Before you post please read how to get help
Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB WiFi + Internal Wifi not working simultaneously

Post by Furieh »

HAWR wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:16 pm
No, don't delete them. I have these files on my system, too, although I don't use Realtek wifi. Please search for 8188eu.ko (this should be the module, which is mentioned on github).
Here!

Code: Select all

/lib/modules/4.15.0-54-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello Furieh,
/lib/modules/4.15.0-54-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/r8188eu.ko
this is the included kernel module. It is strange, that you have found this only with the 4.15.0-54 kernel. It should be in your installed kernels 4.15.0-65 and 4.15.0-66, too.

I've meant 8188eu.ko (without an "r" at the beginning). Please run and show the output:

sudo find / -name 8188eu.ko

Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Furieh »

HAWR wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:38 pm
I've meant 8188eu.ko (without an "r" at the beginning). Please run and show the output:

sudo find / -name 8188eu.ko
Sorry, my bad... Here's the relevant (I edited out the downloads and timeshift folders) output to sudo find:

/lib/modules/4.15.0-66-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello Furieh,

yes, that is the driver file build from github. I've found in the download folder from github, that
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-66/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu:
rtl8188eu_led.c
rtl8188eu_led.o
rtl8188eu_recv.c
rtl8188eu_recv.o
rtl8188eu_xmit.c
rtl8188eu_xmit.o
these files are the source text files for that driver. So I would say, we remove the driver and the other files. You said, you have made an actual timeshift snapshot, so we can go on. The first command is for unloading the 8188eu module, the other commands for deleting.

sudo rmmod 8188eu

sudo rm -v /lib/modules/4.15.0-66-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko

sudo rm -v /usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-66/drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/rtl8188eu*
Then reboot. It is possible, that the kernel module r8188eu is blacklisted and the USB wifi won't run after the reboot. If it's so, then we have to delete the specific conf-file. But you can also look in the file manager in /etc/modprobe.d if you find a file with name of that r8188eu.

Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Furieh »

I like the way you think, HAWR.

I did what you suggested and, as predicted, the USB stopped working.
Also as predicted, there's a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ called realtek_blacklist.conf which contents are:

blacklist r8188eu

So, what would you do now? Load it manually? Install another driver? Go on, I'm listening.

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello Furieh,

thanks...no, we will delete this blacklist file, too:

sudo rm -v /etc/modprobe.d/realtek_blacklist.conf
Then after a reboot or a try before

sudo modprobe r8188eu
it should work again.

Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Furieh »

It shows the blue power lines, and even asks me for a password, so I was going to do the following and mark the thread as solved:
HAWR wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:33 pm
. Then you look under Network Connections in the Settings > General for both, whether the "automatic connection if available" is activated. That should be it.
But the little bastard still refuses connect to the AP. This has to be the driver, right? Maybe I shoult try another? After all, the guy on the other thread listed at least five so... :roll:

Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Furieh »

Update: I Timeshifted the machine and the controller is working, but painfully slow. But that's another story for another time, so I'm marking the thread as solved and forgetting about the damn dongle for a while.
Thanks @HAWR for all your help, take care and be well!

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] USB WiFi + Internal Wifi not working simultaneously

Post by HAWR »

Hello Furieh,

thanks for your wishes, I send it also to you. Only one question: You restored a timeshift snapshot, so are you running again with the github driver 8188eu?

Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Furieh »

Yes I'm with the github driver, do you remember the dongle showed the connections but with no power? Well I found a way to connect, anyway, regardless of the power shown on the Network Manager, I went to "Edit Connections" and selected to use a random MAC when connecting to the AP and it worked.
I don't have the slightest idea as of why, but it works. I also removed the b43 driver from the blacklist int /etc/modprobe.d/
The connection of the dongle was slow and unstable, not even stable enough to run a apt update but I got a tip from this thread at Ubuntuforums. It is as simple as running this as root.

echo "blacklist rtl8192cu"  >>  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Reboot, and you're done.

I'm updating the post title so maybe it helps other people.
Last edited by Furieh on Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

From what I found that is a really small USB dongle and I don't have much faith in them in Linux. I bought a TP Link WN723 a while back and it didn't perform well but the only available driver might have been from github then. After seeing this thread I decided to try it again and it uses the same driver as yours but the signal strength was much better than I expected and I am actually using it now on another laptop rather than use the larger WN722 with external antenna. I would rather use in the internal wifi on that one but managed to break off the antenna connections from different wifi cards in the laptops antenna connectors, these M.2 wifi cards aren't made as well as the PCI(e)

Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] RTL8188 USB + Internal WIFI not working simultaneously

Post by Furieh »

Yes, the drivers could be better. Performance could be better, too. But as The Beatles said "With a little help from my friends", we got it working.
BTW: The Beatles predicted Linux.

Cheers.

