Best backup utility for Mint 19.2?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Best backup utility for Mint 19.2?

Post by AndyMH »

no documentation on how to get that installed into the proper VM folder
In VB click on new and create a new virtual machine.

I normally give my VMs half of my available memory, e.g. a PC with 8G RAM I give the VM 4GB.

Create a virtual hard disk now - accept the default for VDI and dynamically allocated.

While the recommendation is 32GB I gave win7 50GB. With office 2016 and corel draw installed I have about 15G free.

You now have a VM created, but powered off. Double click on it in the left hand window to start.

Select startup disk - click on the folder icon to the right in the window and point at the win7 iso you downloaded. VB will install win7.

Once you have that up and running come back and we'll tell you how to install the extension pack and guest additions.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

This comes under the heading of "Anytime anyone tells you "All-you-have-to-do-is",,,,, You know you're in big trouble now.
Well I finally got the Oracle 6.0 VB/VM running, actually that was the easy part.
I found and copied a valid version of my Windows-7 ISO disks. (I actually have three of them now.) Complete with valid key codes.
Once I got a VM configured and RUNNING, and finally got the VM to SEE some of my hardware, (That only took two days), Then I managed to get the VM to "SEE" the ISO file in my CD/DVD. That actually started to install Windows-7 OS.
However half way through the installation - it crashed. Said the file was corrupted, and the system halted.............
OK, So I unloaded the VM, emptied the trash and cleared some space. Now the Oracle-6.0 VM wont even start. Errors finding the VM.
Here's the error message below.
SO I went back up to the Oracle web site- downloaded the files again and did a REinstall,,,,,,,,, Same thing. Errors unable to find bla-bla-bla.
Now have to figure out how to unload/dump the whole thing and start over.
Are we having fun yet???
BTW Andy, Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

Failed to acquire the VirtualBox COM object.

The application will now terminate.

Document is empty.

Location: '/home/rpm/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml', line 1 (0), column 1.

/home/vbox/vbox-6.0.12/src/VBox/Main/src-server/VirtualBoxImpl.cpp[624] (nsresult VirtualBox::init()).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee: IVirtualBoxClient {d2937a8e-cb8d-4382-90ba-b7da78a74573}
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Will you be backing up anything from the Windows installation that you plan on installing?

Timeshift does not support Windows file systems such as NTFS, FAT, etc.

If you're going to use another disk to store the backups, I'd use Timeshift. Contrary to what others have implied, you can backup everything with it.

On its first backup, it backs up everything you set, then after that, any additional backups created are only files/directories that have had any changes since the previous backup.

By default, Timeshift does not include your /home directory, but you can set it to include /home.

Here's an example of my settings for Timeshift:

Type
Snapshot Type = RSYNC

Click to enlarge
Schedule
(if you've got lots of on your backup disk, set a Monthly, Weekly, Daily schedule if you want. It depends on how often you use the computer and how may restore points you'd like.

Users
Here is where you can select if you want your /home directories of any user to be included/excluded. My setting shows that /root and /jim will be excluded (I don't need to backup either of these users. Mine (/jerry) is checked to "Include All". If you choose "Include Hidden", only the folders that start with a period are backed up. Those folders are usually for settings of different apps that you have.
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Filters
Here is where you can include/exclude any files or folders. Notice on the second line that everything is included in the /home/jerry folder. Then on the next 4 lines, I've added folders Dropbox, ISOs, Music, and VirtualBox VMs to be excluded.
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
More to come...
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Here is to show that you can retrieve certain files that have been saved using Timeshift.

I created a file called "Test document for Timeshift.txt"

Here is the original file backed up with Timeshift. Notice the snapshot directory is /mnt/LinuxBackup/timeshift/snapshots/2019-10-14_11-17-07
Shutter_008.jpg
Next is the file after being edited, then did a backup again with Timeshift. Again, notice the different snapshot directory /mnt/LinuxBackup/timeshift/snapshots/2019-10-14_11-24-13
Shutter_009.jpg

There are two files created because there was a change to the file.

