[SOLVED] Troubleshoot memory problems

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LivingPharaoh
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Troubleshoot memory problems

Post by LivingPharaoh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 am

Hi,
Please relocate my post if necessary. Thank you.

Mint Cinnamon 18

Trouble began with folders not opening and, later, files refusing to save. I rebooted and screen quickly told me "failed to write" "read-only system". I read here on the forums this is a protective measure for one of a few reasons.

Rebooted into initramfs screen. Followed steps below which resulted in success.
https://prognotes.net/2018/04/linux-min ... t-at-boot/

Rebooted into boot menu. Choosing normal Mint Cinnamon booted into black screen with blinking cursor.
Currently running Memtest86.

Does this appear to you as my disk beginning to die? She's about 7 years old. Never had issues.
What steps can I take to further troubleshoot?

Much appreciated
Last edited by LivingPharaoh on Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Troubleshoot memory problems

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:56 am

Boot from live USB and use SMART tools to check disk.It should be SMART compatible.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools
fsck your Linux partition with sudo fsck -y /dev/sdax replace x with your Linux partition number.

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
gives partition numbers
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

LivingPharaoh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LivingPharaoh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:01 am

Thank you.
Currently running test. Can't find boot media, so I fumbled around in recovery boot option and remounted the drives so my HDD became read/write, then installed SMART from normal boot. Linux is teaching me how to not panic.
If my internal drive isn't at fault after this test, what else can I do to locate the cause? How likely is it this was just a fluke of complex technology?

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:01 am

Looks like the problem is solved. First thing is back up your data, hope you have it. Clonezilla to back up full partition or disk. Time shift to take system snapshots.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Troubleshoot memory problems

Post by Petermint » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:10 pm

For anyone with LM 19, the SMART data is displayed by the Disks program that is in Preferences and Accessories. Just select the disk then the three line icon in the top right corner.

SMART data from USB external disks is passed through some USB chips but not by the more common lower priced USB chips. Failures listed in SMART data can be hard to understand. Take something like reallocated sectors. A good brand might have thousands of spare sectors while a cheap device might have only 100.

A good brand might have zero sectors reallocated when new while a cheap brand might have 99 of those 100 spare sectors already reallocated. Some of those unbranded specials are rejects from a good brand because they had too many faults when tested in the factory.

One check is to look each day. If the reallocated sectors jumps up by one each day, you are headed for failure.

The display also shows temperature. Check your SSDs. Somewhere near 80 degrees Celsius, the SSD will slow down to reduce overheating.

The display shows start/stop cycles. A rotating disk might last ten years when left running all the time in a desktop computer but might fail faster in a notebook due to constantly stopping and starting. Your disk might be designed for 50,000 starts. Think about a notebook disk set to stop when idle. That means a new start after you read an email or a Web page. 50 starts a day is 50,000 in just 3 years. This is one area where SSD is far better.

Return to “Other topics”