[Solved] Would really like some advice regarding security on Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmic47

[Solved] Would really like some advice regarding security on Linux

Post by Cosmic47 »

Hi all! So I've been using Linux for a few years now and am very happy with it. Recently a friend of mine has shown heavy interest in having me install it as a dual boot on her Mac too. Here's the thing, she does all her work on her home computer. She owns an online store, does most of her banking online, and is often required to download things or open various links to lesser known sites. (This is unfortunately not avoidable)

I know the general consensus is that anti-virus is not needed on Linux and that using safe online practices is enough to keep your pc safe. However, I don't feel this really applies to her in this regard, since her work requires her to do things most users don't. I know she's gone to great lengths to keep her pc and personal information safe, so the idea of not using an anti-virus is not sitting well with her. (Or me honestly)

I don't know what the best option here is, but I'd really like to help her out. Are there any other ways besides anti-virus that can help keep her secure on Linux? Or should she just avoid it altogether?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Would really like some advice regarding security on Linux

Post by sleeper12 »

Cosmic47

Post by Cosmic47 »

Thanks for the link, however I've already read through that site and post multiple times.(Have it bookmarked in fact :D ) My main concern here is that she sometimes has download and visit sites that could potentially cause issues. The post says not to do that and be extra careful, but there's no avoiding it for her.

If her work requires her to download something and Linux comes up with a pop up saying it's a risk to install, she'll still have to install anyway out of necessity. I know for sure there are some programs essential to her work that would require either PPA's or installation via .Deb files. So with this is mind, is she better off sticking with what she has and only using Linux for simple stuff like general web browsing?
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Good link sleeper12.
My take:
IMHO the bottom line is she won't find anything as secure that's a snap to use as Mint. Good idea to enable the firewall after install.
A link with a similar question: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=301455&p=1685394&h ... s#p1685394
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Cosmic47 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:48 pm Thanks for the link, however I've already read through that site and post multiple times.(Have it bookmarked in fact :D ) My main concern here is that she sometimes has download and visit sites that could potentially cause issues. The post says not to do that and be extra careful, but there's no avoiding it for her.

If her work requires her to download something and Linux comes up with a pop up saying it's a risk to install, she'll still have to install anyway out of necessity. I know for sure there are some programs essential to her work that would require either PPA's or installation via .Deb files. So with this is mind, is she better off sticking with what she has and only using Linux for simple stuff like general web browsing?
There is nothing totally bulletproof. There's only the best the planet has. Linux is in that niche, indisputably, and Mint is tops for ease of use - enough said.
Last edited by LanceM on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Cosmic47,

+1 for reading the link from "sleeper12".

Anyone can install the sandboxing application "firejail" to protect Internet-enabled applications like browsers, messengers, etc... so that anything you encounter through those cannot harm your entire system. I recommend installing the firejail PPA or downloading the deb files from their PPA.

Firejail and Mint 19 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=273533&hilit=firejail#p1497699

There are many good posts in this forum on securing your system including for "online banking", etc... Recommend changing the ISP connection's default DNS servers to Cloudflare or even better setting up DNS over TLS and using a VPN provider's servers to encrypt your Internet activity and change your default IP address.

If you frequently exchange files (pictures, music, videos, data, documents, etc...) from anyone using MS Windows, Mac, etc... or download various files from the Internet, or provide support for MS Windows or Mac users, then installing an antivirus and or anti-malware is probably a good idea.

There are various Linux anti-virus and anti-malware applications and options available to use. You can either run an anti-virus application in "realtime" mode (always running) which will slow down your system somewhat and may provide an attack vector for hackers and other bad people targeting anti-virus and anti-malware applications, or you can run them "on-demand" which is what I do. I download everything to my "/Downloads" folder and scan just that folder before I move or copy anything from there to somewhere else. Some anti-virus applications (apps) can also provide realtime monitoring of just certain folders instead of the entire system (everything) which may also be appealing to some users.

I have Linux Malware Detect (LMD, maldet) installed with ClamAV and ClamTK. I also have BitDefender installed for secondary checks; not used in realtime. I also have various bootable anti-virus rescue discs that I can boot to and run overnight whenever I feel the need to; make sure these can scan Linux systems).

