Remote desktop access

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Remote desktop access

Post by earthlingkc »

I've been using TeamViewer free version for years but they are thinking all uses are 'commercial' use and only allows very short sessions.

What are some alternatives that are easy to setup? I'm seeking those that take over the primary desktop session, not a separate user terminal.

edit: I don't use Windows. All Linux, Android or Chromebook.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Remote desktop access

Post by murray »

I was in exactly the same boat as you; I'd used Teamviewer for years to connect from my home to a computer in a small home office but for the last 6 months or so Teamviewer has been accusing me of using it for commercial purposes.

I investigated several option but my position was somewhat complicated in that the remote computer ran Windows XP and so that ruled out some options that require a newer version of Windows (eg Chrome Remote Desktop). I also needed it to work unattended, eg no one at the remote location to click an "accept connection" request.

I tried NoMachine since several people here recommended it but while I got it installed ok it just never seemed to connect.

Yesterday I tried Anydesk and it worked great right from the start. Extra bonus is that they have an Android version so I can even connect using my phone. It also has remote printing and file transfer, which while not something that I absolutely had to have are a nice bonus if ever I need them.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Generally the most efficient protocol to access a Windows box is Windows' built-in RDP, one that always works on any system is VNC, and then you've got the proprietary solutions you guys are discussing.

One of the best multi-protocol remote desktop clients on Linux is Remmina.
earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc »

gm10 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:21 am Generally the most efficient protocol to access a Windows box is Windows' built-in RDP, one that always works on any system is VNC, and then you've got the proprietary solutions you guys are discussing.

I don't use Windows. All Linux or Chromebook. Looking for solutions to remote into Linux Mint desktop.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Well, what I said above still applies (VNC always works), plus the classic choice on Linux would be ssh (with X11 forwarding if the command line isn't enough).
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

+1 for AnyDesk. I use it almost every day (used to use Teamviewer). Also use VNC when dealing with LAN computers, but always AnyDesk for WAN work, because it's so easy to use.
earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc »

murray wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:32 pm
Yesterday I tried Anydesk and it worked great right from the start. Extra bonus is that they have an Android version so I can even connect using my phone. It also has remote printing and file transfer, which while not something that I absolutely had to have are a nice bonus if ever I need them.

Thanks! Anydesk is the perfect replacement. Also has access control list, which I also wanted.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

gm10 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:21 am ...
+1 for Remmina
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

gm10 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:21 am Generally the most efficient protocol to access a Windows box is Windows' built-in RDP, one that always works on any system is VNC, and then you've got the proprietary solutions you guys are discussing.

RDP and Remmina were my fall-back solution if Anydesk hadn't worked for me. I'm so glad I was able to kick Teamviewer to the kerb.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pablok »

As far as I know Windows 10 Home edition does not have RDP.

And I have not found a way to enable the recent Mint Mate and Xfce versions 19.1 and 19.2 to accept remote access.
If someone knows how to enable it I will be very obliged. :)
Please.

peter
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Win-10 Home doesn't have RDP - - so you are back to using Teamviewer OR Anydesk.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pablok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pablok »

Dear members,

The text that helped me enormous is found here:
https://thelinuxexperiment.com/enabling ... x-mint-19/

Please read all the way down, including the comments.

Success,
peter
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi earthlingkc,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for using AnyDesk

+1 for NoMachine

FYI: I still like TeamViewer (TV ) the best which also has an Android and iOS smartphone and tablet applications. I have been using the TeamViewer Linux archive file on my Linux computer rather than fully installing it and I have yet to encounter the "commercial use" message. I do not integrate it with my system although you could run "tv-setup" if you want to. You may have to check to make sure you have permission to run the "teamviewer" program executable file if it does not come up. You might want to remove completely (purge) any existing TeamViewer installation first before using the Linux archive file.

TeamViewer Linux Download for Remote Desktop access and collaboration
- scroll down to the "Other systems (not officially supported)" section and click the 64-bit or 32-bit link and save the Linux archive file, then using your file manager, right-click that file and extract it which creates a "teamviewer" folder, and double-click the "teamviewer" program executable file. I usually move this folder from my Downloads folder to my Home folder or an "applications" folder underneath my Home folder before running it or creating desktop launcher shortcuts.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/download/linux/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”