Issues installing VMWare Workstation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Issues installing VMWare Workstation

Post by townsbg »

I'm setting up linux on a secondary computer for testing purposes. I installed mint cinnamon 19.2 today and I'm having problems installing programs. I'm not very good at linux. So far I've installed truecrypt and VMare Workstation and neither are running. Both installs went without any issues and the icons are there but they don't work. What am I doing wrong? Also I went from Firefox to Firefox ESR. It installed fine and runs however it's out of date and the about page doesn't have an update button.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Issues installing applications

Post by townsbg »

For Vmware I tried to use this guide https://www.linuxbuzz.com/install-vmwar ... linuxmint/ but Linux didn't like this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential -y
So then I used this: viewtopic.php?t=239714#p1279161

During the process I got a the errors on the command prompt "unable to locate theme engine in module_path: adwaita" as well as murrine but the installation menu loaded and it then installed.

I just tried the apt install gcc from https://www.linuxtechi.com/install-vmwa ... x-mint-18/ and the command ran successfully but VMWare still isn't working.

I used this to setup Firefox: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/11/h ... tu-or.html

I tried to use this to setup Truecrypt but the location wasn't found. viewtopic.php?t=231555

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stefansundin/truecrypt
I'm not good with installing programs on Linux. Please help.

Vmware Install Error.png
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Howdy townsbg, welcome to the Linux Mint Forums. You've actually asked three questions, of which I can help with two.

Before you do any of this, it's important that you restore the system to it's state before your failed attempts. Did you set up Timeshift? (You were prompted to do so at installation, twice.) If so, restore a snapshot from before you tried to install these apps. Maybe you'll have to redo a few installations that did work. Sorry. One of the things you should do is slow down and do this stuff one app at a time.

--------------------

Let's start with TrueCrypt. Can't tell where you're going sideways, but I can confirm it installs and runs fine in Mint. (So does VeraCrypt, which is what most folks recommend these days, as it's being maintained where TrueCrypt is not.) To review, what you're supposed to have done is run three commands in Terminal, one after the other:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install truecrypt
You mention only the first command. Did you run the second and third?

--------------------

As for VMWare, I installed Player at some point. Ended up uninstalling, but still have my notes.

Download the Linux “bundle” (149 MB), saving in Downloads folder. Open Terminal and cd Downloads. Make bundle executable with chmod +x VMware-Player*. Now run it with sudo ./VMware-Player* (notice dot). This brings up a GUI installer. Click through dialogue boxes, which basically consists of accepting licenses. From here, installation takes about five minutes. App will be added to Menu in System Tools.

Notice I did not install build-essential, as I found it unnecessary although recommended by a few sources. OTOH, doesn't hurt to have, so don't worry about it.

By the way, an important thing to have, but annoyingly difficult to find, is the Manual, which discusses installation among other things. For uninstall, you don't use the usual Linux commands. Instead you run sudo vmware-installer -u vmware-player.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by townsbg »

No I didn't set up timeshift. With Truecrypt I tried the first command but it couldn't find it. I didn't try the other true since the first didn't run but I will and report back. What I did was download the installer and ran that from command line. I got it from here: https://www.truecrypt71a.com/downloads/ I know about veracrypt but I don't like it. The installer ran without issues and I have the icon but it doesn't load. I think that this is environmental. Do you agree? This is a brand new install. Should I install it again or is there a way to fix it?

For VMWare I did it like you said. The gui ran and didn't report any problem however I did get the errors in the screenshot before the gui ran. Do those errors mean anything? Could that be why it isn't loading?

Also once after Linux froze today I got a boot selection and it said ubuntu. Is that normal?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

At the risk of sounding snarky, if an experienced user tells you something works (in this case, two somethings), it's pretty likely you made a boo-boo. Picking through the haystack trying to figure out where you went sideways is nearly impossible. So, do a reinstall. Set up Timeshift and take a baseline snapshot. Run updates and take another snapshot. Now, you don't have to worry about reinstalling any time soon, cuz you can restore the second snapshot. (Eventually you can delete the first one, but keep it for a month or so.) Then modify settings, install stuff you didn't have problems with, etc., until you're back to where you were. Take a third snapshot. Now we can get to work. Post in the thread. I'll get a notification.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by townsbg »

I was afraid of that. I tried the truecrypt commands again and was able to get truecrypt to work. I googled the errors in the screenshot and found some instructions but those didn't work so I'll reinstall.

I noticed on my grub menu that my Windows install is there. How? Windows is on a separate drive that was powered off during the linux install.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

townsbg wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:49 pm I noticed on my grub menu that my Windows install is there. How? Windows is on a separate drive that was powered off during the linux install.
If you installed updates, and there was a kernel update included, that would have run update-grub when it finished. If the Drive was powered on at that time, that would explain that.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

townsbg wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:49 pm ... found some instructions but those didn't work so I'll reinstall.
It will be easier in the long run. If you hang around the Forum for a while, you'll notice troubleshooting can be a treacherous sinkhole.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by townsbg »

What's the best way to put Firefox ESR on? The download only has the file. It isn't an installer. Would I just replace the folder?
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by townsbg »

Well unfortunately VMWare isn't working after the install. I have a timeshift snapshot from before the install but all I've done on it is install truecrypt and VMWare. I accidentally deleted the snapshot from after the linux install. So do I revert or reinstall? All I've done is updates, truecrypt, and VMWare. I need to get this working. I got the same errors in command prompt that I did yesterday as shown in the screenshot. Please, does that have anything to do with it? You never said yesterday when I asked.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

townsbg wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 pm Please, does that have anything to do with it? You never said yesterday when I asked.
Short answer: I've not seen those errors and don't know what they mean.

