So, "Microsoft" called me ...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: So, "Microsoft" called me ...

Post by AZgl1800 »

Oklahoma, USA here.

I have been getting a spate of calls explaining that the "Warranty" on my vehicle has expired, and I must renew the insurance 'now'.

Ummmm, I just answer with "Which one of my vehicles was it that the warranty expired on?"
CLICK.... :lol:

the only reason I answer those calls, is because I am a resource for folks having troubles..
but, of late, I have taken a new tactic to this situation. IF the Caller ID does not show a Person's Name, or is NOT registered in my Contacts, I let it go thru to Voice Mail.

I changed my Voice Mail message to "This is AZgl1500, if you lost your password, please leave your number here and I will call you back"

strangest thing, no voice mails for me to fool with.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Moem wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:52 am
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:43 pm If only she was alive now to see and hear "robocalls", "scamcalls", as well as a flood of "donation" for some cause or another as well as a plethora of political robocalls, and lets not forget "surveys" phone calls, etc. that we are all plagued with these days...lol...DAMIEN
No, we're not. This seems to be pretty much a US American phenomenon; over here in Europe, political calls and especially robocalls are rare.
I've never had a political call here, I have a feeling they are illegal. The only scam calls I have had were from Indians pretending to be Microsoft support.
Cliff Coggin
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

"Which one of my vehicles was it that the warranty expired on?"
Similar on the indian MS support calls - which of my PCs has the problem (given we have six in the house)?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Moem wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:52 am No, we're not. This seems to be pretty much a US American phenomenon; over here in Europe, political calls and especially robocalls are rare.
You don't know how lucky you are. On a good day I might get 3-5, but some days 7-8 in a day. I strongly suspect everyone who has our phone numbers here in the U.S. sells them or trades them constantly. Once, when I got a new number, I went for about 6 months without robo calls, but it was a short reprieve.
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,

Here in my neck of the woods the mad dialers can masquerade as a local number. The local number that appears on the caller ID sometimes is a hyjacked number owned by a hapless resident. Once my number showed up on another fella's caller ID and he promptly called me back and told me off.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

The local number that appears on the caller ID sometimes is a hyjacked number owned by a hapless resident
Happens a lot here in the UK as well. Don't trust caller ID unless you recognise the number.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Don't be too suprised if you find out that your own IP service sells your information to any and all who wish to buy.

MINE DID!!!

They got a goodly ration of crap from me for doing so, along with a "cease and desist" order as well...DAMIEN
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

151tom wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 am Oklahoma, USA here.

I have been getting a spate of calls explaining that the "Warranty" on my vehicle has expired, and I must renew the insurance 'now'.

Ummmm, I just answer with "Which one of my vehicles was it that the warranty expired on?"
CLICK.... :lol:
I'm in Oklahoma and I get calls from so called Microsoft folks and the vehicle warranty renewal crap.

I just hang up on the vehicle warranty callers however I'll screw around with so called Microsoft caller and have some fun.
I have an Android phone, and just plain got tired of the BS calls...
4 days ago, I installed an App called Call Blocker

Since then, I have not received any BS calls, either it is a coincidence, or the app works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cker&hl=en

FWIW,
I tried at least 10 of these blocking apps, and nearly all of them wanted to upload your contacts list into their domain.... uh, no, forget that.... the point of it is, if the caller does not have a Registered name with the Wireless Registry, they are BS....

I have a paid for Subscription to Verizon's Caller ID database..,
nearly all valid ph#s will show up with the name of the Registered user... ( unless they are paying for Restricted and I don't answer those )
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I lead them on and on and when they get to the part where they want you to login to their site I tell them I don't have internet service. I told the guy the police took it away from me :mrgreen:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:09 pm
lsemmens wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:35 pm I used to Install and fix the things, then moved on to Telephone Exchanges. I "retired" in 1990.
Varnished wood box and a bakelite handpiece?
old phone.jpeg
Actually, Adelaide River Exchange was from that era when I started in the Territory back in the late 70s. I never needed to fix one of those though, just replace a few cords on the switchboard. It was not long after I started in Darwin that they cut over to automatic in that town. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

lsemmens wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:51 pmActually, Adelaide River Exchange was from that era when I started in the Territory back in the late 70s. I never needed to fix one of those though, just replace a few cords on the switchboard. It was not long after I started in Darwin that they cut over to automatic in that town. :D
And they'd put man in space a decade earlier. About the time you are talking about I'd be sent out to fix private automatic exchanges. These were in firms in place of an operator. I didn't know much, just went and fixed them. Moved on to the VHF radio section as well as answer phones.
Basically, "What is it? Where is the ON switch? OK, I'll fix it."
A decade later starting PDP-8s by keying in a series of binary instructions and then feeding in punched paper tape..

Yes, those were the days.....
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I had a call from the NBN today The very (not so) nice lady from Iraq or Pakistan or some other 'stan, eventually threatened to set the Federal Police onto me. All I said was "You mother must be very proud of you". They can obviously read the phone book as they knew my address and a technician was going to come out on Friday to replace my modem because it was "faulty". She was also going to disconnect my internet so I can't post this. :D
Fully mint Household
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that's Excellent News
:shock:
did you ask her to tell Microsoft, that you will be off-line, for an while :?:
:lol:

got one, of those, yesterday, as well.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

WOW, you guys "down under" get to have all the fun...lol...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECVGN4Bsgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the IT support desk, used to be in Clayton, Victoria,
but, now, it's over in Mumbai, India.
- - same people - - different building.
:roll:

http://youtu.be/YM0k_CVQFoM
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi pierre...your link doesnt work, perhaps mistyped???...DAMIEN
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

On the odd occasions, I picked up my phone without checking the ID, I got the 'Microsoft help desk' call.
I responded once to say 'you must have dialed the wrong number because I do not own a computer. Silence for a beat, then he said, you don't own a computer?
Not at all, I answered. He hung up. During the space of several months I gave the same answer to a couple more calls. Never got another one since. This was more than a year ago.

With the Revenue Service, they'd say, how much I owe and I'd be sued if I don't pay up. Once and only once I said, thanks for calling to remind me but I already paid yesterday. Haven't gotten another call -I stopped picking up my phone.

There are so much of this nonsense going around it's no longer funny. I don't own a cellphone, twitter, FB, Instagram etc. etc. account and I feel having only a landline is a bother. Can't imagine what it's like for those who are connected all the time to pretty much everything.
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

xdicey wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 pmWith the Revenue Service, they'd say, how much I owe and I'd be sued if I don't pay up.
So I had this call from IRD and an Indian bloke. I asked for his name and said I'd call back. I did and the girl on the line laughed, knowing why I'd done a call back. "It's OK." she said, "It is genuine, he does work for us and I'll do it for you."

So someone employing a foreign sounding person who is going to do calls might not be the best option.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'm still waiting for them to "fix" my internet, given that they were going to cut me off yesterday, I'm still "not" here. :D
Fully mint Household

Return to “Chat about Linux”