GIMP Free Select, Copy & Paste; can it be done?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jfcp
Level 1
Level 1

GIMP Free Select, Copy & Paste; can it be done?

Post by Jfcp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:29 pm

I am using Mint 19.1 and the free Gimp that came with it to repair .png's and .jpeg's.

I have had good luck doing simple patch-ups with the "Rectangle Select";

Rectangle Selecting over an area that needs repair,

dragging the rectangle from it to an area that has the pattern I need,

doing an Edit/Copy of that rectangular area, from the drop-down menu,

dragging the rectangle back over the original area,

doing an Edit/Paste to effect the repair.

Obviously, there are limitations to Rectangle Select, so I tried "Free Select" using the same procedure, but despite a lot of fiddling, cannot get it to work, even with very simple 4-sided Free Selections. (And "Help" is no help).

The closest I can get is a "Cut", wherein dragging the Free Selected area leaves a white hole in the image where I only wanted to Copy.

Can it be done?

Is this a feature of a pay "PRO" version of GIMP?

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: GIMP Free Select, Copy & Paste; can it be done?

Post by Flemur » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Jfcp wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:29 pm
... so I tried "Free Select" using the same procedure, but despite a lot of fiddling, cannot get it to work, even with very simple 4-sided Free Selections. (And "Help" is no help).

The closest I can get is a "Cut", wherein dragging the Free Selected area leaves a white hole in the image where I only wanted to Copy.
Rt-click on the selection you want to copy and choose "copy". But you might find it easier to use the "clone tool" to copy from one area, or another image, into the part you want to fix.

Click to make it clearer:
selection.jpg
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Jfcp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jfcp » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:23 pm

hmmm.. I intended to try that, and thought I had...

Maybe I neglected, in all the fiddling, to try a right click w/o going to the drop-down menu first, since the drop-down was what worked w/ Rect Sel.

Definitely will have look at clone.

Thanks for that!

Jfcp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jfcp » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:27 pm

OK, I HAD tried a simple right click/copy /paste and it does not work with free select.

You can do a "Fill with pattern" with free select, but you practically need a 4-year degree and and hour's time to navigate through the maze to find the place where you can select the pattern you need to use..

GIMP has a lot of features, but it is so difficult to use, hard to see why anybody would bother.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Jfcp wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:27 pm
OK, I HAD tried a simple right click/copy /paste and it does not work with free select.

You can do a "Fill with pattern" with free select, but you practically need a 4-year degree and and hour's time to navigate through the maze to find the place where you can select the pattern you need to use..

GIMP has a lot of features, but it is so difficult to use, hard to see why anybody would bother.
It works here, but you haven't said what actually happens, just that it doesn't work, so I dunno what to say.
Are you closing the selection properly? (hit a carriage return).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

decrepit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by decrepit » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:43 am

I always use the clone tool, you can change the size of the "brush" for big areas, and back to small for small areas.

Jfcp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jfcp » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Flemur

I can't get to where I can even make a new pattern selection. There is nothing to close out, nothing to hit carriage return for.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 pm

It might have actually copied and pasted, but you've just not noticed it. When in gimp the first copy is usually pasted directly over the initial area selected do it looks as though nothing has happened. If I then select <Transform><Move> and opt to move that selection, I find that the original is untouched but I do have a copy of the highlighted area.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Newbie Questions”