[Unresolved... Will Delete and Re-load] Linux Mint Cinammon Password No Longer Works!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ron Frye
Level 1
Level 1

[Unresolved... Will Delete and Re-load] Linux Mint Cinammon Password No Longer Works!

Post by Ron Frye »

I have been using Oracle's VM Virtual Box to run Linux Mint Cinnamon and Linux Mint Mate from Windows 10 for several months. (I've been very happy with them!) Cinnamon and Mate use the same password. All of a sudden, beginning yesterday, after starting Linux Mint Cinnamon from the virtual box, then supplying my Linux password, it is NOT accepted. :( I have no idea what happened. Linux Mint Mate accepts the password just fine, as before. What do I do to get Cinnamon to work again? I prefer that version over Mate.

Ronald Frye
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint Cinammon Password No Longer Works!

Post by JerryF »

Check the simple stuff first. Caps Lock?
Ron Frye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ron Frye »

Jerry...

Yes, checking the Caps Lock key is one of the first things I did. I should have mentioned that in my initial posting.

Ronald Frye
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

You can change your password in terminal with passwd, but can't say if that would solve it.
Ron Frye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ron Frye »

How is one to use the terminal and password command if one cannot log in? :?
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Can you do it on Mate? Perhaps then the new password will work on Cinnamon too, but it's only a guess.
If that won't work, maybe this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... sword.html
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

sleeper12 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:09 am Can you do it on Mate? Perhaps then the new password will work on Cinnamon too, but it's only a guess.
In a word, "no." Each VM runs independently and has no idea what's happening in the other.

OTOH, the link to Pjotr's explanation of how to reset the password is spot on.
Ron Frye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ron Frye »

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm getting nowhere fast.

Referring to the last post...

Pjotr? Who or what is Pjotr? :?

Grub? What is Grub? I've never heard of that term before. :?

I cannot get past Step 1 of the instructions in the link mentioned in the last post. As instructed, I've hit ESC once, twice, and numerous times after the BIOS menu goes away. I've even started the ESC process during the BIOS, but to no avail. Windows 10 always starts.

Remember, I'm a relative Newbie to Linux and not an expert in Windows or Linux... just a user. I'm becoming quite frustrated. :( Is my only hope to delete Linux Mint Cinnamon entirely from my Oracle VM Virtual Box and start over with a re-installation? I'd hate to do that... it'd mean losing months of work.

Ronald Frye
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Ron Frye wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm getting nowhere fast.

Referring to the last post...

Pjotr? Who or what is Pjotr? :?
Pjotr is a member of the forums and he also has a website for Linux. The link that sleeper gave you is to Pjotr's website.
sleeper12 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:09 am https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... sword.html
Ron Frye wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm Grub? What is Grub? I've never heard of that term before. :?
Grub is short for Grand Unified Bootloader. It is installed with Mint. After starting your computer (or VM), you probably see a menu for selecting Linux Mint and a couple of other options to choose, like Memtest.
Ron Frye wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm I cannot get past Step 1 of the instructions in the link mentioned in the last post. As instructed, I've hit ESC once, twice, and numerous times after the BIOS menu goes away. I've even started the ESC process during the BIOS, but to no avail. Windows 10 always starts.
Instead of the ESC key, try holding down the left Shift key while your VM boots.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Yes, try holding down the left Shift key at boot & see if that gets you to Grub. If so, follow the rest of the instructions & you should be good.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Ron Frye wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm I cannot get past Step 1 of the instructions in the link mentioned in the last post. As instructed, I've hit ESC once, twice, and numerous times after the BIOS menu goes away. I've even started the ESC process during the BIOS, but to no avail. Windows 10 always starts.
Isn't that supposed to happen? And after windows is running you start vbox and apply the Pjotr/website's procedure when you "boot" the linux installation:
I have been using Oracle's VM Virtual Box to run Linux Mint Cinnamon and Linux Mint Mate from Windows 10 for several months.
I'm wondering if you could copy the files which define a user and password, from the Mate install to the Cin install - I dunno what those files might be, though. Same username on both?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ron Frye
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] [Un-resolved] Linux Mint Cinammon Password No Longer Works!

Post by Ron Frye »

To all who tried to help me... thank you, but I'm giving up. Being a "Newbie" I'm just not smart enough or experienced enough to resolve this issue, even with your help, nor do I have the time to continually try your suggestions without success. Therefore, I am going to delete Linux Mint Cinnamon from my Oracle Virtual Machine/Virtual Box setup and re-install a fresh copy. I'll lose everything in my original install, but at least I'll have the pleasure of working with Mint/Cinnamon again. :)

Thank you all,
Ronald Frye

P.S.: I really don't need a password-based system for my home computer, so I'm going to try to get along without setting up and using a password. :idea:
Last edited by Ron Frye on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

You can backup your documents onto a USB flash drive before reinstalling your VM
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Un-resolved] Linux Mint Cinammon Password No Longer Works!

Post by Moem »

Ron Frye wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:59 am I really don't need a password-based system for my home computer, so I'm going to try to get along without setting up and using a password. :idea:
The installation process will not complete without a password. If you feel you don't need one, make it a simple one and write it down.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”