Understanding Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Erigen

Understanding Linux Mint

Post by Erigen »

Hi, I am a potential Linux Mint user, but a few questions. How does Linux connect with Windows? Namely can I open .docs jpgs etc received from Windows using friends either as email attachments or on a memory stick.? Similarly will documents and images generated in Linux be able to be emailed to Windows 10 users or be transferred on a stick.
As I said, I am a potential Linux user, enjoyed Win 7 but no wish for Win 10 and its updating problems. I will no doubt have more questions if I take the plunge. have no wish to go into the inner workings of Linux, any more than when on Win 7. The computer is simply there to do a job
Thanks Erigen :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Understanding Linux Mint

Post by Moem »

Hello!
Yes, .docs that are generated in Microsoft Office can be opened in a Linux system; generally, the software that handles them is LibreOffice which is included in Linux Mint. But there are some other options available.
Yes, .jpgs can be freely exchanged between Windows and Linux-based systems. No problems there.
Yes, .docs can be generated in LibreOffice on Linux and opened in a Windows system, but there may be small discrepancies if you are using advanced features of your office software of choice, and if they are using Microsoft Office. If your Windows-using friends are using LibreOffice, then it will all work perfectly.
PDFs work well.

Most file types can be used both on Windows and Linux-based systems with no or very little problems.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Erigen,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums,
I believe most of your questions have already been answered. And hope you'll give Mint a try.
You can try it live from a DVD or USB without changing any thing on your current setup.
You can dual boot Linux and windows and slowly migrate to Linux Mint. That way the learning curve may not be so steep.
Or you can install a Virtual box on your windows machine and run Linux mint inside that.
In any event I hope you will give Mint a try.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
rjsrjs

Post by rjsrjs »

I have found that if you make macros in windows office Excel they won't work in Libre Office Calc and vise versa, but usually everything else does work pretty well. Macros are written in two different software languages. You can also save in PDF format also if need be.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi,
If you list what software you use in Win7 (I'm a recent convert from MS) you'll get some excellent advice on equivalent software.
Remember though - as there is a difference between WinXP and Win7, and Win7 and Win10, there will be a difference between Win and Mint - Not worse, just different and in most cases better.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

As has already been stated, much of the data is directly accessible by either operating system. Your only consideration here is that LINUX is NOT Windows so, whilst it will perform the same tasks as Windows, You may have to learn some new procedures to do them. Not unlike purchasing a new car, you know it's capable of getting you from point A to point B, but some of the buttons and controls are not where they were.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Erigen, I'm in the same boat you are with 7. I went to Linux Mint to avoid dealing with Windows & the constant "upgrades" while working & the upcoming January 2020 dropping of support. I got a new system to use & had a small problem with the vendor supplied Linux OS (it's going to be redone sometime next week). Still & all, I like what I have & think it's a good decision to get away from MS in general. My system runs well in spite of a few warts. I could use it as it exists now, but figure since I'm new with only about a week & a half invested in time, there's no reason to keep it when I can just re-do it & have it 100% good. I have a friend who will walk me through it, so I'm lucky.

I'm using LibreOffice for word processing & spreadsheets. They run the same way as a word file or spreadsheet you already have, you just need to remember to use the same formatting as in your original file system (it's just a different suffix in Libre wordprocessing, .odt instead of .doc). You can use Libre to do the work, then save the file as a different format (.doc) & send it to other people that way or keep it for yourself. It's really pretty simple.

I'm using Gimp for photo stuff. Again, it will save files in a different format than you are now using (.xcf instead of .jpeg) once you work with them, but again, you can just choose the "export" feature in the file menu & save them as a jpeg so it's just like what you have already. I really disliked the constant changes in software at work I had to deal with (construction, roof system manufacturing, 3D modelling, business & engineering programs) each year. So Linux should be a better choice as I can choose to upgrade or not, at my convenience.

