Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
londrioca
Level 2
Level 2

mdm problem -no display [Solved]

Post by londrioca »

Upgraded to Mint 19 & chose Lightdm as display manager, worked fine except kept getting "Failed to get the xserver" error message when logging in but I just pressed "no" when asked if I wanted to see why & went to login screen anyway. I decided to try & get rid of the annoying message & as both mdm & lightdm were installed decided to uninstall mdm to see if that was the problem but when I booted up it just went to console screen with no message. Logged in there & reinstalled mdm but it still won't get past the console screen, what magic entry will bring back display?
Last edited by londrioca on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: mdm problem -no display

Post by Spearmint2 »

I'd like to see the answer to that also. I managed to get 18.3 to boot by Upstart instead of systemd and that's the same problem I have with it, having to use tty screen to sign in, then run sudo mdm, then sign in again on the greeter page, but at least all works OK then.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=303126
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

londrioca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by londrioca »

That nearly worked, in this case it required sudo lightdm which opened the login page but after that nothing, just the black screen, although once it displayed the LM logo and nothing else. Can I check timeshift from the tty page?

londrioca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by londrioca »

Update: above problem occurs when I login as administrator but, still using sudo lightdm, I can login as Guest, go figure. I think I'll post this as a new question.

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Try this...

Code: Select all

apt install --reinstall slick-greeter lightdm lightdm-settings apparmor
Select LightDM as default when asked

apt purge --autoremove mdm

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

sudo reboot
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

londrioca
Level 2
Level 2

Re: mdm problem -no display Solved

Post by londrioca »

That's fixed it, thanks!

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: mdm problem -no display -Solved

Post by Spearmint2 »

Tried it for mdm on Upstart booted 18.3, but didn't work. I got msg about no mdm-settings, but it went through the rest of it, and boots the same way. Got any magic Smurfos for mdm on an Upstart booted system?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Sorry, I've never messed around with Upstart so don't really know what the issue might be in your case. Londrioca's issue was familiar as it was common for users transitioning from MDM to lightDM after Mint 18.2 was released as Clem's instructions here https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3306 were (and still are) incomplete.

For your issue I guess the contents of journalctl -b would be a good starting point to see what is (or more to the point isn't happening) at the point you'd expect boot to hand control over to the session/display manager.

I kind of doubt lightDM will work at all as it's inclusion in Mint postdates the move to SystemD
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I can boot into LightDM too. It was by activating both it and MDM, that allowed me to make a choice, which then activated the ability to start MDM. Since systemd had been uninstalled, that killed systemctld and journalctld, but I just ran journalctl, and it works, so maybe that's a place I can study tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning it, didn't realize those still worked.

Return to “Installation & Boot”