Unable to compile Linux driver for serial card

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: Unable to compile Linux driver for serial card

Post by lagagnon »

In the source code directory whre you are compiling from is there an "configure" script? If so run "./configure" first, then make,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ProtocolOH

Post by ProtocolOH »

BUMP. I have the exact same issue when compiling similar drivers for an MCS9901 (PCI-Express 4-port serial card):
http://www.syba.com/index.php?controlle ... fo&Id=1003

Here's my output (Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28):

Code: Select all

rm -f *.mod.c *.o *.ko .*.cmd *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/build/  SUBDIRS=/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic'
  CC [M]  /usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.o
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c: In function "receive_chars":
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c:622: error: "struct uart_info" has no member named "tty"
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c: In function "receive_chars_dma_done":
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c:852: error: "struct uart_info" has no member named "tty"
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c: In function "serial9900_handle_port":
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c:957: error: "struct uart_info" has no member named "tty"
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c: In function "serial9900_probe":
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c:2062: error: "SA_SHIRQ" undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c:2062: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.c:2062: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex/9900.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/local/driver/MCS9901_Linux/version1.6/starex] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic'
make: *** [default] Error 2
I suspect that these guys haven't maintained their driver code through kernel releases, and now they're selling cards that they advertise as working with "Linux 2.6.11 and higher", but with drivers that haven't been updated since about 2.6.20, judging by the comments in the source code.
http://www.drivers-download.com/Drv/Mos ... nux.tar.gz

I've popped off emails to Syba and MOSCHIP. So... what's to do?
ProtocolOH

Post by ProtocolOH »

Updated: Fat chance that we'll get any support from Moschip on this one. This is quoted from an email I received from a Syba technical support person:
Thank you for your inquiry. Currently, this driver does not support Kernel 2.6.28 on Ubuntu. Unfortunately, the chipset manufacturer has not released any driver for this new kernel. The linux driver for MSC9901 currently only tested on Kernel version 2.6.11-1.1369 that is available with Fedora Core 4, Kernel version 2.6.15 on Fedora Core 4, Kernel version 2.6.18 on Fedora Core 4 and Kernel version 2.6.21 with FC7.
In other words, "our chipset vendor is no longer supporting this part, please go away now." Classy. I would stick to either a Moxa-brand board (they supply source-level Linux drivers for all current and past products), or perhaps a board based on Oxford Semi's chips. I just ordered a Startech 4-port serial board (PEX4S952) from Buy.com for $90 shipped. It's based on the Oxford OXPCIe954, which appears in Linux kernel patch Google results (unlike the MCS9901 on my other board). Their manual says it supports Linux kernel 2.4.x or 2.6.x; we'll see.

As for supporting the Moschip boards... unless some enterprising soul wants to take Moschip's code and bring it in line with the latest kernel, I don't see their chips being supported soon if at all. This Syba board's going into our Windows workstation when I yank it.

EDIT: The Oxford Semi board works great in Linux (kernel 2.6.28). Didn't have to compile any drivers, was supported right out of the box. Startech uses these chips (OXPCI*) on several of their boards. Only alternative I can suggest. (FWIW, the Syba board auto-installed in our Vista box, so at least it's good for something.)

EDIT 2: Finally got a response back from Moschip:
MCS9901 Linux driver supports up to Kernel version 2.6.25 only.
We will update the drivers soon.
So, don't hold your breath.
luboss

Post by luboss »

Hello,

I've got the driver to work but I have problem with printing on serial port.
There are extra blank lines. Has someone similar problem?
Can someone advise how to get it to work properly with stty or setserial?

Thanks
Blue Thunder

Post by Blue Thunder »

Can't really help, but just thought I'd post some info for those looking for a Linux compatible parallel/serial board.

Couldn't find a Startek board where I live (Aust), so I started trying to find one that used an Oxford Semi chip (as suggested by ProtocolOH). Everything I came across seemed to use the Moschip chip, but I finally found a HP parallel+serial board (part number: KD062AA) which appeared to use an Oxford Semi chip, so I ordered one. Turns out it does use an Oxford chip - OX16PCI954 to be specific.

Anyways it worked perfectly in Mint 7 (Linux kernel 2.6.28), no drivers to muck about with, just "plug & play". Much better than the parallel to usb adapter I bought (couldn't even print using that). Finally I can use my outdated Canon BJC-210 :P

Now to see if it works on Windows...
prunee

Post by prunee »

How can I boot my windows os after i have installed fedora? I needed to installed Fedora Linux for school, I want to keep Fedora but also would like to boot windows up whenever I'm not using Fedora. The problem is I can't boot windows up because Fedora is my default Operating System Now.

Return to “Hardware Support”