Linux Mint 7: Thunderbird and Firefox keep crashing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iantonio

Linux Mint 7: Thunderbird and Firefox keep crashing

Post by iantonio »

Hi :) Has anyone had issues with Thunderbird and Firefox suddenly closing and disappearing from the screen? This keeps happening often and I don't know how to resolve it. I'm also fairly new at Linux Mint at just a few months with Felicia, which I was totally taken with. Now Gloria is really something wonderful - totally outstanding, to say the least. Hope someone can help me out here. Hopefully, my case is one of those isolated incident. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Linux Mint 7: Thunderbird and Firefox keep crashing

Post by lagagnon »

Nope, all fine here and I don't recall anyone else on the forum posting this problem, so it must be you or your system. What exactly happens? Do they crash, freeze or completely disappear? When it happens next open a terminal and type "ps aux | grep firefox" or "ps aux | grep thunderbird". Are the processes still active or are the processes gone?

Also, try launching those applications from a terminal (ie type "firefox" or "thunderbird") and see if you get any error messages in the terminal.
iantonio

Post by iantonio »

Hi and thanks. Well, Thunderbird just disappears as does Firefox. However, it is not consistent. I just opened a terminal and typed su and when asked I typed my password and it keeps saying authentication failure. I've repeated this several times with the same result. Yet I have typed it exactly the same as I do when I log on. Wow! I can't imagine what is going on here. Maybe it is just a bad installation?
iantonio

Post by iantonio »

Wow! I got mixed up between my PC and laptop. You see I have Mint Linux 5 on my laptop and that is the password I typed on this PC with Liniux Mint 7. Anyway, I rebooted and so far all is holding steady. I can see this transition is going to take time but it certainly seems well worth the investment. So thank you very much for your most appreciated guidance.

Return to “Software & Applications”