Sound and DVD burn glitches

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sound and DVD burn glitches

Post by phd21 »

Hi greenstar,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

A.) That is good that your sound card seems to be working now, but weird that it required all that effort. Nicely done "MrEen". Anyone can get a low-cost or higher-cost USB sound card that works with Linux if their onboard or existing sound card is not working or not working well.

FYI: Regarding Sound applications: Install "pulse audio volume control" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". There are some really nice graphical (GUI) programs for sound that start with "Qas", like the fantastic "Qasmixer", in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that you can install and use. Sound "Mixers" can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with them. If you bring up "Qasmixer" and make it fullscreen, on the right side you will have mixer devices where you can control your system sound. If you do not see the mixer devices, hit "F6". The mixer item "sysdefault" will show all installed sound card devices, and you will have various options to adjust various volume controls using "sliders" which you can turn off and on using the "dot" below the volume slider. There are also various other check boxes below that you can use, and depending upon your sound card(s) that sometimes includes headphone checkboxes and or sliders as well, like "Headphone Jack Sense".

B.) You are using the default video driver rather than the nVidia video driver and you might consider installing the nVidia driver for your "GeForce 8400 GS" video card (nvidia-342) from the Device Manager or even better from the PPA.

Install nVidia video card drivers
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/nvidia.html

C.) Regarding your computer's DVD drive. Your results from the console terminal command do not show a DVD drive. You can check to make sure the cables are connected properly, perhaps try another power cable, etc... Like most mechanical things with moving parts, DVD/CD/Blu-Ray drives will wear out over time. Fortunately, DVD/CD burner writers are not expensive only around $20-$30 us for internal or USB external. Most DVD/CD/Blu-ray drives will work with Linux, but read product descriptions and user comments from Amazon.com and eBay, etc... to make sure that don't say MS Windows or Mac only (which is rare).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Hi Phd21, thanks for the ideas. I have never heard of an external usb sound card adapter. I had been wondering about replacing the sound card. Or oven the motherboard, as mine is knocking 15yrs old and I could probably pick up something with more zest cheaply. The main thing that stops me is the possibility of going through all this again and the hours spent setting up. It would however be very helpful to get a DVD writer working again. I am not convinced that mine is faulty, as I have tried two with the same result, and the problem has been experienced by others (I googled it without solving it). It is simple enough to fit another internal writer, if I could be sure it will work and the problem is not with the os. Possibly this needs another thread. For me computers are a tool, I spend far too much on them I would prefer to spend on other interests!
My sound is still working but from the headphone output only, which is from the mobo, not the pci sound card at the back.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi greenstar,

You are welcome...

Most people do not have issues like you have been having with Linux Mint and their sound. Usually the most that anyone would have to do is reset the "pulse audio" sound system using the two commands below.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -r ~/.config/pulse

pulseaudio -k
I agree that computers are tools, but IMHO necessary tools in today's world.
greenstar wrote:My sound is still working but from the headphone output only, which is from the mobo, not the pci sound card at the back.
Your system information results that you posted from "inxi -Fxzd" show only one sound card not two sound cards. It appears to be an onboard built-in sound card.
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
On my system if I have the headset plugged in the speakers will not work unless I change the sound settings in QasMixer or some other sound control app to disable the auto-mute mode. It is common for computers to have front and or rear audio jacks.

There are many types of sound cards and sound devices available with various features from basic to surround sound with or without "on device" controls to the better DAC with and or without pre-amps, etc... If you have a headset with only one plug for both audio and microphone, then get a USB sound card with one audio port for both speakers and mic or get a headset adapter.

I have a backup USB sound card below which is basic, but it is plug-n-play with Linux and other operating systems.
Syba external USB Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows, Mac, Linux Extra Audio Source with 3.5mm Audio Mic Jack C-Media Chipset $7 us
https://www.amazon.com/Syba-external-Ad ... 5AVGKUSKUX

Here are examples of various USB sound cards that are available from Amazon.com.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+sound+ca ... nb_sb_noss

More advanced sound options
USB DAC
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+dac&i=el ... nb_sb_noss

Amazon.com: BEHRINGER Audio Interface, 1x XLR/TRS 1x 1/4" 2X RCA USB, Black, 1-Channel (UM2): Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-Audio- ... cs&sr=1-19

Amazon.com: AudioQuest DragonFly Black v1.5 Plug-in USB DAC + Preamp + Headphone Amp: Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Drago ... ics&sr=1-5

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Wow! Some positive news for a change!