So with Timeshift, not only can you revert your whole system using Timeshift, you can browse the backup directories to find a file/directory or files/directories that you my want to retrieve without doing a restore in Timeshift.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Oracle Virtualbox VM 6.0 Failure

I recently had a catastrophic Windows-7 failure on a dual boot with Linux-17.
It was not only MS-Windows-7 that failed but the whole thing, both Windows and Linux.
In the process of trying to rebuild and recover things I decided to upgrade to Linux-Mint 19.2.

My system although only a home-based stand alone computer was still a complex system. I have two hard drives which were partitioned into four major partitions and volumes. One for the Windows-7, one for the Linux-Mint-17, One which was labeled Files_Volume, These were on a one-terabyte drive. The forth volume was on a second disk and used only for additional storage. This arrangement allowed me to access data files on the Files_Volume and the other drive from either Windows-7 or from the Linux-Mint. It worked out pretty well for about 4 years.

The problems occurred after the crash when I installed the Linux-Mint 19.2 first, Before installing the MS-Windows-7. That installation went fine, without a hitch, until I discovered that I could not reinstall MS-Windows. I really don’t need Windows but I DO need my accounting package which is Windows based ONLY. That’s when I decided to try installing a virtual VM drive system. The plan was to install Windows and my accounting into that VM drive.

Here is where the Oracle Virtualbox VM failed. It’s actually a series of small failures and limitations built into the system along with limitations of the Oracle Vbox. My system is built on an ASUS motherboard. That motherboard provides access to all hard drives and USB devices during installation but then requires additional drivers in Windows. Oracle Vbox can NOT access any of those devices unless and until those Windows drivers are installed. Since there is no way to access the CD/DVD drives or the USB drives there is no way to complete the installation.
The second problem is that the Oracle-VM can NOT “see” anything beyond the /-root and /home/user_name directories. I had a huge HD with 4 volumes but VM could not “See” any of that.
It took two days to figure out how to get the VM to recognize the ISO file to install Windows. Once I managed to solve that problem the installation failed because Windows could not “See” any of the USB or CD/DVD drives.
In addition to these problems the partition/volume where the Linux was installed was only 32GB, With the Linux-Mint 19.2 and the Oracle-Vbox files the system quickly maxed out of space.
After two weeks of being overly persistent I finally decided I was pursuing the definition of insanity and gave up. I finally decided to back out and repetition and format the entire one-terabyte drive plus the second HD.

At this point I am only running that old MS-Windows-7. I may try to recreate my dual-boot system and install Linux Mint I like the Mint-19.2, and I have a definite dis-like for anything Microsoft Windows.
So time will tell.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

I followed JerryF's idea on using timeshift.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rpmckinley wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:03 pm Oracle Virtualbox VM 6.0 Failure
You might benefit by making a specific support thread to get some help with your issues with Virtualbox. I don't think this thread is the right place to reminisce about your experience.

Virtualbox can use any mounted partition on any drive as it's storage location for virtual machines. It sounds like the problem is you don't have your system configured to mount those partitions on boot into Linux so they are not available to Virtualbox Similarly you can choose to give your Guest OS access to any mounted partition on any drive as a shared folder, but it needs to be mounted on the Host system first for that to work.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

OK, It's now Oct. 22. I've wiped out my entire Computer HD's, Both drives. I've installed MS-Windows-7, got that all up and configured and running.
And now I have reinstalled Linux-Mint 19.2.. I have my dual-boot system back up and running as it should be. For those of you here that know what that entails no explanation is necessary. For those who do not know, it referred to as "How to keep an idiot occupied for a month".
Now that I have my system up and running again it's time to try to restore some of my data files.
I've got several cd/dvd/ disks which were loaded with xfburn. Those are the backup files that were burned to disk with xfburn.
The system is now telling me I don't have proper rights to open those archived files.
I'm logged in as administrator with full Root privileges.
I thought 19.2 came with a unzip utility.
All I can find is the Archive manager, which is what is telling me I don't have rights to open these files.
I also think there is a GZzip file or something like that>
Any ideas out there?
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