Good post:
Need for an antivirus.? - Linux Mint Forums
- instructions for installing LMD with ClamAV
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238726&hilit=maldet

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cosmic47 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:29 pmAre there any other ways besides anti-virus that can help keep her secure on Linux?
While you've read ELTP (by forum member Pjotr), it's not clear you noticed or understood the importance of the reference to Firejail. Firejail restricts access rights of the browser, which IMHO is more useful than anti-virus software. And that's on top of Linux's intrinsic security. What keeps desktop Linux secure are obscurity, complexity (each distro is different) and the tireless efforts of acutely paranoid developers.

Also, understand the reason there's no Linux anti-virus app is that attacks are so rare there's nothing to put in the database. How is it better or safer to use an OS where there are enough attacks to create a database?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pbear wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:24 pm What keeps desktop Linux secure are obscurity, complexity (each distro is different) and the tireless efforts of acutely paranoid developers.
Plus the inherent separation of user owned files from root owned files.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmic47

Post by Cosmic47 »

First of all, thank you all very much for your responses! I've read through the links, thanks for providing them. Some of the stuff mentioned I knew about, but haven't delved in too much (i.e.Firejail)

I have a couple of questions regarding Firejail. My friend prefers to use the Brave browser in favor of Firefox since the latter tends to give her issues with her work. Is it possible to use Firejail for the Brave browser as well? Are there any special steps required after installing it or is it just as simple as typing in

Code: Select all

firejail brave
in the terminal like how it is for Firefox and Google? (My apologies if this was mentioned somewhere, I might have missed it)

Also, the post mentioned that it could cause issues with printing web pages. She regularly has to print shipping labels, does this mean she would have to go through a normal browser whenever she needs to print, or is this issue a rare one?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Moem wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:42 am
pbear wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:24 pm What keeps desktop Linux secure are obscurity, complexity (each distro is different) and the tireless efforts of acutely paranoid developers.
To me the most important thing remains the central software repository model. The rest is just details that are mostly the same on Windows, anyway.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Cosmic47 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:54 am I have a couple of questions regarding Firejail. My friend prefers to use the Brave browser in favor of Firefox since the latter tends to give her issues with her work. Is it possible to use Firejail for the Brave browser as well? Are there any special steps required after installing it or is it just as simple as typing in

firejail brave
in the terminal like how it is for Firefox and Google? (My apologies if this was mentioned somewhere, I might have missed it)
Works for everything like that. You can even run sudo firecfg to simply have all supported applications be run through firejail automatically. To undo that change again you can run sudo firecfg --clean.

Note that Firejail's default policies include blocking access to the system message bus (dbus), which, while the safest choice, breaks quite a bit of functionality in a number of applications (including browsers), so that's something to be aware of. You can change all the configuration but I'd say that's non-trivial without an understanding of the inner workings of your system.
Last edited by gm10 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:53 am Works for everything like that. You can even run sudo firecfg to simply have all applications be run through firejail automatically.
Only if firejail has a profile for the application in /etc/firejail.

