DVD players crash...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David2009
Level 1
Level 1

DVD players crash...

Post by David2009 »

I have been trying to play DVDs with no success. I insert the DVD, Mint suggests a program to open (media player), it opens, reads the DVD, finds its title, and crashes. I try using Movie Player and VLC, and they crash as well.

Audio CDs play fine.

Suggestions?

Thank you.

David
____
HP Elitebook G3 running LinuxMint 21
DrHu

Re: DVD players crash...

Post by DrHu »

• 1. In synaptic/Package Manager in the mint menu uninstall vlc, (completly remove)
  • 2. mint menu>control center>systemcomputer janitor
    scans system to remove outdated/accumulated system/applications debris, pay attentions to what the computer janitor wants to delete/remove
  • 3. Install a package called bleachbit
    http://bleachbit-project.appspot.com/
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/bleachbit-cle ... ivacy.html

Run that package after it is installed. it will also clean up the systemuser areas, removing any categories you mark to check for removal
These steps should get you a cleaner system, user areas/system areas and applications, Try VLC install again, and see if it now works better, using VLC as it has most codecs and seems able to deal with dvd movies the best, but that is just one opinion..
David2009
Level 1
Level 1

Post by David2009 »

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried your suggestions. Uninstalled VLC, Bleach, reinstall VLC. I inserted the DVD, selected VLC, the program tried to start, and then crashed.

I can manually call up VLC. It sits on the desktop, but does not recognize the DVD. Audio, Video, and Playback are all greyed out. No option is available.

I went to Tools, then Codec information, and it is blank. General is blank. Extra metadata is blank. Codec details is blank. Everything in Statistics is blank.

More suggestions?

David
____
HP Elitebook G3 running LinuxMint 21
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Could you provide some hardware information? Your graphics card in particular. We need to determine if this is a graphics driver issue or an application issue to troubleshoot this.
DonDiego256

Post by DonDiego256 »

Hi, I too have been having this problem. I try to load a disc, it recognizes it (there is an icon on the desktop), but the player crashes whenever I try to play the disc.
I should add that I am a total newbie. Mint 6 is my first Linux distro - I installed it on a drive that had a malfunctioning Windows XP installation. Happy with everything else, but I'd really like to get this DVD problem fixed.
The computer is not connected to the internet, so any repairs can hopefully be done through downloaded packages on another computer.

My Linux system is:

Linux Mint 6 "Felicia"
Hewlet Packard a1320n
200 GB Samsung hard-drive.
Samsung CD / DVD ROM / Burner
Pentium 4h processor, 3.1 Ghz
ATI Radeon X1650 PRO graphics card with 256 MB of memory (I have heard of some problems with Linux and ATI, but other users' DVD problems do not seem to be tied to ATI graphics).
If there is any more information that I need to provide, I will, just let me know. I'm still poking around, trying to find my way through the Linux system structure :?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You need a proprietary ATI driver to fix the problem. I am not sure how to go about getting the driver on a system without Internet access. Possibly someone here has been in this situation and can provide the final piece of this to get things going.
DonDiego256

Post by DonDiego256 »

I have a dial-up connection which I can use, so I'll see how that works (SLOW :( )...

There is another symptom I discovered - don't know if it is relevant or not:
In Preferences > Multimedia Systems Selector, I selected the video tab to see what was being used for input / output. For input, the selected option was "Video for Linux 2(v4l2)" When I clicked the button labeled "test" the following message appeared: "Cannot identify device '/dev/video0' " So it simply sounds like the system cannot recognize the device, and (as you recommended) I need to download the proprietary driver.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Return to “Sound”