[SOLVED] Text size before boot and Boot menu maintenance

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Text size before boot and Boot menu maintenance

Post by jimisbell »

I am 83 so spend a lot of my time trying to enlarge the text and eliminate superfluous stuff so I can read what is really necessary. The text on my "boot menu", the list of the various OS that are available, is so small I cant read it on a 16" monitor and I havent the foggiest idea where to adjust it since Mint has not yet booted??? Also I would like to remove some of the versions , that go back to Mint 8, from the list. Where do I go to make these adjustments???
Last edited by jimisbell on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Text size before boot and Boot menu maintenance

Post by kukamuumuka »

Take # off from /etc/default/grub ´s #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 line and then update grub.

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
..... edit and save
Ctrl o
Ctrl x

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub

jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Text size before boot and Boot menu maintenance

Post by jimisbell »

That worked PERFECTLY.....but it took me over half an hour to pick my way thru the operation of that editor!! It isnt even close to being intuitive. Is there a place where I can find a guide to the commands for it?
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: [SOLVED] Text size before boot and Boot menu maintenance

Post by AZgl1500 »

at first, I thought I would like to have the text size Humongous,

but it has brought up a huge problem....
if I choose options, the lines are so long, that I can only see maybe 1/3rd or 1/2 of the text.

I put the # back in front of #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480, updated grub, to no avail.

my 19.3 Cinnamon grub menu is way too huge, I need to reduce it by half, or back to OEM
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”