My hardware...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meirl

My hardware...

Post by meirl »

Hello, I'm a newbie to linux all together.
I've installed UBUNTU 16.10 but it made me a lot of problem by not being able to connect to my wireless router.
Tried tons of suggestions online, nothing worked .
So I've removed it an installed Mint. Works wonderfully!
So in the attached link you can see my hardware.
My question is: How "far" can I progress in the Linux world in all aspects with this hardware?
Thx

https://termbin.com/bbbf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: My hardware...

Post by deepakdeshp »

The specs are quite decent. How far it pulls depends on if you will be installing CPU intensive apps. You have sufficient memory. How's the performance now?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

It all depends upon what you need the computer to do for you. A little bit of info on the types of programs you like to run, might give us a clue as to how far you can push your hardware.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

meirl wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 am My question is: How "far" can I progress in the Linux world in all aspects with this hardware?
You can become a developer with a much lower spec machine. The sky's the limit, and it depends on how far you want to go.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

meirl wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 am My question is: How "far" can I progress in the Linux world in all aspects with this hardware?
What does 'progressing in the Linux world' mean to you?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
meirl

Post by meirl »

I want to thank you all for your replies.
I think I'll take my time and read more about Linux in general and what can be more interesting and relevant to me.
Thanks.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Linux will take you further than Windows as far as hardware is concerned
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

If you want to study Linux and become a developer, you could do that on a Raspberry Pi with a microSD card as the system disk and for less than $100. If you want to edit 4K video at close to real time, you need something faster. :shock:

When you start Linux Mint, start Admin -> System Monitor. Look at memory and CPU usage. Start the programs and applications you need then look at what each one uses. If one of your applications hits 100% for memory or CPU, start asking questions about that application. There are also ways to display disk usage.

An example. I have one important program that is "single threaded". It can use only one CPU core. It runs on an old Intel processor with a fast single core speed. I could spend thousands of dollars on upgrades and none of them would make the slightest difference to processing time.

In most cases, the best upgrade, when you do need speed, is a faster disk. Magnetic to SSD or old SSD to new SSD.

Fortunately you chose the Linux distribution with the best support forum. :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

meirl wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:14 am I want to thank you all for your replies.
I think I'll take my time and read more about Linux in general and what can be more interesting and relevant to me.
Thanks.
A very good place to start is right here in these forums. Just lurk and read the new posts. Another good place to start is with this: https://wiki.lib.sun.ac.za/images/c/ca/TLCL-13.07.pdf
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”