes & avoids having to change the magnification on web pages when using the monitor at home vs. the netbook's own display when out & about.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Similar experience with an acquisition from an eBay bid - $40
Acer AO532-2588
Drive - Crucial 500 GB SSD (added SSD myself - swapped out a 320 GB HDD)
RAM - 2 GB
CPU - ATOM 450 1.66 GHz, 32/64 bit
O/S - Linux Mint v19.2 XFCE 64 bit.
DISPLAY - 10.1"

NOTE: 3 rd party suped-up battery that'll last me all day at the coffee shop. I'll usually plug it in if there is a maintenance/ cleaning plug-in near my table. A kid who was drinking coffee at the next table asked me "Didn't you ever hear of a smartphone or tablet?" I replied "Yes I have several of both but prefer this."

PERFORMANCE: Does web surfing including youtube, Thunderbird email, movie viewing from file of with a USB DVD/CD drive without a ripple on the pond. Love those little blue netbooks. :mrgreen:
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I'm at times perplexed by some people who seem to grate and wax on about the obvious reality that decade+ year old computers aren't as fast and snappy as the latest I7s :?:
No **** !!
Are they 3 years old?
If they're that unimpressed then just leave the old relics on the curb on garbage collection day and move on.
Or even better ship them to me. :mrgreen:
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Acer Aspire One D255.

I bought it quite some time ago and then wondered if it liked coffee. As it didn't, I bought a cheap D522. After spending about 6 months in the airing cupboard the D255 decided to start working again and I got brave and after trying many different distros decided that Linuxmint was my favourite, so used it as my throw it in the rucksack and join me on my trips round the UK and France, on my motorcycle.

Eventually the wireless bit stopped working and then the cable bit became intermittent, so it became my backup device. Having since bought a Lenovo Yoga 300 - it was cheap! - and some hard drives, I pretty much forgot about the D255, until a month or so ago.

I went back to trying many different distros, many of which wouldn't even load - Atom chip? - before settling on, um, well, y'know. And it works great, if a little slowly at times - when I think it's probably swapping. (I put an extra Gig of Ram into the D522 and I guess that the D255 would greatly benefit from the same).

Now to open it up and hope the intermittent Internet is caused by things having been 'jiggled' around too much.

Code: Select all

jon@jon-AOD255:~$ inxi -F
System:
  Host: jon-AOD255 Kernel: 5.0.0-27-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: AOD255 v: V3.10(DDR3) 
  serial: <root required> 
  Mobo: Acer model: JE02_PT v: V3.10(DDR3) serial: <root required> 
  BIOS: Acer v: 3.10(DDR3) date: 11/17/2010 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 21.2 Wh condition: 21.6/48.8 Wh (44%) 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Atom N550 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  L2 cache: 512 KiB 
  Speed: 998 MHz min/max: 1000/1500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 998 2: 998 
  3: 998 4: 998 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics 
  driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: intel 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x600~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Pineview M v: 1.4 Mesa 19.0.8 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio 
  driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.0.0-27-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c 
  IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 1c:75:08:3c:22:b7 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 5.68 GiB (2.4%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MK2565GSX size: 232.89 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 227.28 GiB used: 5.67 GiB (2.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0 
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 980.0 MiB used: 3.5 MiB (0.4%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 165 Uptime: 22m Memory: 970.9 MiB used: 346.6 MiB (35.7%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32
Modern's good, but not all old things are bad.

Jon.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

dorsetUK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:08 am Acer Aspire One D255.
You'll probably be able to speed it up somewhat with these safe speed tweaks:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

.... and improve wireless as well, with a bit of luck (item 10 on that page).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Thanks Pjotr.

I've done most of the tips from your excellent https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html with noticeable improvement - and many thanks for that.

jon@jon-AOD255:~$ iwconfig
enp1s0    no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.
Accepting that I don't really know what I'm doing, but .... I'd assumed that as the wired connection works intermittently, so 'something' must have come loose, but now I'm wondering if that means something else.

A more than usually confused Jon.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

dorsetUK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:21 am Thanks Pjotr.

I've done most of the tips from your excellent https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html with noticeable improvement - and many thanks for that.

jon@jon-AOD255:~$ iwconfig
enp1s0    no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.
Accepting that I don't really know what I'm doing, but .... I'd assumed that as the wired connection works intermittently, so 'something' must have come loose, but now I'm wondering if that means something else.

A more than usually confused Jon.
Indeed that might indicate something that has come loose, or worse....

