Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint? [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint? [solved]

Post by pepperminty »

Can someone please guide me in installing Calibre, Windows version on my Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon? I tried using Play4Linux and Wine, but I have no idea what I'm doing. :? :(

Oct 11 1022 PM Pacific Time Update: I've marked it as solved because I found a way to accomplish what I wanted with the Linux Calibre version. It turned out that there was a plugin to do what I want, and it works just as well on Linux Calibre as it does on Windows Calibre. Funny thing is, I had that plugin installed all along, but i just didn't see it because it was hidden in the overflow button. Thanks all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint?

Post by Seadreamer »

Why not use the Linux version?

Code: Select all

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovidgoyal/calibre/master/setup/linux-installer.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint?

Post by decrepit »

I agree with seadreamer, I have the linux version and it works fine.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The desktop is dual boot Win 7 & Mint 19.2.
My Calibre library is on a completely separate USB Hard drive formatted to NTFS.
Windows & Mint are both happy for Calibre to access this library..
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Calibre have just (today) released version 4.1.
Version 4 was only released a few days ago but included a new reader.
While it was very more book-like it dropped the ability to see what page number you were on & how many pages were in the book in total plus it no longer remembered where you were in a book after reloading.
Version 4.1 has given the reader back both those abilities which was a great relief for me.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

This is another way of installing Calibre for Linux (currently version 4.1):

Code: Select all

sudo -v && wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sudo sh /dev/stdin
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

decrepit wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:11 am I agree with seadreamer, I have the linux version and it works fine.
I do have the Linux version of Calibre and it works fine. But I need the Windows version for one thing that can't easily be done in Linux Calibre.
athi

Post by athi »

pepperminty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 pm
I do have the Linux version of Calibre and it works fine. But I need the Windows version for one thing that can't easily be done in Linux Calibre.
Never used Windows version of Calibre before, out of curiosity, what is it?
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

athi wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:32 pm
pepperminty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 pm
Never used Windows version of Calibre before, out of curiosity, what is it?
I'd rather we just stick to the mission of this thread. :D
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

Another option is to install windows in a virtual machine. I use VirtualBox with good results. Install the windows version of Calibre directly with windows.
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Seadreamer wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:43 pm Another option is to install windows in a virtual machine. I use VirtualBox with good results. Install the windows version of Calibre directly with windows.
I don't have a licence for Windows. Can I still do as you suggest?
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

pepperminty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 pm I do have the Linux version of Calibre and it works fine. But I need the Windows version for one thing that can't easily be done in Linux Calibre.
Are you sure the Windows version will work in Wine? Many Windows applications simply do not.
Cliff Coggin
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:50 pm
pepperminty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 pm I do have the Linux version of Calibre and it works fine. But I need the Windows version for one thing that can't easily be done in Linux Calibre.
Are you sure the Windows version will work in Wine? Many Windows applications simply do not.
I don't know.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

You can download a copy of Windows 10 in iso form at this link. I believe you will have some time to try it before you need a license. Long enough to see if it will work for your purposes. You can create an installable version of Windows 10 in a USB drive with the iso file.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... lbgikopu00
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Seadreamer wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:43 pm Another option is to install windows in a virtual machine. I use VirtualBox with good results. Install the windows version of Calibre directly with windows.
Okay, good.

i am inexperienced with VirtualBox, Could you kindly point me to a webpage containing steps applicable for Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon users, please?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Look, you can insist on doing something the hard way. It's not reasonable, though, to expect the hard way to become easy because you're unfamiliar. As it happens, I know how to both things, Wine and VirtualBox. Either way, you're signing up for a lot of work because each has a substantial learning curve. To get you started in VBox, take a look at How-To Geek.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

pbear wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:03 pm Look, you can insist on doing something the hard way. It's not reasonable, though, to expect the hard way to become easy because you're unfamiliar. As it happens, I know how to both things, Wine and VirtualBox. Either way, you're signing up for a lot of work because each has a substantial learning curve. For VBox, try How-To Geek.
????
Insisting on the hard way???

Then link in your comment is about Windows 10, not so much about VBox.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pepperminty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm
cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:50 pm Are you sure the Windows version will work in Wine? Many Windows applications simply do not.
I don't know.
Then this is where you go to check: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=13226

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Moem wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:11 pm
pepperminty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm
cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:50 pm Are you sure the Windows version will work in Wine? Many Windows applications simply do not.
I don't know.
Then this is where you go to check: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=13226
Perfect. Version 3.X works. I don't need the latest version (4.1) for my purposes. So I guess I can go with either the Wine way or the VirtualBox way. Which shoudl I go with? By the way, I need to connect my Kobo reader to Calibre. So I guess I'll go with whichever way is compatible with this USB device.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

pepperminty wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:06 pmInsisting on the hard way???
The easy way would be to install the Linux version. Anyhoo, I won't annoy you any further. Good luck.

Return to “Beginner Questions”