In most cases, and I assumed this to be your case, the ports on the back of the computer are also connected to the built-in audio on the motherboard. If your case is different, maybe re-installing the sound base has caused the system to recognize a PCI card it didn't see previously. Let's see the output of inxi -A, and pacmd list-cards again along with lspci please.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

I am sorry, you need to explain to me what a usb sound card does. There is an audio and mic output/input from the jack, so why is it useful? Thanks.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Here it is, Oh Guru!
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ inxi -A
Audio: Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 10)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2] (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
04:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller (rev 41)
04:00.1 USB controller: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller (rev 41)
04:00.2 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD72010x USB 2.0 Controller (rev 02)
04:01.0 Mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20269 (rev 02)
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

And I've been extra dim witted here - there is no sound card. I had the amp plugged into the jacks at the back, which are on the motherboard. I had a sound card in the past, but not in the present setup. Thanks again!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Okay, then let's see amixer again. And we still didn't get pacmd list-cards

I'm thinking the Line is muted in alsamixer again.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Here we go:

tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Limits: Playback 0 - 255
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Front',0
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 29 [94%] [9.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 29 [94%] [9.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0
Capabilities: volume
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: 0 - 3
Front Left: 1 [33%] [10.00dB]
Front Right: 1 [33%] [10.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line Boost',0
Front Left: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
Mono:
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Beep',0
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 4 [13%] [-28.50dB] [off]
Front Right: Playback 4 [13%] [-28.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
Limits: Capture 0 - 31
Front Left: Capture 31 [100%] [34.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 31 [100%] [34.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
Limits: Capture 0 - 31
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [-12.00dB] [off]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [-12.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Channel Mode',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: '2ch' '4ch' '6ch'
Item0: '2ch'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Rear Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line' 'CD'
Item0: 'Front Mic'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1
Capabilities: cenum
Items: 'Rear Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line' 'CD'
Item0: 'Rear Mic'
Simple mixer control 'Loopback Mixing',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
Item0: 'Disabled'
Simple mixer control 'Rear Mic',0
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Rear Mic Boost',0
Front Left: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ pacmd list-cards
1 card(s) available.
index: 0
name: <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0>
driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
owner module: 6
properties:
alsa.card = "0"
alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel"
alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel at 0xe7100000 irq 29"
alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1b.0"
sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0"
device.bus = "pci"
device.vendor.id = "8086"
device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation"
device.product.id = "27d8"
device.product.name = "NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (GA-D525TUD (Realtek ALC887))"
device.form_factor = "internal"
device.string = "0"
device.description = "Built-in Audio"
module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
profiles:
input:analog-stereo: Analogue Stereo Input (priority 60, available: unknown)
output:analog-stereo: Analogue Stereo Output (priority 6000, available: unknown)
output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo: Analogue Stereo Duplex (priority 6060, available: unknown)
output:iec958-stereo: Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output (priority 5500, available: unknown)
output:iec958-stereo+input:analog-stereo: Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analogue Stereo Input (priority 5560, available: unknown)
off: Off (priority 0, available: unknown)
active profile: <output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo>
sinks:
alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo/#0: Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo
sources:
alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo.monitor/#0: Monitor of Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo
alsa_input.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo/#1: Built-in Audio Analogue Stereo
ports:
analog-input-front-mic: Front Microphone (priority 8500, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
properties:
device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone"
analog-input-rear-mic: Rear Microphone (priority 8200, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
properties:
device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone"
analog-input-linein: Line In (priority 8100, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
properties:

analog-output-lineout: Line Out (priority 9900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
properties:

analog-output-headphones: Headphones (priority 9000, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
properties:
device.icon_name = "audio-headphones"
iec958-stereo-output: Digital Output (S/PDIF) (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
properties:

tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Yeah, Line is muted again. If you unplug the headphones, it would normally unmute automatically, and I still don't know why you don't have the Auto-Mute Mode option in alsamixer.

