(solved) Backup options

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Backup options

Post by Slowpoke47 »

cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

The only advice I would add to all the replies you have had is to use an application that does not encrypt, compress, or otherwise alter your data so that only that specific application can restore it. That likely means having a larger backup, but the benefit is that the backup can be read by any OS if your own system goes disastrously wrong.
Cliff Coggin
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Slowpoke47 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:45 pm Have had no problem backing up Win7 with two or three successive downloaded apps, most recently Macrium, which not long ago proved its worth by helping me recover from a serious problem.
As gittiest personITW said, you can use Macrium for a Linux system. Never done it myself, but this tutorial seems to work for most people.

BTW, I've not gone into my backup strategy because I do this differently from what you're looking for. There are many paths through the forest.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:55 pm
TNorth wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:28 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:56 pm I've looked at LuckyBackup, and I plan to use that (in spite of the goofy name).
I'd be interested to see how you like LuckyBackup once you get it set up! Hope you post back with an update!

Thanks!
I like LuckyBackup as it backs up your files as files. Handy for me.
Some programs back up your data as a snapshot/package. Handy for some others.

Its nice and easy to use and lets you know if there are problems.
I have various external drives that are attached at various times and it figures out which one is connected and just gets on with the job.
Remember to backup your profiles in Lucky Backup.

Good luck with it.
this is precisely why I chose LuckyBackup.
it stores the files straight across to the other HDD/SSD in the same exact format the original is.

I run mine manually, when I think the /home has changed enough to warrant backing up the data.

to me, using any format, that renders the target image unreadable with a file manager is stupid.
I once ran a backup image of just the Data because I lost the preferences to a single application....

In less than 10 minutes, I was horrified to learn that I had lost a huge amount of files stored under /DATA/......

All of my Windows PCs now have AlwaySync running on a permanent USB backup Data drive.

you might just as well Image the whole entire HDD.... I do this on my Windows PCs once or twice a year.

On my Linux PCs, I use LuckyBackup and Aptik and TimeShift.
each has it own attributes that make it useful.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

You might want to take a look at FreeFileSync. I've used it in the past and it's reliable.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Just now looked at the docs for fwbackups. User interface looks intuitive, but I see no option for a system image, only choices of files and folders. Experience has proven to me the value of an occasional image- say, monthly- to supplement weekly user file backups. Anyone using fwbackups care to comment?
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Followup- considering using fwbackups for weekly data backups and clonezilla for monthly system image. Comments? Can this be done on the same ext. HDD by partitioning? (No idea how to do that!)
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

It is too bad the author of ARECA BACKUP has abandoned it so it is about time to move on. I've been using Areca for several years for differential backups and the one thing I like is the way it can do a merge to update the full-backup base to keep it current. So after a set number of backups, you can set it up to automatically merge the full-backup base with the oldest differential backup which keeps it current to your set number. Otherwise, in order to refresh the base you have to delete everything and start over.

Do any of these other backup utilities do that ?
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Previously, I tried and failed to get Veeam installed as my backup utility. Most of the other choices don't do system images, which I can attest can be crucial to restoring your OS. Here's a detailed explanation on installing Veeam for those, like me, who are not tech experts: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/a ... ernal-hdd/

With this I'm ready to give Veeam another try.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Mint's Backup Tool is a good option if you want a simple backup of your home directory contents.

It saves the backup as a TAR file, which is easily read/extracted by using the File Manager (Archive Manager), and also can be read/extracted by 7-Zip in Windows.

You have the option of extracting all or just selected files.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

JerryF wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:21 pm Mint's Backup Tool is a good option if you want a simple backup of your home directory contents.

It saves the backup as a TAR file, which is easily read/extracted by using the File Manager (Archive Manager), and also can be read/extracted by 7-Zip in Windows.

You have the option of extracting all or just selected files.
Greetings from a fellow Rhode Islander. I have found plenty of backup apps, but the one mentioned in my last post saves system images, which is a must for me, due to a recent recovery (in Win7) that would have been impossible without a full image.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Slowpoke, you may not be aware that Veeam won't run on Linux.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Larry78723 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:39 pm Slowpoke, you may not be aware that Veeam won't run on Linux.
For a step by step tutorial on installing Veeam on Mint, see my link above.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I keep full disk Images,
and straight file backups...

I do not like the backups being converted into an unreadable format... even the Archive reader is a mess to work with.

With the LuckyBackups, you can use NEMO or other file manager to just look to find your file, look at it, copy and save.... w/o any conversions.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Disk images are great to have, but sometimes you just want to retrieve a file (or several files) that were deleting and didn't go into the Trash to recover.
Slowpoke47
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Slowpoke47 »

JerryF wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:45 am Disk images are great to have, but sometimes you just want to retrieve a file (or several files) that were deleting and didn't go into the Trash to recover.
Veeam Free installed today, currently on a test drive. While this app is new to me (as is Mint), I'm told by a knowledgeable Veeam/Mint user that restoring individual files from a Veeam bare-metal backup is readily do-able.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: (solved) Backup options

Post by JerryF »

Great news!

Return to “Beginner Questions”