[SOLVED] wireless does not show in the Network connections menu. Only Wired is shown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Re: wireless does not show in the Network connections menu. Only Wired is shown

Post by jimisbell »

I am giving up, its not worth it. Mint does not allow me to use Google Search, It is not friendly to WiFi, And I am not able to control text size GLOBALY and with my poor eyesight I need to make larger text that doesnt change with every whim of the operating system. I think it still needs more devewlopment. I have been using it off and on for over 20 years. Its better than MOST Win, but Win 10 is finally getting to be an operating system, Linux has a while to go.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

jimisbell wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 am Yes, I DID copy and paste it.....three times.....no keyboard entry.
Ok, just checking. Wait for JeremyB to reply, he is the best at wifi issues.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

jimisbell wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:23 am I am giving up, its not worth it. Mint does not allow me to use Google Search, It is not friendly to WiFi, And I am not able to control text size GLOBALY and with my poor eyesight I need to make larger text that doesnt change with every whim of the operating system. I think it still needs more devewlopment. I have been using it off and on for over 20 years. Its better than MOST Win, but Win 10 is finally getting to be an operating system, Linux has a while to go.
Probably best to start a different thread for those issues. But, I use Google search & control text size within browser settings.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

See if this works better

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep mt76 > error.txt; cat error.txt | nc termbin.com 9999
Post termbin URL
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

What was it supposed to do? Didnt see anything??? AND no pages of error messages so that is good.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

It should have put a termbin.com URL in the terminal window
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

No, it didnt.

im@Jims:~$ dmesg | grep mt76 > error.txt; cat error.txt | nc termbin.com 9999
jim@Jims:~$

this was all it did, just paused for a couple of seconds as though it was doing something then returned the cursor.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Remove the device, reinsert and do

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail -30
Post results

Is this some cheap USB dongle from ebay?
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

Yes it is. But not to worry, I just stomped it to death. Maybe you heard it scream. That was such a pleasant sound.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I do have a fix for some problems on the cheap dongles using that chipset, but I have to see the errors to be sure my fix works with your device
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

I killed it in a fit of passion. I will get another and if I have similar problems I will be back for your advice. It was very expensive $3.88 including the shipping. I can afford to kill a few more of them to help keep my blood pressure down. Thank you.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Get an adapter that will work out of the box on LM. Panda & Atheros have been mentioned here before, but I have no experience with any. You might want to ask here in a new thread before you purchase any.

Came across this too:
https://www.wirelesshack.org/top-linux- ... pters.html
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

This is the dongle I was using.....before I beat it to death.......

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ht9tl323 ... 0.zip/file
Brand new
Material: ABS,PC
Color: Random
Dimension:Approx. 4.9 * 1.9 * 0.81cm(L * W * H)
Plug into the computer after the free sharing of the network for a mobile phone or tablet using WIFI Internet.
Wireless wifi rounter adapter
Low energy consumption
Mini size and light weight
Support 20 MHz / 40 MHz bandwidth
QoS support-wmm, wmm-ps
Cisco CCX support.
Support Infrastructure and Ad-Hoc.
Standard protocol: IEEE 802.11n / g / b.
Automatic network detection rate and adjust transmisson.
Easy to use,connect computers,mobile phones will be able to access.Just one step,WiFi stand now! Complex set of routers are still being tortured.Set up a wireless router can be so easy: You simply a "network cable has been connected with the" computer,insert the 60 players WiFi,you can immediately experience the convenience of wireless networks .

Package Included:
1pc * Wireless WiFi 300Mbps Mini Router
Notice: macOS is not support
Revicam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Revicam »

jimisbell wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:22 pm I killed it in a fit of passion. I will get another and if I have similar problems I will be back for your advice. It was very expensive $3.88 including the shipping. I can afford to kill a few more of them to help keep my blood pressure down. Thank you.
jimisbel

I have a (about 10 years old) USB) Buffalo "Air Station Wireless G" which works in my Acer One netbook running Mint 19.0 Tara. I bought it originally for an old (P3) desktop.
( :oops: It also works on my 2 year old Lenovo Win 10 laptop as well :oops: )

I'm using it now, as an alternative to my Acer's internal WiFi card, to connect and post this reply.

So Buffalo adapters would be on my shopping list if I needed a new one.

HTH's

Peter - 73

Edit. I should have mentioned, it connects to my home network. P
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

Thanks. For now, the wife has gotten used to the cable across the livingroom floor. After I calm down I will look for a Buffalo. I have a 45-70 that should be able to handle a Buffalo if things dont work out...... :lol:
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED wireless does not show in the Network connections menu. Only Wired is shown

Post by jimisbell »

SOLVED. There was apparently something wrong with the USB modem, even though the computer could find it, because I now have another one plugged in and it is working fine and it restored the WiFi option to the menu. I have both the wired and WiFi option working now. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Beginner Questions”