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello Furieh and JeremyB,

it's odd and miracolous, that the rtl8192cu kernel module should have something to do with the r8188eu kernel module respectively the 8818eu driver from github. But I found out the following and then it makes more sense (at least for me):

According to the LKDDB (Linux Kernel Driver DataBase)
- The rtl8192cu kernel module supports the Realtek chips RTL8192CU and RTL8188CU USB device
- The r8199eu kernel module supports the Realtek chips RTL8188EU USB device

The TL-WN725N USB adapter > there exist at least two versions (v1 and v2) of this adapter
- v1: Chip RTL8188CUS, USB-ID 0bda:8176, kernel drivers are rtl8192cu (and rtl8xxxu?)
- v2: Chip RTL8188EUS, USB-ID 0bda:8179, kernel driver is r8188eu

That solves probably the question, why in Furieh's case the rtl8192cu (maybe also the rtl8xxxu?) is loaded at all. It seems, that the two Chipsets RTL8188CUS and RTL8188EUS are very similar and the OS can't exact detect the right one of them and loads both.

That leads me to the interesting question, if the usage of only the kernel modules, dependend on which version of the USB adapter is used, will be successful, too, in combination with blacklisting the other kernel module, so that no additional driver is necessary?

Maybe someone of you wants to figure that out, because I don't have such an USB adapter? But for future supports this would be very helpful to advise only a blacklisting instead of installing an additional driver in combination with blacklisting.
Last edited by HAWR on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Hello Furieh,

why was the b43 blacklisted? You have written in your opening post, that you have installed it for your internal wifi card.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

HAWR wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:09 pm
Hello Furieh and JeremyB,

it's odd and miracolous, that the rtl8192cu kernel module should have something to do with the r8188eu kernel module respectively the 8818eu driver from github. But I found out the following and then it makes more sense (at least for me):

According to the LKDDB (Linux Kernel Driver DataBase)
- The rtl8192cu kernel module supports the Realtek chips RTL8192CU and RTL8188CU USB device
- The r8199eu kernel module supports the Realtek chips RTL8188EU USB device

The TL-WN725N USB adapter > there exist at least two versions (v1 and v2) of this adapter
- v1: Chip RTL8188CUS, USB-ID 0bda:8176, kernel drivers are rtl8192cu (and rtl8xxxu?)
- v2: Chip RTL8188EUS, USB-ID 0bda:8179, kernel driver is r8188eu

That solves probably the question, why in Furieh's case the rtl8192cu (maybe also the rtl8xxxu?) is loaded at all. It seems, that the two Chipsets RTL8188CUS and RTL8188EUS are very similar and the OS can't exact detect the right one of them and loads both.

That leads me to the interesting question, if the usage of only the kernel modules, dependend on which version of the USB adapter is used, will be successful, too, in combination with blacklisting the other kernel module, so that no additional driver is necessary?

Maybe someone of you wants to figure that out, because I don't have such an USB adapter? But for future supports this would be very helpful to advise only a blacklisting instead of installing an additional driver in combination with blacklisting.
There is no reason for rtl8192cu or rtl8xxxu to be loaded when the device used is Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter as the 0bda:8179 ID is not in either module nor are they listed as dependencies of r8188eu.

My USB has the same ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter and there is no sign of rtl8192cu or rtl8xxxu in lsmod results.

The 0bda:8176 is a different device using the rtl8192cu chipset, however the rtl8192cu module has had issues for quite some time. For quite some time we had people use https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes and blacklist rtl8192cu but that github hasn't been updated much since the release of rtl8xxxu. If rtl8xxxu covers all the devices from rtl8192cu, the rtl8192cu should be pulled from the upstream kernel IMO

HAWR
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HAWR »

Thanks for the answer, so it is clear, that rtl8192cu isn't loaded. But why does the blacklisting of rtl8192cu, which is not loaded, have an effect on the signal strength of the USB adapter, which runs with (r)8188eu, as Furieh describes it? And what happens, when you run the r8188eu kernel module in combination with blacklisting rtl8192cu without an additional (github) driver?
is not in either module nor are they listed as dependencies of r8188eu.
I can see al the ID's in the database listed belonging to the modules.
lkddb usb 0bda 8176 .. .. .. .. .. .. 0000 ffff : CONFIG_RTL8192CU CONFIG_RTLWIFI CONFIG_WLAN CONFIG_WLAN_VENDOR_REALTEK : drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/sw.c # in 4.5–4.20,
as an example for v1.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

I normally use commands in terminal like

modprobe -c | grep -i 0bda | grep 8176
To see what modules might be loaded for 0bda:8176 then once you find the module(s) you can do a modinfo <module-name> | grep depends to see what other modules might be loaded

There are other ways to load modules, just placing the module name in /etc/modules will cause the module to load and UDEV rules can be used to load modules

Furieh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Furieh »

HAWR wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:10 pm
Hello Furieh,

why was the b43 blacklisted? You have written in your opening post, that you have installed it for your internal wifi card.
I don't know. Maybe it got blacklisted during the installation of the other driver. I can't recall, but I'm preety sure it got blacklisted after installing the driver.

As for the blacklisting of rtl8192cu having anything to do with the 8188eu power bars I have no clue, but maybe you guys already are on the right track when you say it's something to do with the kernel.

Return to “Wireless”