If that can't be fixed, I advise to buy a cheap wireless USB dongle such as this one, which should work out of the box (truly plug and play):
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-wireless ... B008IFXQFU
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Pjotr wrote
NOOOOO .....

Fortunately he continued
If that can't be fixed, I advise to buy a cheap wireless USB dongle such as this one, which should work out of the box (truly plug and play):
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-wireless ... B008IFXQFU
Phew!

Many thanks Pjotr

A normally confused Jon.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I loaded Kali Linux Large (iso 3.5 GB) on an Acer AO532h last week just for the heck of it.
I'm a long way from being Linux competent enough for Kali to be anything more than a curiosity to me like letting a chimp loose in the cockpit of the space shuttle.
It wasn't grease lightning fast but it loaded albeit the netbook was maxed out to 2 GB RAM and had a Crucial 500 GB SSD installed.
I can't imagine what distro wouldn't load on the subject netbook?? :mrgreen:
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Concerning the lack of Internet on my D255 and me hoping that something had just come loose.

Pjotr wrote
Luckily it wasn't worse. I opened it up and jiggled things back into place, put it back together and the Internet’s rejoined me.

Sadly the trackpad decided to go missing - story of my life - break something, fix it and break something else whilst doing so - oh well, long live USB mice.

Although I didn't mention it above, the D522 had a flickering screen so I opened that one up as well and jiggled things. The screens great now - but the keyboard isn't - story of my life - oh well, long live USB keyboards. INSERT: Red faced Smiley

A mainly happy Jon
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I guess GIMP is as good as it gets for the “strictly Linux” crowd.
Don’t see Adobe making a Linux dedicated Photoshop for our small “market share” anytime soon.
And Photoshop though the matriarch of image processing programs is an unrepentant CPU cycle and RAM glutton more suitable for high end I7 Windows & Mac rigs.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

dorsetUK wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 am Sadly the trackpad decided to go missing
Perhaps the little ribbon isn't seated properly - this and the bigger one for the keyboard are a bit of a PITA to fit .. I should know .. :roll:

It could be that support was dropped with the later kernels. That was the case with the Toshiba NB305; had to stick with an outdated kernel for the trackpad to work. Or it could unfortunately be hardware failure; the trackpad stopped working on mine a while back; didn't notice when it happened as always had a mouse attached & found this out when the mouse cell went flat. :roll:

Then, a few weeks ago, the keyboard controller stopped working, meaning my mini bluetooth keyboard or a USB KB was needed. :( as is also the case with mine (mind the pun) several lugs have broken off so either I'll fix this or just turn the machine into a server or something. Shame as I have the (rarer, seemingly) N570 @ 1.66GHz & performance is pretty good considering the 2GB RAM limit. I did try 4GB modules but no POST.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

dorsetUK wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 am Concerning the lack of Internet on my D255 and me hoping that something had just come loose.

Pjotr wrote
Luckily it wasn't worse. I opened it up and jiggled things back into place, put it back together and the Internet’s rejoined me.

Sadly the trackpad decided to go missing - story of my life - break something, fix it and break something else whilst doing so - oh well, long live USB mice.

Although I didn't mention it above, the D522 had a flickering screen so I opened that one up as well and jiggled things. The screens great now - but the keyboard isn't - story of my life - oh well, long live USB keyboards. INSERT: Red faced Smiley

A mainly happy Jon
Considering your travels and method of doing so, you'd do better with a Toshiba Tough Book instead.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

BG405 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:18 pm
dorsetUK wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:47 am Sadly the trackpad decided to go missing
Perhaps the little ribbon isn't seated properly - this and the bigger one for the keyboard are a bit of a PITA to fit .. I should know .. :roll:
My porky* fingers don't help in this. I'm going to find someone a bit younger to have a go at jiggling the ribbon.

Jon

* JIC as it's an international forum -porky - sausage like.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:38 pm Considering your travels and method of doing so, you'd do better with a Toshiba Tough Book instead.
Dear Spearmint2

that's such a good idea, I wish I'd thought it.

Jon, posting - slowly - from

jon@jon-AOD255:~$ inxi
CPU: Dual Core Intel Atom N550 (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 998/1000/1500 MHz 
Kernel: 5.0.0-29-generic x86_64 Up: 2h 43m Mem: 694.0/970.9 MiB (71.5%) 
Storage: 2.05 TiB (69.1% used) Procs: 177 Shell: bash 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.32 

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”