Canon ts9120 printer [solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Canon ts9120 printer [solved]

Post by stevengarland »

I am looking at online directions for installing the subject printer on Mint Cinnamon 19.1. The following terminal command does not bring the the results desired
sudo apt install libxml2 libglade2-0 libpng12-0 libtiff5

The result is: tiff5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libpng12-0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

What do I need to do to my package source?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Canon ts9120 printer

Post by stevengarland »

I might add asking about something called BrightQ from Codehost that purports to handle printing with Canon & Linux. Anybody know about this?
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello stevengarland,

here is a good how-to for installing Canon Pixma printers:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html

I'm soory, but I don't know anything about BrightQ.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

I tried this some time back. The Mint setup only enabled me to do simple print jobs with almost no control (compared with the normal Canon setup on Windows which has all sorts of settings/functions). The Canon recommended drivers were a mess and just didn't work.
Have you actually done this with good results? If so, then I will try again as it must be me.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello stevengarland,

I have no Canon Pixma Printer, I only followed a lot of threads with installing (printing/scanning) it in Linux. And in many cases it worked satisfying for the users. But If you even tried it and you are not satisfied with printer functions, I can only offer to try it with turboprint for linux:

https://www.turboprint.info/printer_Can ... S9120.html

You can test it 30 days for free and make your decision to purchase it or not. It only supports printing but not scanning. But the scanning function can maybe realized with the Canon scanner driver in combination with the sane-ppa support.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

This went no where. Are you posting things that you are actually using or just theories?
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

I have a canon TS9160 on my system. You need to d/l and install the following two files...
1. scangearmp2
2. cnijfilters
These are both canon files. Scangear is not included on the drivers cd and neither is cnijfilters.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello stevengarland,
This went no where. Are you posting things that you are actually using or just theories?
I have been able to help many users with my "theories". But maybe you should first learn a friendly way to interact before it can work with technical help.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

Sorry to be too blunt. I have been using one sort of Linux or another for a long time and I have learned not to spend a lot of time on solutions that have never actually worked for anyone. My experience is that if a solution is really working for someone, then it should also work for me. On the other hand, if it is just a theory, the it may not actually work. The time I will spend on it is allocated accordingly.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

The printer and scanner drivers offered by Canon itself are no theory. You can install and use them or not and you have written, that you have tried that earlier. No one here has something to do with the circumstance, that you are not satisfied with possibilities of setting/printing functions from the Canon printer driver and the programs in Linux. So I offered you a link to a professional software for Linux and your printer model. Is it a theory, that you can download and test it for free??? By the way, BrightQ is designed for the Canon Image Runner models, not for the PIXMA models.

The scanning function can be supported in addition to the Canon driver by the so called "sane-ppa", if the usage of Simple Scan or Xsane doesn't run with the driver itself. You opened a new thread about that and maybe someone helps you to get it running.

Return to “Installation & Boot”