I went back and re-read some of the comments posted here, good stuff. SO I opened the GZ files with "Root" privileges, Copied them to a safe folder on the HD, then opened archive manager and extracted them to that folder. Then started the mint-backup/restore tool.
"An Error has occurred opening the file". I am now NOT dealing with GZ compression files, I dealing with the backup tool files.
Same old stuff, Backup tool can NOT restore it's own backed up files.
"How to keep an idiot occupied for a month !!!!!."
1200 files and documents gone to the Backup Tool.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

rpmckinley wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:44 pm I went back and re-read some of the comments posted here, good stuff. SO I opened the GZ files with "Root" privileges, Copied them to a safe folder on the HD, then opened archive manager and extracted them to that folder.
What file format are the extracted file in? Does mintbackup recognise the compressed file prior to extraction?

Mintbackup is looking for a file in these formats - tar, tar.gz, tar.bz2 or tar.xz
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
rjsrjs

Post by rjsrjs »

I have my Win XP Virtual Box "Drive" on an external 1 TB Seagate drive. When ever I want to use it I just plug in the USB TB external drive either click on VB app and load it, or go to the TB drive navigate to Vbox folder and click on WindowsXP.vbox icon and it loads WinXP with out a problem. In fact It's in a Linux Ubuntu 12.04 old Home directory I saved. I kind of ran across it by accident. First I Installed Vbox. One day I opened the Ubuntu 12.04 folder found the WindowsXP.Vbox folder and clicked on WindowsXP.vbox icon and Virtual Box program automatically ran and installed Windows XP. I didn't know you could do that. Now when ever I launch VB program, WindowsXP is there already to launch.

Good Luck.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Trying to restore backup files, I'm working with .gz files. I copied them from the cd/dvd back to the computer, "extracted" them from the xfburn archives, and then started 'backup-tool' to try to restore files. All I get is "an error occurred trying to open files "name". And nothing is restored.
Now under the new Mint 19.2 I read that the Mint backup-tool will only backup system files, and in fact actually does not even back them up, it really only backs up a list of what is installed on the computer. Nice to know what you HAD before a crash, but that's all you will get.
About my files and date, - - fortunately I also had copies of everything on dc/dvd that I copied there with xfburn. So I was able to retrieve most of them, no thanks to the backup-tool.
Which leads back to my original question; What is a good backup utility for Linux Mint?
Keep in mind that I am NOT working on a Network or group file server type environment, this is a stand-alone home pc. So I don't need something that can backup the internet.
VB - Working on a dual boot system works but as you know it's a pain in the butt. I still think a VB would be nice to have but at this point I think I would have to do a lot more research and reading to figure out how to configure that with this ASUS motherboard. The ASUS board will not install drivers into Windows untill after it's up and running. Which prevents Windows from loading at all.
Back to the archives and more reading.................
Thanks for all the interest, these issues are important to all Linux-Mint users.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

rpmckinley wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am Trying to restore backup files, I'm working with .gz files. All I get is "an error occurred trying to open files "name". And nothing is restored.
/CUT...
Back to the archives and more reading.................
Thanks for all the interest, these issues are important to all Linux-Mint users.
I use a different, and super simple strategy for backups. I like super simple, you might like it to, and guaranteed none of the problems you mention in that last post.

For my /home (first run) I simply copy, and paste (included hidden files/folders) the whole thing to a folder on an external HDD.
For subsequent backups...I skip my 3 biggest folders Downloads, Videos, VirtualBox VMs. (I keep separate backups of Downloads, Videos...) The process takes like 2 minutes. The whole thing is easily searchable "just like" the original file system. BTW I did use Grsync before, I found it to be no faster than my simple method. I didn't really like grsync as I sometimes make file name changes, etc. which creates duplicates.

I do not take system snapshots, a backup for every hour, or even day seems like ridiculous over-kill, instead I'll have a cloned drive, and I made a custom install disk, just for fun.