0ad.profile                                gnome-clocks.profile                      qmmp.profile
2048-qt.profile                            gnome-contacts.profile                    QOwnNotes.profile
7za.profile                                gnome-documents.profile                   qpdfview.profile
7z.profile                                 gnome-font-viewer.profile                 qt-faststart.profile
7zr.profile                                gnome-keyring-3.profile                   qtox.profile
abrowser.profile                           gnome-keyring.profile                     quassel.profile
acat.profile                               gnome-logs.profile                        quiterss.profile
adiff.profile                              gnome-maps.profile                        qupzilla.profile
akonadi_control.profile                    gnome-mplayer.profile                     qutebrowser.profile
akregator.profile                          gnome-mpv.profile                         rambox.profile
als.profile                                gnome-music.profile                       ranger.profile
amarok.profile                             gnome-nettool.profile                     redeclipse.profile
amule.profile                              gnome-photos.profile                      redshift.profile
android-studio.profile                     gnome-pie.profile                         regextester.profile
anki.profile                               gnome-recipes.profile                     remmina.profile
anydesk.profile                            gnome-ring.profile                        rhythmbox.profile
aosp.profile                               gnome-schedule.profile                    ricochet.profile
apack.profile                              gnome-system-log.profile                  riot-desktop.profile
apktool.profile                            gnome-twitch.profile                      riot-web.profile
arch-audit.profile                         gnome-weather.profile                     ristretto.profile
archaudit-report.profile                   goobox.profile                            rnano.profile
ardour4.profile                            google-chrome-beta.profile                rocketchat.profile
ardour5.profile                            google-chrome.profile                     rtorrent.profile
arduino.profile                            google-chrome-stable.profile              runenpass.sh.profile
arepack.profile                            google-chrome-unstable.profile            rview.profile
aria2c.profile                             google-earth.profile                      rvim.profile
ark.profile                                google-earth-pro.profile                  sayonara.profile
arm.profile                                google-play-music-desktop-player.profile  scallion.profile
artha.profile                              gpa.profile                               scorched3d.profile
assogiate.profile                          gpg-agent.profile                         scp.profile
asunder.profile                            gpg.profile                               scribus.profile
atom-beta.profile                          gpicview.profile                          sdat2img.profile
atom.profile                               gpredict.profile                          seahorse-daemon.profile
atool.profile                              gradio.profile                            seahorse.profile
atril-previewer.profile                    gramps.profile                            seahorse-tool.profile
atril.profile                              gsettings-data-convert.profile            seamonkey-bin.profile
atril-thumbnailer.profile                  gsettings.profile                         seamonkey.profile
audacious.profile                          gsettings-schema-convert.profile          secret-tool.profile
audacity.profile                           gtar.profile                              server.profile
aunpack.profile                            gthumb.profile                            sftp.profile
authenticator.profile                      guayadeque.profile                        shellcheck.profile
autokey-common.profile                     gucharmap.profile                         shotcut.profile
autokey-gtk.profile                        gunzip.profile                            signal-desktop.profile
autokey-qt.profile                         gwenview.profile                          silentarmy.profile
autokey-run.profile                        gzip.profile                              simple-scan.profile
autokey-shell.profile                      handbrake-gtk.profile                     simplescreenrecorder.profile
aweather.profile                           handbrake.profile                         simutrans.profile
awesome.profile                            hashcat.profile                           skanlite.profile
baloo_filemetadata_temp_extractor.profile  hedgewars.profile                         skypeforlinux.profile
baloo_file.profile                         hexchat.profile                           skype.profile
baobab.profile                             highlight.profile                         slack.profile
basilisk.profile                           hugin.profile                             slashem.profile
beaker.profile                             i3.profile                                smplayer.profile
bibletime.profile                          icecat.profile                            smtube.profile
bitcoin-qt.profile                         icedove.profile                           snox.profile
bitlbee.profile                            iceweasel.profile                         soffice.profile
bitwarden.profile                          ideaIC.profile                            sol.profile
blackbox.profile                           idea.profile                              soundconverter.profile
bleachbit.profile                          idea.sh.profile                           spectre-meltdown-checker.profile
blender-2.8.profile                        imagej.profile                            spotify.profile
blender.profile                            img2txt.profile                           sqlitebrowser.profile
bless.profile                              inkscape.profile                          ssh-agent.profile
bluefish.profile                           inkview.profile                           ssh.profile
bnox.profile                               inox.profile                              standardnotes-desktop.profile
brackets.profile                           iridium-browser.profile                   start-tor-browser.desktop.profile
brasero.profile                            iridium.profile                           start-tor-browser.profile
brave-browser.profile                      itch.profile                              steam-native.profile
brave.profile                              jd-gui.profile                            steam.profile
bsdcat.profile                             jdownloader.profile                       stellarium.profile
bsdcpio.profile                            JDownloader.profile                       strings.profile
