Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vineyridge
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED> Creating .iso from CD

Post by vineyridge »

I'm trying to create an .iso from an old game CD. I've searched here and other places, and nothing seems to be the same as my "burning" software options.

I have Brasero, and it does not have an option to create an .iso in the disk copy choices. I can make a .toc file, but I have no idea what that is. I can make a Cue image or a cdrdao image, but .iso is not a listed choice.
Screenshot from 2019-11-17 12-29-37.png
Screenshot from 2019-11-17 12-29-37.png (15.46 KiB) Viewed 660 times
I have Xfburn. When it opens, I have no choice for cloning or disk copying. I have no idea how to proceed. " Burning image" seems to apply only after the source files have been added as the final step.
Screenshot from 2019-11-17 12-37-19.png
In "create a new data compilation", there is no option for copying the whole disk; each directory and file (even within the directory?) has to be added separately, and I thought the whole point of an .iso was a complete and single copy of an operating medium

I have K3B. It offers a "copy medium" option. I click on that, and I cannot find a save to file option. It will create a .tmp file of an .iso, but my only choice for Burn Medium is the same device. It doesn't seem to want to allow me to create a permanent .iso on file. "Burn image" seems to require a physical medium.

I'm baffled.

The old CD is of a Sierra game. I have no idea if it has anti-copying protection built into it. I would doubt it, as all of the burners will allow me to burn another CD.

Once again, I must ask "What am I doing wrong or not doing?"
Last edited by vineyridge on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Creating .iso from CD

Post by gm10 »

Mint menu > Disks > select the CD drive on the left > click the three dots menu at the top and select to create a disk image.
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

derrick1120
Level 2
Level 2

Post by derrick1120 »

You'll need to burn to a DVD or USB.

Have a look at this guide - https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html

vineyridge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vineyridge »

THANK YOU! So simple and so hard to discover on my own!

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

You're welcome. And another tip you may not know: You can double click the created .iso in your file manager and it will get mounted as a new device - if there's no further copy protection that may be enough to run your game.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Re: <SOLVED> Creating .iso from CD

Post by bjmh46 »

Acetoneiso is also capable of doing what you want:
-open acetoneiso
-select image conversion
-select generate iso from cd/dvd

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: <SOLVED> Creating .iso from CD

Post by phd21 »

Hi vineyridge,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.
vineyridge wrote:I have K3B. It offers a "copy medium" option. I click on that, and I cannot find a save to file option. It will create a .tmp file of an .iso, but my only choice for Burn Medium is the same device. It doesn't seem to want to allow me to create a permanent .iso on file. "Burn image" seems to require a physical medium.
K3b can easily create an .iso file from CD/DVD discs using "Copy Medium" option -> check "Create image" -> click "image" tab and change the write image to location if you want, click start button. This will not necessarily work for copy protected discs.

"K9Copy" is another application that can create iso files.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Software & Applications”