Reinstall of Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Reinstall of Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce [SOLVED]

Post by muffybean »

I have just started to change over to Linux from Windows10. On my second machine, an Aspire one D255E I decided to do a sole install of Linux using Xfce as it is only an atom CPU and 2gb ram with a 120GB SSD. With Win10 already installed I chose Erase disk and install linux. I was really pleased as the install went well and it ran faste than Windows 10. I was trying to find more about the SSD and discovered it was not mounted. So I decided to re-install LM again but this time select Something else and chose the ext14 partition. All went well again but this time I had lost my WiFi. I have ethernet available and can connect to internet and googled stuff and I think it has lost the WiFi driver. It was there in the first install and assume it picked it up from the Win 10 install. I tried driver manager but no luck. I ran inxi -Nn and others to ascertain the Ethernet Card information.

Code: Select all

Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: 5000 
  bus ID: 01:00.0 
  IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Foxconn 
  driver: N/A port: 5000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
Can you please advise what I should do. TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
LanceM

Re: Reinstall of Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce

Post by LanceM »

Looking online that laptop came with a 250 GB 5400 Rpm hard drive. Did you take it out and put in an SSD? Or are both drives in there?
Launch the program Disks and provide a screenshot.
Also run:

inxi -Fxz

And post results.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Hi blueocean. It came with a that 250gb drive but changed it to a 120gb Sandisk SSH drive and 1gb memory. I actually ramped that up to 2gb, which is its maximum. Originally it was a dual boot with Windows 7 and DOS, I removed both of them a few years ago and installed Windows 10. I have two desktop PC's; one is my main desktop with Windows 10 and the backup Acer Desktop had Windows 10. I have been getting frustrated with all the problems and bloatware with Windows 10 and decided a week ago to dual install Linux Mint 19.2 to the Acer desktop as a dual boot as I have plenty of space on that, 2 Samsung 250gb SSD's, plus two SATA HDD, 3gb plus 2GB. I have to say I am not that impressed on the boot times on this machine; into Windows 10 it is 1m but Linux, 1m 12 secs. I will post something on that another time.

I did read that it is not a good idea to dual boot as it can corrupt the Windows drive. Partly as a result of this I decided to try Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce on my netbook. As I mentioned above I did a clean install overwiting the Win 10 installation, the first option in the selection Erase disk and install Linux Mint, It was trying to reduce the swapping figure below 60 to 15 that I found that the operating partition Ext4 was not mounted. Despite various attempts to try and achieve this as I had only installed LM a couple of days ago I went for a reinstall, this time choosing the last option, Something Else, selecting ext4 partition, plus use as Ext4 Journalling File System and put a / point box. It installed fine but no WiFi.

Not being a patient man, this afternoon went and reinstalled Windows 10 <BG>. I now have my WiFi back again after doing this, so will try once more to install LM over this. Hopefully my WiFi will be there this time. Not sure whether to do that first clean install or the Something Else. If I get into trouble maybe you will kick my arse or something but as I said I am complete newbie on Linux having spent my computer years since mid 90's, first in DOS, then 3.1 all the way up to Windows 10, so it is a steep learning curve for me.
Running Linux Mint MATE on 2 desktops + Linux Mint Xfce on Netbook + Cinnamon VM on 3rd Desktop
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Hi muffybean, and welcome to the forum.

Your wireless card is recognized, but has not loaded the driver:

driver: N/A port: 5000 bus ID: 02:00.0
Could we also see the output of lsmod please.

EDIT: Corrected "installed" to "loaded"

I noticed the Live version loaded it correctly.
Last edited by MrEen on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

right have booted into the Xfce iso usb stick and took the screen shot as you requested. This is pre-LM install so shows Windows 10 configuration
Screenshot_2019-10-18_19-38-53.png

Ran the inxi -Fxz code and this is what was produced. Note I currently have WiFi in the mint mode running to upload this.

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

mint@mint:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: mint Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: AOD255E v: V3.15(DDR3) serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Acer model: JE02_PT_E v: V3.15(DDR3) serial: <filter> BIOS: Acer 
  v: 3.15(DDR3) date: 02/15/2011 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 19.1 Wh condition: 19.1/48.8 Wh (39%) 
  model: SANYO AL10B31 status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Atom N570 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Bonnell rev: A L2 cache: 512 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 13301 
  Speed: 998 MHz min/max: 1000/1666 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 998 2: 998 
  3: 998 4: 998 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: intel 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x600~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Pineview M v: 1.4 Mesa 19.0.2 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-54-generic 
Network:
  IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  driver: ath9k v: kernel port: 5000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 119.81 GiB used: 26.3 MiB (0.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SDSSDA120G size: 111.79 GiB 
  temp: 33 C 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Generic model: Flash Disk size: 8.02 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 991.5 MiB used: 26.3 MiB (2.7%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 174 Uptime: 4m Memory: 1.94 GiB used: 353.3 MiB (17.8%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.32 
mint@mint:~$ 
Will look forward to your reply.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: [code] tags added around code blocks
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Hi MrEen, just done this and here it is.

