[SOLVED] Wanted - Old Linux Mint Ver 5

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martyg

Re: Wanted - Old Linux Mint Ver 5

Post by martyg »

Hi All;

I just changed Memory Sticks and now I have 524288 KB of memory, instead of 393216KB of Memory..

So, that should Help.. I still have to find a way to check the memory..

Where to download a memory checker that will run on this machine..

THANK YOU Marty
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I have just now verified that https://www.memtest86.com/downloads/mem ... ppy.tar.gz works on a P1-MMX. Unzip and write the image to floppy simply as, as root / with sudo,

Code: Select all

dd if=memtest86-floppy.img of=/dev/fd0
If a / the machine has no floppy, there's more possibilities at https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm. Grab the 4.3.7 version.

(but also note that the machine displaying the correct amount now means that chances of it now also being okay have just increased manyfold).
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Complete test with default settings of 64M on a Pentium 233 MMX took 17 minutes. Times 8 or more for your 512M -- but if something is very amiss it'll bomb out much earlier
martyg

Post by martyg »

Hi All;

Rene, Thank You for the Link, it is doing the testing now, I went with the CD mode..

THANK YOU Marty
martyg

Post by martyg »

Hi All;

It passed all of the Tests with memtest86, and after having a CD/DVD player go bad, I worked up to Linux Mint ver 8, before I got a Install to go all the way through..

So, I have Linux Mint ver 8 Installed on my Hard Drive on the 586, and it is Running on the 586..

THANK YOU Marty
martyg

Post by martyg »

Hi All;

So, my next question, is --
How can I get updates for this old Version of Mint, as the old Firefox will not work on the present internet ??

THANK YOU Marty
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

You could mean two things. The answer to both is "no," but for different reasons. If you want to know whether the updates which were supplied before v.8 went end-of-life are available somewhere, karlchen said in a prior thread that they are not (sorry, no link). That, as a matter of policy, the files are taken offline. If you want to know whether there's a current browser for v.8, the answer is "of course not." That's what end-of-life means.

Now, what might be true is that you can find a browser which installs and works. No idea where you would find that. Unlikely any of the current browsers will do it, though. No one worries about backwards compatibility with end-of-life distros.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

firefox has old browsers archived if you want to use one of them. Also ubuntu may have archives of repositories, but you'd have to search it out.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Although not sure what the fun of messing with a Pentium 1 system in 2019 were to be if you are wanting to be able to simply download "updates", your 512M does mean it's significantly more capable than the average 2019 Pentium 1 so if that's what you are looking for, I'd not mess with Mint but try as mentioned before a current or nearly current edition of Debian, or possibly something like BunsenLabs: https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html.

But I'd personally feel you should be downloading things to that machine through e.g. ssh/scp from your local network. As a stand-alone machine it's just going to be an annoyingly slow computer. A Pentium 1 in 2019 should rather be an interesting "geek toy".
Last edited by rene on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

It wouldn't be too bad if he just ran Firefox and Thunderbird on it, stripped out programs he didn't need or want. The Firefox 68-esr is self contained, can drop it into a user's home, even have be a main Firefox folder next to the others. It's 207 MB installed.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Spearmint2 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:49 am It wouldn't be too bad if he just ran Firefox and Thunderbird on it
On a Pentium 1, 60 to 233MHz? Oh, you naive one... :-)
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I've done it on a Socket A before, with AMD Duron CPU. It ran OK, wasn't too slow. I think I still have one of those left here, an old Dell desktop in a closet. I can't remember if it has windows XP or W7 on it. One day I may drag it out and give it a run on something like PC Linux OS. I think the newer "systemd" distros might be too much for it to handle well.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I still have a Duron up; they were in the (single) GHz range or just below; P3/P4 era. A far cry from a P1.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Spearmint2 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:49 am It wouldn't be too bad if he just ran Firefox and Thunderbird on it
Sure, as long as he doesn't actually try to load any webpages...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Moem wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:32 am
Sure, as long as he doesn't actually try to load any webpages...
I diligently use my hosts file to block advertisements, as many of those image loading ads as I can. Firefox also makes it easy to block images from such sites. Pages load a lot faster when those are blocked. Using just those two methods, one doesn't need some adblocker program installed.
martyg

Post by martyg »

Hi All;

A couple of things, Linux Mint 8 keeps on locking up after I start it and then leave it alone for a bit.. It did this for three different times..
Now for the Good News, I loaded Red Hat Fedora 9 and it works Just fine.. And then I took my Dog for a Walk and I just came back from my Walk, and the Mouse still works..

I may in the near future, try it with Linux Mint 6 and see if I can get it to work..

Also, awhile back I looked at what version of Firefox I had with my Linux Mint 17.3 that does work on the Internet, and I have downloaded it..
If I can Recompile it and Maybe (possibly) Install it with either Linux Mint on what ever version I get working or with Red Hat Fedora, I could then have these old systems on the Internet, for upgrading..

THANK YOU Marty
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

No, go to Pale Moon instead of Firefox for that old computer. Firefox changed a lot after version 57 Quantum, and you may not be able to install older themes and extensions, but Pale Moon has maintained those and there will be such available for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Moon_(web_browser)

https://www.palemoon.org/

Repository

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon
It is not necessary to install Pale Moon to use it. Pale Moon for Linux is distributed as a bzipped tarball that can be extracted and run from any location on your system.

I just did that with FF 68-esr, and only had to unzip it into a folder in my user's home profile. Easy as can be. Just unzip, can make launchers, even find the icons in the extracted files too. First download the tar bz zipped file. To save space, then open package manager and uninstall any firefox already on the system. Then open the file manager in root or superuser mode, find any missed firefox stuff and remove it. After that unzip the Pale Moon browser and use it. That way you will get rid of about 200 MB of files from unused firefox.

Download

be sure to get the x86 aka 32 bit version for that old computer.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
martyg

Post by martyg »

Hi All;

For now, to help solve the problem, I have since started to build Cross Linux From Scratch, to solve the Problem..

I am Running that on another Computer, not the 586, once I (Hopefully) can get that built, then I will see if it will boot on the 586..

So, I will mark this series of posts as solved, and if I need to return to this, I will start another (fresh) posting..

THANK YOU Marty

Return to “Software & Applications”