Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint? [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint?

Post by decrepit »

Does kobo use a windows style "com port"?

I've got those sort of devices working in wine by creating a link between the usb and the wine com ports.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint?

Post by pepperminty »

Does kobo use a windows style "com port"?
How can I check?
tnimxunil22

Post by tnimxunil22 »

Btw, could you describe the function that is missing in the linux version?

And as someone wrote before, did you consider to ask/suggest to include this missing function to the author?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Calibre is an open source project which works in the same way on Linux, Mac and Windows. There are no operating-system-dependent functions.

You can read its history here: https://calibre-ebook.com/about#history

My Kobo reader connects to my computer via USB and is recognised by Calibre instantly. Calibre can transfer books from computer to Kobo or delete books from the Kobo. The Kobo can also delete books using its internal program.

It really does not get any simpler than this.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint? [solved]

Post by pepperminty »

I've marked this thread as solved because I found a way to accomplish what I wanted with the Linux Calibre version. It turned out that there was a plugin (obok) to do what I want, and it works just as well on Linux Calibre as it does on Windows Calibre. Funny thing is, I had that plugin installed all along, but i just didn't see it because it was hidden in the overflow button. Thanks all.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Can someone please guide me in installing Windows version of Calibre on my Linux Mint? [solved]

Post by Moem »

So, lesson learned: things could have been a lot easier, and a lot of time could have been saved, by starting a thread called 'How can I make Calibre work with my Kobo?' That was the underlying question. Deciding in which direction (Windows version) the solution had to lie only made things more complicated. Just ask us the actual question and see what happens! :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

If you Google "calibre obok" then you'll probably see why the TC wasn't a little more forthcoming about what he wanted to do with Calibre...
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Return to “Beginner Questions”