Chat about just about anything else
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: M$ selling snakeoil to Linux Users.

Post by catweazel »

karlchen wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:29 pm
Linux anti-malware products would require developing anti-malware from scratch, because the vast majority of malwere is / has to be platform specific.
That is true but...
karlchen wrote:So Windows defender ported to Linux will be of little protective use.
It does not logically follow that the malware checker must also be platform-specific, except perhaps at the very highest level where the x86 instruction-set and BIOS interrupts are considered to be the platform, not the OS. Scanning memory segments and files for malware signatures doesn't require OS-specific magick, it only requires OS-specific malware definitions.

Nice rant, though.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Well,
I have a Win7 Desktop that has had the Security Updates disabled now for 3 years, or when ever Win 8.x first showed up and Microsoft insisted on pushing that onto my Desktop...

Um, sorry, that just ain't a gonna happen.
Avast AV has taken care of that Win7 desktop for years, and it has never had an infection.
I run MalwareBytes on it once in a while for a backup test.
Why is it still running Win7? TurboTax, pure and simple. I refuse to use TurboTax Cloud.
I want all of the files stored locally only, up until I send the Income Tax results to the IRS.

that Win7 DE is never used for explorations into the wilds of the underground.
It goes only to specific websites that I have been involved with for years.
It is used occasionally with google search, but not much.

My 18.3 Cinnamon has been a godsend to me, no AV on that at all, and it has never had a problem that I did not "install myself" and timeshift backed me out of that mistake.

I have a new ASUS TUF Gaming laptop with the BIOS dated 11/2018, that so far, has eluded me being able to install Mint 19.2 on it ( or any version/brand of Linux ) ..... I just received a brand new SSD, and hope that removing the Microsoft SSD will remove that impediment. more on that later.

I am currently using the new ASUS laptop under Win10 quite successfully, for just my forums. Doing that makes the underlying OS irrelevant... Firefox is FF is FF no matter what OS that I run it on.
The reason I am using the new laptop is that it supports 5g WiFi and is 3 times faster than anything else in my house.

This new ASUS laptop has all of the Microsoft apps on it deleted, or disabled. I do not use anything Microsoft.
I use GIMP for image stuff
FF for the web
LibreOffice for that type work

and not much else. I am not a programmer, gave up on that back in 1984.... life called me into a different direction.

All of that horse radish to say that the new Microsoft Defender will not ever see any of my Linux PCs.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:07 pm
I have a Win7 Desktop that has had the Security Updates disabled now for 3 years, or when ever Win 8.x first showed up and Microsoft insisted on pushing that onto my Desktop...
That explains why I keep getting messages that I need to put $1,000,000 in karlchen's bank account or the FBI will arrest my cat.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:44 pm
That explains why I keep getting messages that I need to put $1,000,000 in karlchen's bank account or the FBI will arrest my cat.
Oh man, I seriously wished you had transferred those bucks to my bank account in a timely fashion. I could have retired immediately, instead of wasting 4 more precious years on Oracle databases. And your poor cat would not have been sent to jail.
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

karlchen wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:37 pm
Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:44 pm
Oh man, I seriously wished you had transferred those bucks to my bank account in a timely fashion. I could have retired immediately, instead of wasting 4 more precious years on Oracle databases. And your poor cat would not have been sent to jail.
Hello Sir,
I have read your post and I think we can help each other in our financial situation. You see I be a high position Nigerian Officer of the royal guard. I have saved much money and wish to got it received from my bank (The bank of Nigeria). If you send 1000.oo dollars I can afford be pay tax on withdrawl. I wish to split it with you.

Officer Karmony Khan
Bank of Nigeria Deposits Department
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

I have got the vague feeling that Officer Karmony Khan may not be the most trustworthy person on earth. I cannot tell why, it is just a belly feeling. :wink:
How to verify with the help of Microsoft Defender on Linux Mint? Please, anyone can give advice?
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

karlchen wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:04 pm
I have got the vague feeling that Officer Karmony Khan may not be the most trustworthy person on earth. I cannot tell why, it is just a belly feeling. :wink:
How to verify with the help of Microsoft Defender on Linux Mint? Please, anyone can give advice?
Thank you for calling Microsoft Support. We glad you call. Please reboot your computer and click yes when you see window. We fix for you. We do good scan yes?

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

coffee412 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:12 pm
Thank you for calling Microsoft Support. We glad you call. Please reboot your computer and click yes when you see window. We fix for you. We do good scan yes?
I asked if they had someone who could speak English last time. A very prompt hang-up by them.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

last Time that India was calling - - got to Level Three Tech Support.
:lol:
didn't know, that there was, such an thing .. ..

- - on, one day, I'd even managed to obtain the eMail address of their Facility Manager ..
8)

any way - - will that M$ snakeoil - - Be Free :?:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

gm10 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:43 pm
I think it's good news. You can think of anti-virus software what you may, but Linux malware is a real thing and the state of available AV offerings for Linux is deplorable, with a number of support threads around here centering around issues caused by them, so Microsoft forcing everybody to up their game can only mean good things.
"MS forcing everybody to up their game" has got to be the most ironic statement I've ever heard.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Minux1 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 pm
"MS forcing everybody to up their game" has got to be the most ironic statement I've ever heard.
Nothing ironic about it but I'll leave you guys to your usual... ;)
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

I think Linux forced M$ to up their game. Unfortunately, M$'s game does not involve competition and fair play. It just means more dirty tricks and revenue from scamming M$ users.

M$ windows could have been so much more if they only put some heart into it. Instead they got greedy and turned it into a cheap piece of click bate. So sad. Now M$ wants to (is) invade the Linux world.

I really hope that LM does not involve themselves with what M$ has ported to Linux. However, I can see Ubuntu doing it. :( .

Samarian Sunset
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Samarian Sunset »

METAData...that's what M$ is up to with it's free Microsoft Defender for Linux, they want even more metadate pouring into Redmond. That's the new business model for Redmond. They've found there's much more profit in mining data from end users than selling software, why else would they give away W10 and now Microsoft Defender to Linux users? Fishy indeed...no thanks!

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Samarian Sunset wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:20 pm
why else would they give away W10
... they said and went back to using their other free OS, not finding any contradiction in that.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

The point is that anything that is not open source is a potential trojan horse.
We install unknown entities like CCleaner and various AV "solutions" on our systems and assume they won't do harm or compromise our security.
Where else in real life do you see such BLIND FAITH rewarded by nothing but treachery and eventual harm?
But we're all adults and will reap the consequences of our own actions when some of those potential trojan horses we trust like they were delivered on the mount with the 10 commandments come home to roost.
The first commandment should be .... keep your eyes open and thinking cap on and don't be a naive dumbazz.

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

... in other words don’t be in a real big hurry to download and install MS trojan software onto your Linux systems. :idea:

coffee412
Level 6
Level 6

Post by coffee412 »

Exactly!

The reason I came to linux was to get away from M$.

Stay the course!

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Stay away from any MS security solutions for Linux like they are the plague because THEY ARE. :idea:
Linux needs no tutelage in computer security from that company.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

I know I have contributed a rant post against the existing antivirus products in this thread.
Distrusting the existing antivirus products, however, does not imply that I deny that Linux systems can be threatened by malware.
Here is a recent example that it can: The circumstance that so far it seems to be unknown how the malware enters a Linux system might suggest that the main entry vector is PEBKAC once again.
So Linux may need expert malware protection, yet as far as I know no such product is around, none that qualifies as an expert product.

Regards,
Karl

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

And then there's this...

Bleeping Computer: Linux, Windows Users Targeted With New ACBackdoor Malware
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

Return to “Open chat”