Let's start with an important question. Are you trying to install Workstation or Player? Player is the free app. You need a license for Workstation. The tutorial you're following is for Workstation and the commands are different. I'll try to help, but my experience is with Player.

Meanwhile, it's unclear. Were you able to install TrueCrypt? Does it work?
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by townsbg »

It is workstation and I have a serial number. More specifically it is version 12. I don't need help using it but only getting it to work. If necessary you can install a trial. Oh I tried both Workstation and player since both are installed and neither work.

As for truecrypt it installed and ran using the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install truecrypt
However the snapshot restore removed it but that isn't an issue since I can put it back. The issue now is Workstation. I'm thinking of replacing Windows 7 with Linux sometime next year on my primary computer but I want to be able to run a windows virtual machine which is the reason why I set up this install. I have to test a few things out first.

If it helps I get the following error when I run vmware &. I'm not sure if it's significant.

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig: Relink `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbsd.so.0' with `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1' for IFUNC symbol `clock_gettime'
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Here's the thing. I'm sure there's a way to install WorkStation, but I'm not familiar. Haven't done it, so I don't know the steps and don't know what they should look like if it goes correctly. And, like before, I've not run into your latest error report, so don't know what it means.

Here's what I recommend. I take it TrueCrypt has been resolved. We've not discussed Firefox, but that deserves it's own thread anyway. Go back to the first post in this thread and edit the title to "Issues installing VMWare Workstation." You edit the title of the first post because that's the one indexed on the main page. Hopefully this will bring in someone with relevant experience.

By the way, I assume you're trying to install Workstation because you've used it in the past and it's familiar. If not and/or you can't get it working, consider VirtualBox. Full version available for free. Runs Windows in a VM very well.

Sorry couldn't be more help. Good luck.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Issues installing VMWare Workstation

Post by townsbg »

So I did another install and this time I didn't do anything before trying to install Workstation. It still wouldn't work. I don't install updates or anything else.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by townsbg »

Pbear: Did you install player 15 or 12? Can you try 12?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

townsbg wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:41 pm Pbear: Did you install player 15 or 12? Can you try 12?
I installed Player 15. Sorry, working on other things like testing the beta releases for 19.3, so don't have the bandwidth to try Workstation 12. As you're not getting any responses (most folks here use VBox), maybe try a VMWare forum?

ETA: Had a spare few minutes while downloading something, so took another look at this. The first tutorial linked in the OP is for Player. For that, you would be better off using my instructions. The second is for Workstation, but the download link is broken. What link did you use?

ETA2: A quick internet search turns up this tutorial for Pro 15, with this download link. Similar here. Why don't you give those a try?

ETA3: Worked for me. If you need WS12 because that's the license you have, try that bundle by the (very simple) procedure in the linked tutorial.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by townsbg »

The only difference in what I've done and that first tutorial is this:
[root@tecmint Downloads]# yum install kernel-devel [On RedHat Systems]
I tried installing that and linux was unable to locate it. As per your other suggestion I created a thread 3 days ago on the VM community and I haven't gotten a single response.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

townsbg wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:28 pm I tried installing that and linux was unable to locate it.
This implies you got it installed and are now to the setup stage. Is that correct?

Remember, I've never used the Pro version, so didn't test and can't vouch for the setup part of the tutorial. I do notice your error, though. You don't have a Red Hat system. You have a Debian system, as in Mint is based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian. Try sudo apt-get install build-essential. Notice he doesn't have the sudo part. Explaining why you should do this with sudo is more technical than I want to get into right now. Just take my word for it. Insert sudo in front of each of his Debian commands and it's the same thing in substance.

Sorry about the VMWare forum. Don't know what that's about. Maybe it's just a slow forum.
townsbg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by townsbg »

I tried the build essential command this morning and it still won't run. I get an error message when I try to run vmware from the command line.
vmware
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-modconfig: Relink `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libbsd.so.0' with `/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1' for IFUNC symbol `clock_gettime'
I found this but I don't understand it. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1715552

I know about sudo rather than running as root because with root you can wipe out the OS.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

You didn't answer my question. If the first three steps worked (download, chmod and the installer script), the app should be installed. Look on Menu under System Tools. Then, on my test box, I didn't need anything else. Click on the menu entry, wizard opens, tick buttons on dialogue boxes, including trial installation without license key and the app opens. Did not need build-essential, which (as mentioned in my first post in the thread) was also my experience when I installed VMWare previously. Meanwhile, the command I gave you for build-essential works, I just tested it.

Return to “Software & Applications”