I'm hoping you can adjust it in alsamixer, but I know this didn't work for you previously.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Actually, try this command: amixer set Line toggle
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I also have another idea that may get more desirable results. I need to see the output of ls -ls /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/ to be certain which files are available to you, then I'll ask for the output of some of those files.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I just found something VERY strange from your outputs:

APLAY

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Notice the Analog option is card 0, device 0? Now look at the dmesg output:

[   42.983347] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: autoconfig for ALC883: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
[   42.983351] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:    speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[   42.983354] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:    hp_outs=1 (0x1b/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[   42.983356] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:    mono: mono_out=0x0
[   42.983357] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:    dig-out=0x1e/0x0
[   42.983359] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:    inputs:
[   42.983362] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:      Rear Mic=0x18
[   42.983364] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:      Front Mic=0x19
[   42.983366] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:      Line=0x1a
[   42.983368] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2:      CD=0x1c
That shows card 0, device 2!?

I have no idea how that can happen. I have no idea how to "fix" it, or if it is even fixable or needs fixing. But I'm betting whatever is causing that is the source of your issue.

If my previous post about using alsamixer doesn't work, before we try the other thing I mentioned in my last post, let's see if this config change resolves what I'm showing in this post. In the terminal enter gksudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf then enter your password. When the file opens, scroll to the bottom and add this new line:

options snd-hda-intel model=auto
Save and close the file, ignore the warnings from the terminal, then reboot. Test your sound, and see if dmesg | grep snd shows either this:

snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: autoconfig for ALC883: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
or hopefully this:

snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D0: autoconfig for ALC883: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
The difference being C0D2 vs C0D0.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Sorry, I'm a bit rushed this morning. Will get back to this asap. Seems to be some light dawning!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

No worries. I've stayed up way too late. Hittin the sack now.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Still C0D2!
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ dmesg | grep snd
[ 44.429340] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: autoconfig for ALC883: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
[ 44.429344] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 44.429346] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: hp_outs=1 (0x1b/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 44.429348] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: mono: mono_out=0x0
[ 44.429350] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: dig-out=0x1e/0x0
[ 44.429352] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: inputs:
[ 44.429355] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: Rear Mic=0x18
[ 44.429357] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: Front Mic=0x19
[ 44.429359] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: Line=0x1a
[ 44.429361] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC0D2: CD=0x1c
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $

Also:
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ ls -ls /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/
total 152
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1415 May 2 2018 analog-input-aux.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2056 May 2 2018 analog-input.conf
8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5769 May 2 2018 analog-input.conf.common
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2185 May 2 2018 analog-input-dock-mic.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1420 May 2 2018 analog-input-fm.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2196 May 2 2018 analog-input-front-mic.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2298 May 2 2018 analog-input-headphone-mic.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2360 May 2 2018 analog-input-headset-mic.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2797 May 2 2018 analog-input-internal-mic-always.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3155 May 2 2018 analog-input-internal-mic.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2486 May 2 2018 analog-input-linein.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2662 May 2 2018 analog-input-mic.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1330 May 2 2018 analog-input-mic.conf.common
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1457 May 2 2018 analog-input-mic-line.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2185 May 2 2018 analog-input-rear-mic.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1425 May 2 2018 analog-input-tvtuner.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1385 May 2 2018 analog-input-video.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1929 May 2 2018 analog-output.conf
12 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10609 May 2 2018 analog-output.conf.common
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2139 May 2 2018 analog-output-headphones-2.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3147 May 2 2018 analog-output-headphones.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4095 May 2 2018 analog-output-lineout.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1993 May 2 2018 analog-output-mono.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3725 May 2 2018 analog-output-speaker-always.conf
8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4521 May 2 2018 analog-output-speaker.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 159 May 2 2018 hdmi-output-0.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 161 May 2 2018 hdmi-output-1.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 161 May 2 2018 hdmi-output-2.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 161 May 2 2018 hdmi-output-3.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 163 May 2 2018 hdmi-output-4.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 163 May 2 2018 hdmi-output-5.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 163 May 2 2018 hdmi-output-6.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 163 May 2 2018 hdmi-output-7.conf
4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 712 May 2 2018 iec958-stereo-output.conf
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $
And:
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ amixer set Line toggle
Mono:
Still only faint audio on 'line'
Thanks..
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Okay, it appears Line was already unmuted when you ran amixer set Line toggle so just run it again (depending what you've done since, you may need to do this twice) and it should look like this:

