Extended partition - increase size... (SOLVED)

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Extended partition - increase size... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

Using LM v19.2 Mate

When I last did a new install, I partitioned my SSD as shown by the screenshot of gParted. See screenshot below. This presents a problem, inasmuch as I cannot find a way to increase the size of /dev/sda5 if I want to. And attempts to increase the size of the extended drive also fails.
gParted.png
So, my question: Is there any way I can extend the size of the extended partition and then of /dev/sda5 other than starting afresh by saving everything and partitioning the SSD with an extended partition of, say 195GiB? If this is the only answer, will the extended partition allow me to partition the space with more than four partitions?
Last edited by tenfoot on Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Extended partition - increase size...

Post by rene »

Do the lock symbols indicate you making that screenshot from your running system? If so, yes, you'd want to do any partition reshuffling from a Live system (i.e., booting the installer system). It's a bit of a mess though, what with sda1 not at the start of the disk. Certainly you'd be able to move things around and grow partitions from the Live system but is it really a problem to start fresh? Moving that 50G / partition to the front will probably take longer than a reinstall on an empty drive...
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Hi Rene

Thank you for your very prompt reply.

Yes, the screenshot is from the running system and I do realise that any adjustments to the partitions must be made through a "live" system. I agree the set up is a "bit of a mess" at present :oops:

What I had intended was to partition the 256GB SSD to allow me to have more than the limited four partitions and obviously my ancient brain did not think it through. So, your advice is sought, please. Would the following achieve what I am after?

/dev/sda extended <size of drive less 10%>
/dev/sda1 linux swap 1.56GB
/dev/sda2 Linux Mint 75GB
unallocated 143GB

Would this allow me to partition the unallocated into say 4 equal partitions, if I wish?
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

The way you wrote that not really no. But let us first confirm that this is an old BIOS system: if it's a UEFI system you should use GPT partitioning. Even it IS a BIOS system, you still can use GPT partitioning if you don't need to boot Windows from that same drive.

Second, is the "less 10%" intended as overprovisioning space? If so, sure, having plenty of free blocks definitely helps an SSD, but I do feel lightly compelled to point out that your SSD is not 256G but 240G, i.e., that I would wager a guess that it does 256 GiB - 240 GB = 35GB of internal overprovisioning already; that 35 + 24 seems a tad wasteful.

If it's a BIOS system and/or GPT-partitioning is definitively undesirable, sure, plain old logical partitions will do also, but they need to reside within the extended partition; latter is due to that usually the last primary partition. Although unnecessary in a fundamental sense it's customary to have at least one "real" primary, and given that you can have as many logical partitions as you want, it's most flexible to have all others as logicals.

Note that a swap-partition isn't necessary these days, so you could make do with just one to Mint allocated partition, /dev/sda1, of 75G, with the rest of the disk unpartitioned, or with /dev/sda2 an extended partition filling the remainder of the disk (or remainder minus 10% if you insist) and whichever and how many logical partitions you want inside.

But first of all please confirm that GPT is out...
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

(need to be away, I'm afraid)
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Check your BIOS, if it supports UEFI boot, then create a GPT partition table on the drive (it will wipe what is there) - gparted can do that. Then you can have as many partitions as you want. When you install mint it will create a small EFI partition (it holds the bootloader) around 100MB formatted fat32.

If you are stuck with legacy MBR, then I'd go for:

sda1 : primary : ext4 and install mint in it
sda2 : extended - let it take the rest of the drive
sda5..n : logical partitions within the extended partition.

You can leave empty/unallocated space inside the extended partition.

I wouldn't bother overprovisioning a new SSD.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Hi AndyMH

All is now well :D

My BIOS does not support UEFI so I went with the Legacy boot and partitioned my drive with LMv1*.2 assigned 75.0GB and the remainder as an Extended partion with the ability to partition as logical drives should I ever decide to try other distributions.

Thank you for your advice/ I will mark this as solved.
tenfoot

Return to “Other topics”