update manager issue (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

update manager issue (SOLVED)

Post by qhris »

Hello, I am having a bit of trouble with the update manager. It says its locked by another process and is temporarily unavailable.
these are the details I have;

Code: Select all

debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
Setting up libpam-systemd:amd64 (237-3ubuntu10.31) ...
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
dpkg: error processing package libpam-systemd:amd64 (--configure):
 installed libpam-systemd:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libpam-systemd:amd64
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up libpam-systemd:amd64 (237-3ubuntu10.31) ...
 installed libpam-systemd:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Thanks for any help.
Last edited by qhris on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: update manager issue

Post by kc1di »

You can go to a terminal and try this command and see if it corrects the problem.

sudo dpkg --configure -a
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Re: update manager issue

Post by qhris »

Thanks for your reply kc1di,

I had been trying to install an HP printer package and it went sideways on me. I had just installed 19.2 on my laptop at the beginning of the month and didn't have much data on the drive to worry about. I have a separate 500gb storage drive on board with my data and it was safe. I checked my Timeshift and I did set it up to make scheduled backups (thank goodness) and was able to revert to an earlier backup file. It cleared the issue, and everything is ok, it installed the updates as normal.
Thank-you Timeshift.... let this be a lesson for all :)
I will mark this solved.
rick2210
Level 1
Level 1

Re: update manager issue (SOLVED)

Post by rick2210 »

THIS DID NOT WORK!!!!!

E: libpam-systemd: 0.0000:installed libpam-systemd:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

Setting up libpam-systemd:amd64 (237-3ubuntu10.38) ...
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up libpam-systemd:amd64 (237-3ubuntu10.38) ...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: update manager issue (SOLVED)

Post by Moem »

rick2210 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:42 am THIS DID NOT WORK!!!!!
Then start a new thread, please, as per the forum rules. Posting in a thread that's not about your hardware and system, and already marked as SOLVED, is not the best way to get help.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”