I guess I would say that it's a good time to change systems & hopefully you will be able to get the help you need to make the switch. If you can find someone local who is already using Linux, it might be better & easier to ask them for help with the initial setup. I'm not a nerd, just an old retired guy who is tired of having to use a product which is planned to make me constantly buy hardware & software. I could have used my old system (12 years old with Windows 7 & still running fine), but figured a new one would be better for my needs with a bigger screen (24") & more modern guts. I chose a new SimplyNUC Intel 8i5BEH & it's amazing what fits into a 4"X4"X2" module. No big desktop now, just a little box beside the screen. Best of luck, this is a good forum with plenty of good information & people who are very helpful (& patient).
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

lsemmens wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:39 am Your only consideration here is that LINUX is NOT Windows so, whilst it will perform the same tasks as Windows, You may have to learn some new procedures to do them. Not unlike purchasing a new car, you know it's capable of getting you from point A to point B, but some of the buttons and controls are not where they were.
That's a really good analogy, I'm going to steal that for my own use! :D
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

GIMP can also save as *.jpg and *.jpeg, you just have to choose it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Perhaps as a preparation: Any, really any Windows or Mac user can install very, very many of the free "Linux" programs on "his" or "her" or "their" operating system: Libre Office, GIMP, FreeCAD, Krita etc. pp. - run - and do it well.
In a second step you can change your operating system. You already know the programs.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

Spearmint2 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:08 pm GIMP can also save as *.jpg and *.jpeg, you just have to choose it.
I don't think this quite correct, if you choose "save" or "save as" it's only in XCF format, you have to choose "export"
screen shot of GIMP extension error
screen shot of GIMP extension error
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

You "export" it to jpg.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Erigen wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:06 am Hi, I am a potential Linux Mint user, but a few questions. How does Linux connect with Windows?
You can choose to dual-boot LinuxMint alongside Windows. There is a very newbie friendly install option for Windows users in the installation guide of LinuxMint. Many current Linux users have dual booted Linux alongside Windows in the very beginning to make the crossover easier.

LinuxMint can read a Windows formatted partition and all it's data: be it photos, documents, videos etc. (Not the other way around). But you have the best of both worlds when you dualboot: compatibility with your Windows friends, when some application doesnt work smoothly In lLInux. And the pleasure of stability and serenity of using Linux, when you want to. You can get to know LinuxMint at your own pace when dual booting...

One note of warning: my experience is that Microsoft Office Word documents can be interchanged pretty easily, but interchanging database documents between Windows and Linux can have some annoying format problems, with lines and columns not being copied exactly the same. Furthermore Itunes wont run in Linux. Iphones/Ipods are impossible to use with Linux. Many games wont run in Linux either, without difficult intricate workaround solutions. Hence my suggestion to not immediately abondon Windows7, but to first start with a dualboot...

If your computer is relatively new (enough processing power and RAM) and you still have a Windows7 installation disc, then you can also run Windows7 in a virtual box inside LinuxMint. People who have the Windows7 installation disc, can also still get a free upgrade to Windows10. I DISLIKED the many updates as well in Windows10, but if you keep using Windows7 while it is no longer supported you expose yourself to security risks...
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

carum carvi wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:54 am if you keep using Windows7 while it is no longer supported you expose yourself to security risks...
Very true, but this is where Virtualbox comes to the rescue .. easy to disable internet connectivity. That way it should be safe to keep using after EOS.

As for installation media, these are available at relatively little cost for a DVD + licence key; saw one on an auction site for £11.99 on a UK auction site. NB: If your licence key is OEM you'll need one with a retail key for use in the VM.

Next hurdle will be how to activate a Win7 installation after EOS ... :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
rjsrjs

Post by rjsrjs »

Tried to run WinXP in Virtual Box 6 but could not connect to the internet via internet explorer. Seems that the LAN had a connection though. I used an XP iso file and a ova VB file to install XP on VB6. Tried a hundred of fixes on the internet but nothing would work. So I just use XP to run needed programs in XP.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there does seem to be some folks, that are still using that win-xp,
- but for an specific program, and as such, typically don't connect to the Internet.

most of the "Linux programs" are also available to use on the Windows system,
and thus, a lot of the "move to Linux" is already achieved, as they are already using those program(s).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I have a winXP VM and from memory (two years since I installed it) I had no problems at all, and it can talk to the internet, not that I let it. This on a thinkpad T430, LM18.3 and now LM19.0 and VB6.0. The only reason I have XP is that the workshop info system for the better half's Saab will only run under XP.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

he may not have correctly configured the VB to allow access to ethernet or wireless.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

he may not have correctly configured the VB to allow access to ethernet or wireless
From memory, VB does this 'out of the box' with the standard NAT network adapter without you having to do anything.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:18 pm From memory, VB does this 'out of the box' with the standard NAT network adapter without you having to do anything.
That appears to be the case (my Mint VMs for example have no issues connecting to LAN & WAN); I turned off networking for my "Legacy Windows" VMs but just tested WAN connectivity in my Win xp VM & it connects OK (displays web pages). So it should work.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Beginner Questions”