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

mint@mint:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: mint Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: AOD255E v: V3.15(DDR3) serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Acer model: JE02_PT_E v: V3.15(DDR3) serial: <filter> BIOS: Acer 
  v: 3.15(DDR3) date: 02/15/2011 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 19.1 Wh condition: 19.1/48.8 Wh (39%) 
  model: SANYO AL10B31 status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Atom N570 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Bonnell rev: A L2 cache: 512 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 13301 
  Speed: 998 MHz min/max: 1000/1666 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 998 2: 998 
  3: 998 4: 998 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: intel 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x600~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Pineview M v: 1.4 Mesa 19.0.2 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-54-generic 
Network:
  IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  driver: ath9k v: kernel port: 5000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 119.81 GiB used: 26.3 MiB (0.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SDSSDA120G size: 111.79 GiB 
  temp: 33 C 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Generic model: Flash Disk size: 8.02 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 991.5 MiB used: 26.3 MiB (2.7%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 174 Uptime: 4m Memory: 1.94 GiB used: 353.3 MiB (17.8%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 
  inxi: 3.0.32 
mint@mint:~$ 

Not sure it it is of any use until I install LM.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

Further to my comments above, when I do install LM can you please advise me if the ext4 should be mounted and where in the installation routine I should do this. Also, whether it is advisable to mount it. I really only want to do a clean install of LM. TIA
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I believe there's some confusion regarding the "not mounted" statement. It sounds like you had originally installed to the SSD, so it must have been mounted if the OS was running.

Unless, small chance here, you had installed the OS but were still running the Live version from your 8GB USB stick.

It's also possible there was a partition on the SSD that wasn't mounted, but until you install again, and reboot into the installed OS, it's hard to say.

We should be able to help you get anything mounted that needs to be afterwards if it doesn't happen during the install.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

muffybean: " I was trying to find more about the SSD and discovered it was not mounted."

Question: How did you determine it was not mounted?
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

It was when I was trying to sort out the swappiness bit. When I selected the drive to alter the setting from 60 to 15 it said the drive was not mounted!

I can't wait any longer for some definitive answer as to how to make the mount happen in clean installing LM as I want to take it with me on Monday, so will install again in a couple of hours. I did hope for some advice instead of further questions. Hopefully there may be some answers to my questions before I start the thrird install. :roll:
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

MrEen wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:35 pmI believe there's some confusion regarding the "not mounted" statement. It sounds like you had originally installed to the SSD, so it must have been mounted if the OS was running.

Unless, small chance here, you had installed the OS but were still running the Live version from your 8GB USB stick.

It's also possible there was a partition on the SSD that wasn't mounted, but until you install again, and reboot into the installed OS, it's hard to say.
Sorry MrEen I missed your reply. First of all when I originally installed LM, with Windows 10 installed on the SSD, I chose Erase Disk and install Linux Mint. When it installed I removed the USB install stick when requested to reboot. As stated below I have since re-installed Windows 10 and basically got back to where I was, with the WiFi working. So my intention today, after doing some work, is to repeat my initial install and go with the clean install again, choosing the Erase Disk and install Linux Mint. Hopefully the OS partition will be mounted and WiFi working. If not I will get back to you.

As I mentioned the reason I accessed the partition was to reduce the swappiness figure from 60 to 15 but the disk needs to be mounted and the message said the disk was not mounted and needed it so to carry out the action. I tried to do this because of advice saying that with SSH drives there should not be too much writing it to it caused by ram storage. Any advice on that too would be appreciated. Many thanks for your input.
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

OK I have reinstalled LM Xfce 19.2 (clean install) and all went well and have my WiFi. I installed gparted and have some questions. ~Here is how my drive looks as shown.
Ext4.png
Now yes Ext4 is mounted but I do not appear to have a swap drive, should there not be one. Furthermore, with the default number being 60, should that be altered with 2gb of ram? Also, where are my snapshots stored? Should they not be on a separate partition?

Another query, is regarding backup tool, I would assume it would be best to store the info on an external source, such as a USB stick.

Look forward to some answers and thank you for your attention. Being new to Linux and having a very inquisitive mind I daresay I will be back for more info to leqrn about LM.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi muffybean...you had said,
I do not appear to have a swap drive, should there not be one.
actually, It used to be called a "swap partition".

In LM 19.xx you no longer have a swap partition, but now have a "swap file" instead. It will probably be set as 2 gigs

Its size is preconfigured by the LM installer based on your ram thats installed etc. so it does not show in your graphical as a partition any longer. It is just a "file"

If your concerned about changing "swappiness" , I have the instructions that i can post here for you from "Pjotr's" blog site.

Quote from Pjotr,
Note: if your hard disk is an SSD, your machine will benefit from an even bigger decrease in swappiness. That's because too many write actions, like frequent swapping, reduce the lifespan of an SSD. For an SSD I advise a swappiness of 1
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.1

Any backups should definitely be placed on an external device...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Before messing with swappiness you might want to read this thread. Look closely at what gm10 says.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=303359&sid=a64978a ... f33dec0828
I forgot link in post. Thanks DAMIEN307
Last edited by LanceM on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You forgot to add gm10s thread with your posting blueocean...DAMIEN
muffybean
Level 5
Level 5

Post by muffybean »

I have to say after tweaking things around I am a very happy bunnie :D . I now have my old netbook booting to desktop in 32 secs, comparing with 90 secs in Windows 10. Everything runs so smooth and quick. I have some more questions but will post them under a new heading as that would be more appropriate. Thank you all for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”