bsdtar.profile                             jitsi.profile                             studio.sh.profile
Builder.profile                            k3b.profile                               subdownloader.profile
bunzip2.profile                            kaffeine.profile                          supertux2.profile
bzflag.profile                             karbon.profile                            supertuxkart.profile
bzip2.profile                              kate.profile                              surf.profile
caja.profile                               kcalc.profile                             sylpheed.profile
calibre.profile                            kdeinit4.profile                          synfigstudio.profile
calligraauthor.profile                     kdenlive.profile                          sysprof-cli.profile
calligraconverter.profile                  keepass2.profile                          sysprof.profile
calligraflow.profile                       keepass.profile                           tar.profile
calligraplan.profile                       keepassx2.profile                         tcpserver.net
calligraplanwork.profile                   keepassxc.profile                         teamspeak3.profile
calligra.profile                           keepassx.profile                          teeworlds.profile
calligrasheets.profile                     kget.profile                              telegram-desktop.profile
calligrastage.profile                      kid3-cli.profile                          telegram.profile
calligrawords.profile                      kid3.profile                              Telegram.profile
cantata.profile                            kid3-qt.profile                           terasology.profile
catfish.profile                            kino.profile                              thunar.profile
celluloid.profile                          klavaro.profile                           Thunar.profile
checkbashisms.profile                      kmail.profile                             thunderbird-beta.profile
cheese.profile                             knotes.profile                            thunderbird.profile
Cheese.profile                             kodi.profile                              thunderbird-wayland.profile
cherrytree.profile                         konversation.profile                      tilp.profile
chromium-browser.profile                   kopete.profile                            tor-browser-ar.profile
chromium-common.profile                    krita.profile                             tor-browser_ar.profile
chromium.profile                           krunner.profile                           tor-browser-ca.profile
cinelerra.profile                          ktorrent.profile                          tor-browser_ca.profile
cin.profile                                ktouch.profile                            tor-browser-cs.profile
clamav.profile                             kwin_x11.profile                          tor-browser_cs.profile
clamdscan.profile                          kwrite.profile                            tor-browser-da.profile
clamdtop.profile                           lbunzip2.profile                          tor-browser_da.profile
clamscan.profile                           lbzcat.profile                            tor-browser-de.profile
clamtk.profile                             lbzip2.profile                            tor-browser_de.profile
clawsker.profile                           leafpad.profile                           tor-browser-el.profile
claws-mail.profile                         less.profile                              tor-browser_el.profile
clementine.profile                         libreoffice.profile                       tor-browser-en.profile
clion.profile                              liferea.profile                           tor-browser_en.profile
clipit.profile                             lincity-ng.profile                        tor-browser-en-us.profile
cliqz.profile                              linphone.profile                          tor-browser_en-US.profile
clocks.profile                             lmms.profile                              tor-browser-es-es.profile
cmus.profile                               lobase.profile                            tor-browser_es-ES.profile
code-oss.profile                           localc.profile                            tor-browser-es.profile
code.profile                               lodraw.profile                            tor-browser_es.profile
conkeror.profile                           loffice.profile                           tor-browser-fa.profile
conky.profile                              lofromtemplate.profile                    tor-browser_fa.profile
corebird.profile                           login.users                               tor-browser-fr.profile
cower.profile                              Logs.profile                              tor-browser_fr.profile
cpio.profile                               loimpress.profile                         tor-browser-ga-ie.profile
crawl.profile                              lollypop.profile                          tor-browser_ga-IE.profile
crawl-tiles.profile                        lomath.profile                            tor-browser-he.profile
crow.profile                               loweb.profile                             tor-browser_he.profile
cryptocat.profile                          lowriter.profile                          tor-browser-hu.profile
Cryptocat.profile                          lrunzip.profile                           tor-browser_hu.profile
curl.profile                               lrzcat.profile                            tor-browser-id.profile
cvlc.profile                               lrzip.profile                             tor-browser_id.profile
cyberfox.profile                           lrz.profile                               tor-browser-is.profile
Cyberfox.profile                           lrztar.profile                            tor-browser_is.profile
darktable.profile                          lrzuntar.profile                          tor-browser-it.profile
dconf-editor.profile                       lugaru.profile                            tor-browser_it.profile
dconf.profile                              luminance-hdr.profile                     tor-browser-ja.profile
deadbeef.profile                           lximage-qt.profile                        tor-browser_ja.profile
default.profile                            lxmusic.profile                           tor-browser-ka.profile
deluge.profile                             lynx.profile                              tor-browser_ka.profile
devhelp.profile                            lzcat.profile                             tor-browser-ko.profile
devilspie2.profile                         lzcmp.profile                             tor-browser_ko.profile
devilspie.profile                          lzdiff.profile                            torbrowser-launcher.profile
dex2jar.profile                            lzegrep.profile                           tor-browser-nb.profile
d-feet.profile                             lzfgrep.profile                           tor-browser_nb.profile