Mono:
I'm hoping the volume level will actually be something other than 0, but the important part is to have [on] instead of [off]

If it does go to [on] but the volume is still 0, try amixer set Line 50%

NOTE: I just tested this with my Master volume control. Doing the toggle the first time successfully muted the volume. Then doing another toggle set the Master back to it's normal volume, but my headphones were muted. So this may not be the best method, but I'd like you to try the above. When you report success or failure, also include the output from cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf and cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf and I'll see if there's a better way to get where we want to go.
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Hi, no change through this. Headphone output working throughout, line out still faint only.

tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ amixer set Line toggle
Mono:
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ amixer set Line 50%
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 16 [52%] [-10.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 16 [52%] [-10.50dB] [on]
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf and cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

We didn't get the outputs for the cat commands:

cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf

cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf
greenstar

Post by greenstar »

Here it is! Just for the moment I have 2 pairs of headphones plugged into headphone and line outputs - I am assuming these are both the same impedance, but wanted to be sure there was nothing going on with my amp, although I had checked all was correctly connected. As before, headphone output at the front works well, line out at the back nothing.

tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
# published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the
# License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

[General]
priority = 99
description-key = analog-output-lineout

[Jack Line Out]
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out Phantom]
state.plugged = unknown
state.unplugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Headphone]
state.plugged = no

[Jack Front Headphone]
state.plugged = no

[Jack Front Line Out]
required-any = any

[Jack Front Line Out Phantom]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Rear Line Out]
required-any = any

[Jack Rear Line Out Phantom]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out Front]
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out Front Phantom]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out CLFE]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out CLFE Phantom]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out Surround]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out Surround Phantom]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out Side]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Line Out Side Phantom]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Jack Dock Line Out]
required-any = any

[Jack Dock Line Out Phantom]
state.plugged = unknown
required-any = any

[Element Hardware Master]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all
override-map.2 = all-left,all-right

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element Speaker+LO]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all
required-any = any

[Element Headphone+LO]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all
required-any = any

[Element Master Mono]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Line HP Swap]
switch = off
required-any = any

; This profile path is intended to control line out, let's mute headphones
; else there will be a spike when plugging in headphones
[Element Headphone]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Headphone2]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Speaker]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Desktop Speaker]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Front]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all-front
override-map.2 = front-left,front-right

[Element Rear]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all-rear
override-map.2 = rear-left,rear-right

[Element Surround]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all-rear
override-map.2 = rear-left,rear-right

[Element Side]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all-side
override-map.2 = side-left,side-right

[Element Center]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all-center
override-map.2 = all-center,all-center

[Element LFE]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = lfe
override-map.2 = lfe,lfe

[Element CLFE]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all-center
override-map.2 = all-center,lfe

[Element Bass Speaker]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Speaker Front]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Speaker Surround]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Speaker Side]
switch = off
volume = off

[Element Speaker CLFE]
switch = off
volume = off

.include analog-output.conf.common
tony@tony-G31M-ES2L ~ $ cat /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
# published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the
# License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

; Path for mixers that have a 'Headphone' control
;
; See analog-output.conf.common for an explanation on the directives

[General]
priority = 90
description-key = analog-output-headphones

[Properties]
device.icon_name = audio-headphones

[Jack Dock Headphone]
required-any = any

[Jack Dock Headphone Phantom]
required-any = any
state.plugged = unknown

[Jack Front Headphone]
required-any = any

[Jack Front Headphone Phantom]
required-any = any
state.plugged = unknown

[Jack Headphone]
required-any = any

[Jack Headphone Phantom]
required-any = any
state.plugged = unknown

# This jack can be either a headphone *or* a mic. Used on some ASUS netbooks.
[Jack Headphone Mic]
required-any = any

[Element Hardware Master]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all

[Element Master]
switch = mute
volume = merge
override-map.1 = all