No-IP will not install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

No-IP will not install

Post by linux_trojan »

I have had this problem for the past few releases of this distro. In the past, some how I got it working by searching the internet and experimenting, then suddenly boom,it works. I keep thinking, "oh they will do a bug fix" WRONG. My brain is too worn out from this to continue trial and error, can someone help me. This is what I get.

/usr/local/src/noip-2.1.9-1# make install
if [ ! -d /usr/local/bin ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/bin;fi
if [ ! -d /usr/local/etc ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/etc;fi
cp noip2 /usr/local/bin/noip2
/usr/local/bin/noip2 -C -c /tmp/no-ip2.conf
make: /usr/local/bin/noip2: Command not found
Makefile:28: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 127

Always the same thing for the past few years, I just cant think about this any more. Your help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: No-IP will not install

Post by rene »

Works absolutely fine on 19.2 64-bit. I expect you have an issue concerning the dynamic linker. Is this a 32-bit install? 19.2? Some kind of "fakeroot" / virtual environment? What does ldd /usr/local/bin/noip2 report? Was the step before the make install a make or are you trying to use a precompiled version?
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

I am using 19.2 64 bit

I am using no virtual machines or anything

usr/local/src/noip-2.1.9-1$ ldd /usr/local/bin/noip2
not a dynamic executable

For /usr/local/bin/noip2 I did a chmod 777 on it just to make sure there was no blockage at all.

The sequence of commands was
$make
$sudo make install

I am using the installation package directly from NoIP.com
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

linux_trojan wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:08 pm The sequence of commands was
$make
$sudo make install
The $ and sudo imply you being your own user rather than root, but this is supposedly in /usr/local/src/noip-2.1.9-1: the make would error out due to not being able to write its results. Nor could you of course have unpacked the source archive there as your user in the first place, so we're not seeing uninterpreted content.

Moreover, I just checked again, and even the in the archive supplied precompiled binaries are dynamic executables and work fine on 19.2 so frankly, your report makes not a shred of sense; doubly not with the "for the past few years". If you hadn't had the basic build environment installed you'd have gotten explicit error messages so that's not it either it seems, and all I can at this point tell you is that it works fine:

Code: Select all

rene@hp8k:/usr/local/src$ sudo -s
root@hp8k:/usr/local/src# apt-get install build-essential
[ ... ]
root@hp8k:/usr/local/src# wget http://www.no-ip.com/client/linux/noip-duc-linux.tar.gz
[ ... ]
root@hp8k:/usr/local/src# tar xzf noip-duc-linux.tar.gz 
root@hp8k:/usr/local/src# cd noip-2.1.9-1/
root@hp8k:/usr/local/src/noip-2.1.9-1# make
gcc -Wall -g -Dlinux -DPREFIX=\"/usr/local\" noip2.c -o noip2 
noip2.c: In function ‘dynamic_update’:
noip2.c:1595:6: warning: variable ‘i’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
  int i, x, is_group, retval, response;
      ^
noip2.c: In function ‘domains’:
noip2.c:1826:13: warning: variable ‘x’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
         int x;
             ^
noip2.c: In function ‘hosts’:
noip2.c:1838:20: warning: variable ‘y’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
         int     x, y, z;
                    ^
root@hp8k:/usr/local/src/noip-2.1.9-1# make install
if [ ! -d /usr/local/bin ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/bin;fi
if [ ! -d /usr/local/etc ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/etc;fi
cp noip2 /usr/local/bin/noip2
/usr/local/bin/noip2 -C -c /tmp/no-ip2.conf

Auto configuration for Linux client of no-ip.com.

Please enter the login/email string for no-ip.com 
.. at which point it's waiting for me to enter credentials. I can see no reason why it wouldn't for you that would last over multiple versions of Mint and "the past few years".

FWIW, I recently in fact wrote my own little cron-based noip.sh update script so as to not bother with that client and in a pinch I'll share it, but there's still no reason why the normal client flat-out wouldn't work for you on a standard Mint install, so walk through the above, and be explicit about any error messages.
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

I appreciate the input. I followed all the commands and it just gives me the same errors. I feel certain that I am missing a type of C or C++ compiler of some sort.

In the past, I scanned the internet and install lots of little obscure compilers. The problem is that you have to always reboot to make it work. I would install a few, reboot, install some more, reboot again. In the end, I couldnt figure out which one exactly made the difference. I dont want to recklessly just install every C and C++ compiler I see, so I am trying this board. In my opinion, judging by the errors, looks like some type of compiler scripting error that I have seen in the past.

Why everyone else installs the right compilers out of the box? I dont know. I have the same problem with VMware - there is always some secret bug fix somewhere, at some repository I dont trust and never heard off before.

I am actually a programmer, not an OS guy. I chose Linux for free Fortran compilers and GAMBAS, and a networking system that makes sense to me. Also safer and more stable OS than Windows which is full of holes. I should close this thread but I am going to leave it open for the heck of it. But I quit on this one.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Unless you are ignoring and not reporting actual error messages from make or the compiler, heads nor tales can be made of this. But the archive as said also provides pre-compiled versions. I.e., after unpacking the archive in /usr/local/src as per above, rather than compiling it yourself:

root@hp8k:/usr/local/src# cd noip-2.1.9-1/
root@hp8k:/usr/local/src/noip-2.1.9-1# cp binaries/noip2-x86_64 noip2
root@hp8k:/usr/local/src/noip-2.1.9-1# make install
There's really absolutely no way that'll be able to not work unless you have really, completely and utterly fubared your system...
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

Ok that worked. I never saw anything about precompiled on the No-IP website. They had some girl on a video that said if installation doesnt work then you are missing a compiler: "Go Do That".

I am glad I came on these boards. Saved me headaches. And, now I got it all in writing so I can print it and use in the future. Thx.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Well. I'd say a few headaches remain, giving you do seem to have a somewhat messed up system. Try compiling true.c:

#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)
{
	return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
with gcc -W -Wall -o true true.c and, if successful, running it via ./true && echo true. Any part of that failing after sudo apt-get install build-essential points to a seriously compromised environment.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

linux_trojan wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:03 am In the past, I scanned the internet and install lots of little obscure compilers. The problem is that you have to always reboot to make it work. I would install a few, reboot, install some more, reboot again. In the end, I couldnt figure out which one exactly made the difference. I dont want to recklessly just install every C and C++ compiler I see, so I am trying this board. In my opinion, judging by the errors, looks like some type of compiler scripting error that I have seen in the past.

Why everyone else installs the right compilers out of the box? I dont know. I have the same problem with VMware - there is always some secret bug fix somewhere, at some repository I dont trust and never heard off before.
Well, having a lot of obscure compilers installed could certainly be the reason for your problem, but as rene said, without seeing the actual compiler output we will never be able to tell you. ;)

For the record:

apt install build-essential
is all everyone else is doing to get the right compilers. ;)
linux_trojan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux_trojan »

Since I am not an OS guy, I really dont fiddle with the OS files. I simply use linux and install software from the repositories When I upgrade it is always a clean install. The only thing I dont format is the HOME directory. I leave that untouched and just set a mount point for it: something like /home/trojan/.

only thing I can think of is that something from past years got on my HOME directory and that is causing issues. All the same, it is WORKING. And I am happy.

Return to “Software & Applications”