dia.profile                                lzgrep.profile                            tor-browser-nl.profile
digikam.profile                            lzip.profile                              tor-browser_nl.profile
dig.profile                                lzless.profile                            tor-browser-pl.profile
dillo.profile                              lzmadec.profile                           tor-browser_pl.profile
dino.profile                               lzmainfo.profile                          tor-browser-pt-br.profile
disable-common.inc                         lzma.profile                              tor-browser_pt-BR.profile
disable-devel.inc                          lzmore.profile                            tor-browser-ru.profile
disable-exec.inc                           macrofusion.profile                       tor-browser_ru.profile
disable-interpreters.inc                   Maelstrom.profile                         tor-browser-sv-se.profile
disable-passwdmgr.inc                      makepkg.profile                           tor-browser_sv-SE.profile
disable-programs.inc                       manaplus.profile                          tor-browser-tr.profile
disable-xdg.inc                            Maps.profile                              tor-browser_tr.profile
discord-canary.profile                     masterpdfeditor4.profile                  tor-browser-vi.profile
DiscordCanary.profile                      masterpdfeditor5.profile                  tor-browser_vi.profile
discord-common.profile                     masterpdfeditor.profile                   tor-browser-zh-cn.profile
discord.profile                            mate-calc.profile                         tor-browser_zh-CN.profile
Discord.profile                            mate-calculator.profile                   tor-browser-zh-tw.profile
display.profile                            mate-color-select.profile                 tor-browser_zh-TW.profile
dnox.profile                               mate-dictionary.profile                   torcs.profile
dnscrypt-proxy.profile                     mathematica.profile                       tor.profile
dnsmasq.profile                            Mathematica.profile                       totem.profile
Documents.profile                          mcabber.profile                           tracker.profile
dolphin.profile                            mediainfo.profile                         transgui.profile
dooble.profile                             mediathekview.profile                     transmission-cli.profile
dooble-qt4.profile                         megaglest_editor.profile                  transmission-create.profile
dosbox.profile                             megaglest.profile                         transmission-daemon.profile
dragon.profile                             meld.profile                              transmission-edit.profile
dropbox.profile                            mencoder.profile                          transmission-gtk.profile
easystroke.profile                         mendeleydesktop.profile                   transmission-qt.profile
ebook-viewer.profile                       meteo-qt.profile                          transmission-remote-cli.profile
electron.profile                           midori.profile                            transmission-remote-gtk.profile
electrum.profile                           minetest.profile                          transmission-remote.profile
elinks.profile                             min.profile                               transmission-show.profile
emacs.profile                              mousepad.profile                          tremulous.profile
empathy.profile                            mp3splt-gtk.profile                       truecraft.profile
enchant-2.profile                          mp3splt.profile                           tuxguitar.profile
enchant-lsmod-2.profile                    mp3wrap.profile                           uefitool.profile
enchant-lsmod.profile                      mpd.profile                               uget-gtk.profile
enchant.profile                            mpDris2.profile                           unbound.profile
engrampa.profile                           mplayer.profile                           unknown-horizons.profile
enox.profile                               mpsyt.profile                             unlzma.profile
enpass.profile                             mpv.profile                               unrar.profile
eo-common.profile                          ms-excel.profile                          unxz.profile
eog.profile                                ms-office.profile                         unzip.profile
eom.profile                                ms-onenote.profile                        utox.profile
epiphany.profile                           ms-outlook.profile                        uudeview.profile
etr.profile                                ms-powerpoint.profile                     uzbl-browser.profile
evince-previewer.profile                   ms-skype.profile                          Viber.profile
evince.profile                             ms-word.profile                           viewnior.profile
evince-thumbnailer.profile                 multimc5.profile                          viking.profile
evolution.profile                          mumble.profile                            vimcat.profile
exfalso.profile                            mupdf.profile                             vimdiff.profile
exiftool.profile                           mupen64plus.profile                       vimpager.profile
falkon.profile                             musescore.profile                         vim.profile
fbreader.profile                           musixmatch.profile                        vimtutor.profile
feedreader.profile                         mutt.profile                              virtualbox.profile
feh-network.inc                            mypaint-ora-thumbnailer.profile           VirtualBox.profile
feh.profile                                mypaint.profile                           vivaldi-beta.profile
fetchmail.profile                          nano.profile                              vivaldi.profile
ffmpeg.profile                             natron.profile                            vivaldi-snapshot.profile
ffmpegthumbnailer.profile                  Natron.profile                            vivaldi-stable.profile
ffplay.profile                             nautilus.profile                          vlc.profile
ffprobe.profile                            ncdu.profile                              vscodium.profile
file.profile                               nemo.profile                              vulturesclaw.profile
file-roller.profile                        netactview.profile                        vultureseye.profile
filezilla.profile                          nethack.profile                           vym.profile
firefox-beta.profile                       nethack-vultures.profile                  w3m.profile
firefox-common-addons.inc                  netsurf.profile                           warsow.profile
