Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Skype for Linux...

Post by tenfoot » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Using Linux Mint v19.2 Tina Mate.

I have lived in New Zealand for the last 57 years and communicate with brother, sisters, nephews and nieces via Skype once a week, and I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop as a dual boot with LM just for this purpose. Windows 7 will no longer be supported early in 2020 and I am not prepared to take the risk of "nasties" infecting my computer for lack of security updates or upgrade(?) to Windows 10.

The obvious solution to the problem is to use a different form of communication and that is my choice BUT (and there is always a but, isn't there!) my relations are "die hard" Skype users and not prepared to even consider an alternative - most use Windows but there are a few who use Mac OS. So, I can't go down that path.

I have installed Skype v8.52.0.138 through Software Manager and can initiate the Skype Test Call, speak a message but cannot hear my own voice in return.

Settings:
Microphone - default setting "Automatically adjust microphone settings is ON"
Tried with setting set to OFF but problem remains.

Pulse Audio:
Playback - Skype Output shown at 100%
Recording - Skype Input shown at 100%
Output Devices
Built-in Audio Analog Stereo - Port: Line Out (plugged in)
There is an option for headphones
Built-in Audio Analog Stereo - Port: Headphones (unplugged) even when they are Plugged in.
Input Devices - Port: Microphone (no other option)
Built in Audio Analog Stereo (three options)
Port: Front Microphone (unplugged)
Port: Rear Microphone (Unplugged)
Port: Line in (unplugged)

I have read the previous forum posts on Skype problems but unless I am a complete "dodo" (and that cannot be discounted) they don't seem to app;y. So, I seek the collective wisdom of members to help me, please.

This is my audio set up, as revealed by aplay l

Code: Select all

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
In desperation I did consider Skype Web but it requires me to use Chrome/Chromium browser and, try as I might, I cannot get comfortable with them.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Skype for Linux...

Post by Pierre » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:15 pm

the Skype program for Linux was unsupported, for some years,
but more recently, it seems that Microsoft has released another Linux version.
https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/
it would pay to try-out that version, and to see if it is an later version,
to that v8.52.0.138, which you have obtained from the Software Manager.

NB: you should UN-install the current version, first.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Bob M
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bob M » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:08 pm

I had similar problems and found I had to revert to ver:8.11.0.4 to get it working again. That is on Mint 18.0 Cinnamon though.

Unfortunately, it tries to update and if you let it you're back to square one.

Well it is a Microsoft product so I'd expect nothing less. :D

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:20 am

Hi tenfoot,

I just read your post and the replies to it, here are my thoughts as well.

+1 purge Skype (remove completely) that you installed from the synaptic manager, then download Skype for Linux from their website.

* Install Chrome and use it just for Skype Web. It's good to have back up browsers. Fyi - Vivaldi is a great browser although I have not tried Skype web in it yet.

* Install Rambox community edition or Franz and run Skype in that. Some people in this forum have claimed Skype works better for them in Rambox or Franz.

* If you have a smartphone, or tablet, install the Skype app in those and use it from there. Tip: I found with my Android phone anyway that certain applications (like Google Duo and other apps) do not like having the "Do Not Disturb" feature activated perhaps it interferes with notifications or something else.

*** Skype is not a secure means of communication, so I would still try to get everyone you use it with to switch to a secure multimedia messenger like Wire, Jami (was ring), qtox, "Jitsi", Google Duo, etc.. FYI "Wire" was created by ex-Skype developers
Duo wrote:Google's "Duo" is another multimedia messenger application available for smartphones and tablets and can be run from the web in any computer operating system. Duo video calls are end-to-end encrypted so in theory, yes it is safe to use. I think you might need to have a Google account, but since they are free, just create one even if it is just for multi-media messaging.
Google Duo is a video and audio calling app made by Google, similar to Apple's FaceTime, Facebook's WhatsApp and Microsoft's Skype.

Duo is free to use, enables one-to-one video and voice calls and it works across both iOS and Android devices - unlike FaceTime. It relies on your number, lets you reach people in your phone's contacts list, offers end-to-end encryption, and has nifty features like Knock Knock, which allows you see live video of your caller before you answer.
Google Duo
https://duo.google.com/about/

What is Google Duo video call app, how does it work and does it
https://www.pocket-lint.com/apps/news/g ... oice-calls

'What is Google Duo?': Everything you need to know about Google's cross-platform video chat app, including how to use it
https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-google-duo

Try Duo Web
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogi ... e.com/?web

Hope this helps...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:49 am, edited 9 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:27 am

I'm running skype V8.52.0.138 with a Logitech 400 camera and I don't have a problem with it. Mint 19.2 XFCE
Have you gone to Settings to see if your webcam is detected?
Help -> About Skype -> Settings
I have a laptop running Mint 19.2 Cinnamon and haven't tried skype on it yet. I'll take it to work in the morning and check to see if the camera and audio work on it. I have an Acer Aspire S3 laptop.

Rtep
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rtep » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:32 am

From time when Microsoft bought Skyp their service start tgoing to the drain. Then I tried "What'sup" application. Their service after time start doing same things....disconnecting, "jaged" audio.....Now I'm running VIBER. So far so good. Good thing is....with Viber installed on your phone, you can install MANY Viber's on any desktop, laptop, tablet...as you need it. All with just ONE phone number. Try it.

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:19 am

Just confirming that I tried skype on the laptop and both audio and video worked.

Return to “Software & Applications”