Install from ISO [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1

Install from ISO [SOLVED]

Post by desertViking »

Hi,

I installed Mint on a desktop system a couple of weeks ago, and have really enjoyed it. So, last night I thought I'd try it on an old laptop, a T22 with 256MB of RAM. This is indicated to be enough, but with "live noapic nolapic" I can only get as far as launching the installer from the desktop.

Somewhere between the launch and selecting timezone, the system hangs after much churning on the CD ROM.

So, I thought about a trick that I did once with Knoppix where I booted from the ISO image located on the hard drive. When I mounted the ISO image, though, I couldn't find a typical vmlinuz or other such kernel file.

Has anyone information about how to do this? With a graphic installer only, I seem at a loss how to install it otherwise on my T22. Advice of any sort is welcome.

Kind regards.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

To use the iso from a hdd has been discussed here
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... all&t=2263
However in your case I doubt it'll help. May be to low on RAM or odd hardware or both
However a textbased installer is in the making, but it will be some time before it's ready to use
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desertViking »

I've got so far as booting to vmlinuz and initrd.gz, turned off splash and quiet to see what's going on, and it stalls out on waiting for the root file system. This appears (from the instructions) as though it should point /dev/ram, but ubuntu points to /dev/rd/0. I've tried both and it stops there. One other issue that isn't clear to me. The ISO image that I have is in a sub directory. Do you know if it needs to be at the root of the boot device?

Sincere thanks.
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desertViking »

I think I see the problem. the ISO image needs to be "copied" to a partition (/dev/hda2) for example. I'll try to resize this partition and see if that works. This is my home partition, so I'd rather not destroy the whole thing.
desertViking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desertViking »

I had some time to come back and look at this again.
The boot options that are default in Bianca (haven't looked at 3.00 yet) indicate a RAM allocation of more than a GB. With 256MB on this laptop even with a swap disk there wasn't enough space. So, I edited the boot options by pressing F6, and changed it to 200MB. Works fine with this setting, and was easily able to install.

Return to “Installation & Boot”