Halloween: What are you planning?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

What are your plans for Halloween?Halloween

Poll ended at Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Trick-or-treating with my kids
13%
Trick-or-treating with my significant other
13%
Halloween party
No votes
Going to a Haunted House
No votes
Something else
13%
Nothing
60%

Total votes: 15

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Halloween: What are you planning?

Post by Portreve »

I'm sort of curious what my fellow Linux Minters are planning for this Halloween, which is nearly upon us. Also, since this is an international forum, I'm curious about what different cultures' traditions are.

I have a job that sees me getting up very early every weekday (and therefore going to bed very early every night) so I won't be doing anything myself. I haven't been to a Haunted House in a long time, but I used to enjoy them when I was younger.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Halloween: What are you planning?

Post by BenTrabetere »

My plans for the past 30 years has been the same: on my irrigation system, make my front door look inviting, and teach those darned kids about running across my yard. One day I just might keep those plans. But on this year.

I have a 2.5-acre yard, and most of the houses in my neighborhood have at least a 1 acre. Not very friendly for little kids to go door-to-door begging for treats. Way too much walking. There are much easier pickings close by.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Big Issue with Halloween, is that it's being promoted by the Major Retailers.
- - they can make an Buck, out of it, one supposes.
:o

otherwise, it's not a big deal, for most folks.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

We used to have Sint Maarten, but as a tradition that is being pushed out by the imported Hallowe'en. Yes, I'm bitter. It used to be so much fun. Look at those faces.

Since I can't stop the tide, I'm going with the flow. I'm making some decorations and purchasing some candy to hand out. There aren't many children in the neighbourhood but I don't want to disappoint the few that will be ringing the doorbell.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I've never celebrated All Hallows Eve, so I'm certainly not about to do the Halloween thing. It seems to be more of an American tradition these days rather than the original intent.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:28 am We used to have Sint Maarten, but as a tradition that is being pushed out by the imported Hallowe'en. Yes, I'm bitter. It used to be so much fun. Look at those faces.
lsemmens wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:31 am I've never celebrated All Hallows Eve, so I'm certainly not about to do the Halloween thing. It seems to be more of an American tradition these days rather than the original intent.
Yeah, we do have a tendency to just hijack anything we think we can make a buck from, and then turn it into something very profitable.

In the U.S., every holiday is all about making money. Every. Single. One.

I've heard it said America has no culture. I disagree. We have a culture of profit.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”