As far as virtual box goes, it should be able to use your USB devices...remember that you have to unplug them, to release them from host before you plug them back in for the guest, after the guest has been started. Something I learned not too long ago. Like Smurphos said that is for another thread.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

rpmckinley wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 amAll I get is "an error occurred trying to open files "name". And nothing is restored.
This probably can be fixed, but not much point. Simply copying everything to CD/DVD with Xfburn (as you did) is easier. Bear in mind my recommendation of the Backup Tool was based on the misimpression that it uses compression. As it doesn't, not worth having, IMHO.
Now under the new Mint 19.2 I read that the Mint backup-tool will only backup system files, and in fact actually does not even back them up, it really only backs up a list of what is installed on the computer. Nice to know what you HAD before a crash, but that's all you will get.
Pretty sure you misunderstand. This is what Backup Tool does for it's software "backup," but that's described on its face as only a list. The home folder backup is separate, still supported and copies files.
About my files and date, - - fortunately I also had copies of everything on dc/dvd that I copied there with xfburn. So I was able to retrieve most of them, no thanks to the backup-tool.
Why only "most"? This should be reliable, just inefficient, as you copy all the files every time.
Which leads back to my original question; What is a good backup utility for Linux Mint?
You don't really expect us to repeat all our posts, right? :D
VB - ... I think I would have to do a lot more research and reading to figure out how to configure that with this ASUS motherboard. The ASUS board will not install drivers into Windows untill after it's up and running. Which prevents Windows from loading at all.
smuphos is right, this belongs in a separate thread. In the spirit of encouraging you to pursue the matter, I will mention that installing Windows in VBox is different because it uses virtual hardware, so it's THOSE drivers Windows needs (and has). The only ASUS issue will be whether it supports virtualization, which almost certainly it does. But, please, open another thread for this topic.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

• I use redo (simple GUI but not updated since 2012) for partition images, other alternatives are clonezilla (clunky UI) and macrium reflect (windows based, you need win to create a bootable usb stick)
  • I use timeshift for system snapshots (everything except /home)
  • and I use backintime for /home.
Timeshift and backintime are front ends for rsync (a command line backup utility), they are file level backup utilities - you can restore individual files if you want. With a partition image you have to restore the whole partition.

Timeshift/backintime run daily automatically to an internal removable HDD in all my PCs. I take system images with redo to an external usb HDD. They all work, have used them all in anger.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

Agreed, VM-Box and backup's are two different issues that should both have their own threads, but I'm not going to re do everything that has been posted here for that. I'll leave it to someone else to start a VM-Box thread,,,,,, Unless I change my mind on the next project,,,,,,,,,, connecting to a DVR and security cameras.
Thanks for all the help folks, It is really appreciated..
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

rpmckinley wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:55 pmI'll leave it to someone else to start a VM-Box thread
That's not how this works. It's your question. If you can't be bothered, none of us are going to worry about it.
rpmckinley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rpmckinley »

OK pbear, sorry, I'll correct the problem and try to create a thread for both the backup solutions and for Vbox.
Sorry.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

No need for an apology. And no need for another thread about backups (this one is fine).
For that matter, you only need a thread for VirtualBox if you want to pursue that solution.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

JerryF wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 am If you're going to use another disk to store the backups, I'd use Timeshift. Contrary to what others have implied, you can backup everything with it.
Reading back through the thread, I notice this and would appreciate your thoughts on what I think is the main problem with this strategy.

Suppose it takes a week (or a month) to realize you need/want to restore the system to a prior state. Say, for example, you didn't notice right away that an update was causing a problem. Generally, the only "cost" of restoring a Timeshift snapshot is that you have to run Update Manager again and maybe reinstall an app or two. Not so if your data files are included. Now those will be restored to the prior state also (new files lost, edits to old files lost) with no way to get them back. If you have a really good memory, I guess you could pick through the subsequent snapshots (not yet deleted) to locate the lost files, then restore them manually by copy and paste, but not something I'd want to do.

Return to “Software & Applications”