firefox-common.profile                     neverball.profile                         warzone2100.profile
firefox-developer-edition.profile          newsboat.profile                          waterfox.profile
firefox-esr.profile                        nheko.profile                             webserver.net
firefox-nightly.profile                    nitroshare-cli.profile                    webstorm.profile
firefox.profile                            nitroshare-nmh.profile                    webui-aria2.profile
firefox-wayland.profile                    nitroshare.profile                        weechat-curses.profile
firejail.config                            nitroshare-send.profile                   weechat.profile
flacsplt.profile                           nitroshare-ui.profile                     wesnoth.profile
flameshot.profile                          nolocal.net                               wget.profile
flashpeak-slimjet.profile                  nomacs.profile                            whitelist-common.inc
flowblade.profile                          nylas.profile                             whitelist-var-common.inc
fluxbox.profile                            nyx.profile                               whois.profile
fontforge.profile                          obs.profile                               widelands.profile
font-manager.profile                       ocenaudio.profile                         wine.profile
fossamail.profile                          odt2txt.profile                           wire-desktop.profile
FossaMail.profile                          oggsplt.profile                           wireshark-gtk.profile
franz.profile                              okular.profile                            wireshark.profile
freecadcmd.profile                         onionshare-gui.profile                    wireshark-qt.profile
freecad.profile                            openbox.profile                           xcalc.profile
freeciv-gtk3.profile                       opencity.profile                          xchat.profile
freeciv-mp-gtk3.profile                    openclonk.profile                         xed.profile
freeciv.profile                            open-invaders.profile                     Xephyr.profile
freecol.profile                            openshot.profile                          xfburn.profile
freemind.profile                           openshot-qt.profile                       xfce4-dict.profile
freeoffice-planmaker.profile               openttd.profile                           xfce4-mixer.profile
freeoffice-presentations.profile           opera-beta.profile                        xfce4-notes.profile
freeoffice-textmaker.profile               opera.profile                             xiphos.profile
freshclam.profile                          orage.profile                             XMind.profile
Fritzing.profile                           ostrichriders.profile                     xmms.profile
frozen-bubble.profile                      p7zip.profile                             xmr-stak.profile
gajim-history-manager.profile              palemoon.profile                          xonotic-glx.profile
gajim.profile                              parole.profile                            xonotic.profile
galculator.profile                         patch.profile                             xonotic-sdl.profile
gcalccmd.profile                           pavucontrol.profile                       xpdf.profile
gcloud.profile                             pcmanfm.profile                           xplayer-audio-preview.profile
gconf-editor.profile                       pdfchain.profile                          xplayer.profile
gconf-merge-schema.profile                 pdfmod.profile                            xplayer-video-thumbnailer.profile
gconf-merge-tree.profile                   pdfsam.profile                            xpra.profile
gconfpkg.profile                           pdftotext.profile                         xreader-previewer.profile
gconf.profile                              peek.profile                              xreader.profile
gconftool-2.profile                        picard.profile                            xreader-thumbnailer.profile
geany.profile                              pidgin.profile                            x-terminal-emulator.profile
geary.profile                              ping.profile                              Xvfb.profile
gedit.profile                              pingus.profile                            xviewer.profile
geekbench.profile                          pinta.profile                             xxd.profile
geeqie.profile                             pioneer.profile                           xzcat.profile
ghb.profile                                pithos.profile                            xzcmp.profile
ghostwriter.profile                        pitivi.profile                            xzdec.profile
gimp-2.10.profile                          pix.profile                               xzdiff.profile
gimp-2.8.profile                           playonlinux.profile                       xzegrep.profile
gimp.profile                               pluma.profile                             xzfgrep.profile
gitg.profile                               polari.profile                            xzgrep.profile
github-desktop.profile                     ppsspp.profile                            xzless.profile
git.profile                                pragha.profile                            xzmore.profile
gitter.profile                             psi-plus.profile                          xz.profile
Gitter.profile                             pybitmessage.profile                      yandex-browser.profile
gjs.profile                                pycharm-community.profile                 yelp.profile
globaltime.profile                         pycharm-professional.profile              youtube-dl.profile
gnome-2048.profile                         qbittorrent.profile                       zaproxy.profile
gnome-books.profile                        qemu-launcher.profile                     zart.profile
gnome-builder.profile                      qemu-system-x86_64.profile                zathura.profile
gnome-calculator.profile                   qlipper.profile                           zoom.profile
gnome-chess.profile                        QMediathekView.profile                    zpaq.profile
Plus you must run it every time an application is added that it has a profile for.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:56 am
gm10 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:53 am Works for everything like that. You can even run sudo firecfg to simply have all applications be run through firejail automatically.
Only if firejail has a profile for the application in /etc/firejail.
Actually it does not depend on the profile but a hardcoded list at /usr/lib/firejail/firecfg.config. But yes, I should have clarified that (I now added "supported" to my sentence above).
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:53 am You can even run sudo firecfg to simply have all supported applications be run through firejail automatically. To undo that change again you can run sudo firecfg --clean.

