[SOLVED]Timeshift Restoring

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rjsrjs

[SOLVED]Timeshift Restoring

Post by rjsrjs »

This has to do with using Timeshift restore.

I have used Timeshift before to restore my whole Linux Mint/Ubuntu OSs. I used to take a snapshot of system files and Home folder and it worked great. Even restored to an older laptop that had Windows XP on it and worked great. Now I am only taking snapshots of system files not the home folder. I'm backing up the Home folder using other means, Grsync, Luckybackup, Mint backup tool, Free file sync ETC.

My question is, if I ever have to use Timeshift to restore current snapshots of system files to me Laptop, will it interfere or delete my Home folder during the restore process? Will I have to use, say, Mint backup tool to restore my Home folder also?
Thank you:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Timeshift Restoring

Post by deepakdeshp »

If system and home are on a single partition, use Clonezilla is backup tool its much more faster than TS. In case home is a different partition, you have to backup 2 partitions using CZ
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

rjsrjs wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:11 pm Even restored to an older laptop that had Windows XP on it and worked great.
Not sure if that was possible as XP (or any Vista, 7, 10) wouldn't recognise EXT4 file system.
TS will only use EXT file system.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

will it interfere or delete my Home folder
No, unless you have changed the default configuration timeshift backs up/restores / excluding /home. Which is why complementary utilities like backintime do the opposite - backup /home excluding everything else.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

"My question is, if I ever have to use Timeshift to restore current snapshots of system files to me Laptop, will it interfere or delete my Home folder during the restore process? Will I have to use, say, Mint backup tool to restore my Home folder also?"

Here's how to configure Timeshift to ignore your data stored in your Home directory, yet completely restore the rest of the system.
Ignores-Data-In-Home.jpg
This is the default setting
Default-Ext4.jpg
So if configured like picture at top, no you will not have to restore your Home directory. However, you still need to do backups of your data for several reasons.
1. your PC hardware might die
2. The OS might fail
3. You might accidentally delete something
and so on...
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

rjsrjs wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:11 pm This has to do with using Timeshift restore.
My question is, if I ever have to use Timeshift to restore current snapshots of system files to me Laptop, will it interfere or delete my Home folder during the restore process? Will I have to use, say, Mint backup tool to restore my Home folder also?
Thank you:
No. Provided Home is excluded then you can restore at will. I have done it to remove newly installed applications that proved to be undesirable.
Cliff Coggin
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

blueocean wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 pmHere's how to configure Timeshift to ignore your data stored in your Home directory, yet completely restore the rest of the system.
Excellent tip. Been wondering how to do that lately and assumed I'd have to wade into the filters.
Frankly, hadn't occurred to me the Include Hidden option would select only those.
rjsrjs

Post by rjsrjs »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:26 pm If system and home are on a single partition, use Clonezilla is backup tool its much more faster than TS. In case home is a different partition, you have to backup 2 partitions using CZ
Not interested in Clonezilla at this time, maybe will try at a later time when I acquire another laptop. Too many important files on the current laptop.
rjsrjs

Post by rjsrjs »

blueocean wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 pm "My question is, if I ever have to use Timeshift to restore current snapshots of system files to me Laptop, will it interfere or delete my Home folder during the restore process? Will I have to use, say, Mint backup tool to restore my Home folder also?"

Here's how to configure Timeshift to ignore your data stored in your Home directory, yet completely restore the rest of the system.

Ignores-Data-In-Home.jpg

Default-Ext4.jpg

So if configured like picture at top, no you will not have to restore your Home directory. However, you still need to do backups of your data for several reasons.
2. The OS might fail
and so on...
Thanks blueocean I did the set up as per your instructions and ran to make a Timeshift snapshot. Won't really know if it will work unless I have to use it.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Were it me, I'd test it before needing. Make a fresh snapshot, then make some little insignificant change in the system and also add a tiny file to your data in home and roll it back. Then you can have confidence it works instead of wondering.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:26 pm If system and home are on a single partition, use Clonezilla is backup tool its much more faster than TS. In case home is a different partition, you have to backup 2 partitions using CZ
IMO,

suggesting Clonezilla for a newbie is a very bad thing to do...
the menu system is text based and fraught with mistakes at every corner.

I gave up on it after destroying a HDD once, and had to do a fresh install.

there are other image backups that are much better for novice users.
Macrium Reflect for one, even though it needs Windows to create the backup medium. Once that is done, it will backup anything.

Acronis True Image

EaseUS ToDo

I don't like using Online Backup methods, as I live in a Rural Area where DATA is Expen$ive.
but, https://www.handybackup.net/backup-hard ... rive.shtml is good if you have an Unlimited Data plan.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Clonezilla, once I learned how to use has never let me down in many years of using for everything from Win 7 ,10, Mint, Dual boots etc. but yes, there certainly is a learning curve. I practiced on mock setups for a long time testing making and recovering.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm
IMO,

suggesting Clonezilla for a newbie is a very bad thing to do...
the menu system is text based and fraught with mistakes at every corner.

I gave up on it after destroying a HDD once, and had to do a fresh install.

there are other image backups that are much better for novice users.
Macrium Reflect for one, even though it needs Windows to create the backup medium. Once that is done, it will backup anything.

Acronis True Image

EaseUS ToDo

I don't like using Online Backup methods, as I live in a Rural Area where DATA is Expen$ive.
but, https://www.handybackup.net/backup-hard ... rive.shtml is good if you have an Unlimited Data plan.
There are Clonezilla tutorials available which describe screen by screen steps. Restoring to a different partition than the intended one would have caused the problem. Even this shouldn't happen as CZ warns 2 times that the data on the restored partition will get destroyed.If one doesn't heed the fact, then the fault lies with the user.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

blueocean wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 pm "My question is, if I ever have to use Timeshift to restore current snapshots of system files to me Laptop, will it interfere or delete my Home folder during the restore process? Will I have to use, say, Mint backup tool to restore my Home folder also?"

Ignores-Data-In-Home.jpg

Default-Ext4.jpg

2. The OS might fail
and so on...
Wouldn't Using TS this way over write any emails or changes to firefox? Any emails you have received since the last snapshot will be lost.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Return to “Software & Applications”