HDD/SSD setup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billybaldin

HDD/SSD setup

Post by billybaldin »

I have recently switched to Linux from Windows.
The main use of this system Will be to run a Plex Server and others that go with it. Sonarr/Radarr etc.

I'm wondering does it make a difference if I put Linux on its own SSD/HDD? Is SSD better than HDD?
Is it better to keep storage separate?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HDD/SSD setup

Post by decrepit »

SSD is certainly a lot quicker, ideal for stuff that doesn't change a lot. But there seems to be different opinions over how many read write cycles it's good for. Some say modern devices are just as good as HDDs other's advise to store frequently changing stuff on HDDs
I've gone the safe route and have the operating system on SSD and data on HDD, but also because the SSD is much smaller then the HDD
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

billybaldin wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:09 am I'm wondering does it make a difference if I put Linux on its own SSD/HDD? Is SSD better than HDD?
If it's serving files or video streams, an SSD isn't going to make much difference in a home situation because your network bandwidth will be limited to 100MB/s over ethernet and usually less for wifi, while your HDD's may be rated up to 150MB/s.
Is it better to keep storage separate?
In this instance, I would say yes. If something goes wrong with the OS, it isn't going to impact much, if at all, on your data.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Just 100mbs???...under "ethernet" mine says 1000...can that be correct?...DAMIEN
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Haven't played with it for a while but I have Plex on my server and SWMBO has a set top box that reads it with no real issues. There are some movie formats that her box cannot decode, I shall convert them one day. IIRC It was pretty easy to set up.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:03 am Just 100mbs???...under "ethernet" mine says 1000...can that be correct?...DAMIEN
It's also called Gigabit Ethernet - not Gigabyte Ethernet.

100MB/s (100Megabytes) as Catweazel writes is already correct... These speed specifications are somewhat case-sensitive :mrgreen:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:03 am Just 100mbs???...under "ethernet" mine says 1000...can that be correct?...DAMIEN
I wrote 100MB/s, not 100Mb/s. Your 1000 is 1000 Mb/s, which is 100 MB/s.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Ok...thank-you, i think ive got it as i copy and paste this..."1000 Mb/s"...NOW i know this equals 100 MB/s...DAMIEN

Return to “Beginner Questions”