Note that Firejail's default policies include blocking access to the system message bus (dbus), which, while the safest choice, breaks quite a bit of functionality in a number of applications (including browsers), so that's something to be aware of. You can change all the configuration but I'd say that's non-trivial without an understanding of the inner workings of your system.
Because of that, I strongly discourage to do this....

It's good to know that this feature exists (I didn't know it), but for the vast majority of users applying this feature will create untold misery. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Cosmic47 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:54 amAre there any special steps required after installing [Firejail]
Installing Firejail is simple. Be aware the repo version usually lags a bit. OTOH, it updates automatically, whereas installing from deb file requires the user to monitor updates. Also, see this post by Fred Barclay (a member of the dev team) on how to do manual updates.

An important wrinkle is how to configure the browser to use Firejail. Ordinary procedure is to right-click the launcher and edit Properties, prefixing the command with firejail (lower case). Last I heard, this doesn't work in Cinnamon 19.1 onwards. Instead, per xenopeek, the same result can be achieved with a symlink. FYI, you can have multiple symlinks if using multiple browsers.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

Moem wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:42 am
This as far as protecting your system from malware or bad actors. Further, in linux one can control user access to any files/directories and or encrypt/password protect important directories or drives. So I don't understand the need for the headache of firejail.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

oldgranola wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:57 pm I don't understand the need for the headache of firejail.
Simple: what kind of access do you want to allow to your web browser? By default, your web browser can access each and every file in your home directory. Firejail restricts that to the Downloads folder and (of course) the profile folder of your web browser.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

oldgranola wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:57 pm Further, in linux one can control user access to any files/directories and or encrypt/password protect important directories or drives. So I don't understand the need for the headache of firejail.
It's for preventing applications running under your user account from accessing your own files or other applications. But you don't need third-party software like Firejail for that, the kernel's own AppArmor solution provides similar functionality. But Firejail comes with pre-defined configuration profiles for a large number of applications so many prefer it.

But there's no strict "need" for it, it's just an additional security barrier that lets many sleep better at night. ;)
Cosmic47

Post by Cosmic47 »

Awesome, thanks so much for the help and information! I'll be sure to point my friend to here and the ELTP site so she can learn more about Linux and how to keep it safe.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Security through obscurity? Isn't that usually frowned upon and generally considered to be a Bad Thing?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Return to “Beginner Questions”