Low performance in wine.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Remon Visser
Level 1
Level 1

Low performance in wine.

Post by Remon Visser » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:06 am

Okay, so i have installed linux mint cinnamon a couple days back. I had a pc built of low spec parts that I had laying around in my house. The specs are an intel celeron n3150 quad core cpu (1.60 ghz) 8 gb ram and 1 tb wd blue 5400rpm hdd.

I installed gta san andreas in wine wich i got to run. When i played this game on windows on the same pc it worked fine. I had stable framerate and a good experience. On wine however it seems to have high fps as well, but it freezes constantly. I did some checking and testing and through the system monitor i eventually found what i think might be causing it. When on idle (so no programs running just a booted linux) i use about 800 to 900mb ram. Around 10%. When i play a game i use a max of 1gb and sometimes 1.1gb (14%). But it really feels like the memory is full, and the game has to load. Wich i would understand since the game only uses 200mb of ram.

I already tried to find settings, updates, drivers but all the hardware seems to run fine. Is there anything i can do to get playonlinux or wine to take more ram, so the game doesn't freeze. I'd really appreciate the help since i cant get my old windows license to work legally so i am pretty much stuck on linux mint. (I wanted to get rid of windows anyway but only if linux gaming works lol)

mikaelrask
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Low performance in wine.

Post by mikaelrask » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:50 am

hey install playonlinux a gui for wine from there highlight the game you are playing hit the button configure a new window will open from there go to the display option there you can set video memory size in the same window click wine tap and configure wine a new window is open (need a newer version of wine for this to work and it will install a few packages) go to the staging tab and make sure the enabled csmt for better performance is check on.
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.3.0-23-generic
mint xfce 19,2

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”