New website looks good, however the forums...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: When will this forum site get a new modern design?

Post by RollyShed »

Dipendra Khanal wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:04 pmNow my Question is when this forum or even LM home page will be changed into Modern layout and new logo ??
Why?
The present one is very readable, it works, it is clear. So what can changing it achieve?

What does your term "modern" mean? Unreadable? Hard to use? Illogical?

Any examples of discussion forum layouts that you prefer?

As for the logo, quirky, distinctive, recognisable. Are those things wanted? Yes? Then that asymmetrical symbol meets the requirements.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

There's some things I would love to see tweaked for the mobile version of LMF, but not a wholesale change-out.

If ... if ... they were to make a change to the LM logo, I would want it to be skeuomorphic, along with every other button and control. There's nothing which I detest more than flat and/or flat primitive UI elements.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Ive never really bothered with the community site. So, I had to look at it and see what everyone is talking about. Well, To me it looks like a sight full of statistics and thats about all.

Lets just leave things alone here and any work that needs to be done should not involve the looks. I like the idea of being able to easily mark posts SOLVED.

If the OP really feels the need to have something new to look at then perhaps put some Christmas decorations around the monitor :) . I am here for the actual content.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

catweazel wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:11 pm
JerryF wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:58 pm Maybe easier way to mark threads as SOLVED would be a nice start.
And automatic thread locking after n days.
I have no objection, but those aren't design changes, they're new features. And the reasons why we don't have them are technical in nature.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

How about being able to mark all forums read without having to return to the board index?
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

coffee412 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:28 am How about being able to mark all forums read without having to return to the board index?
I never return to the board index.....
I am able to mark everything as READ from any page that I am on.

I just click to go forward, or backward, so that the top of the page is back w/o me scrolling to the top.
Click Mark All Read, and it does the job, at least for me.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

coffee412 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:28 am How about being able to mark all forums read without having to return to the board index?
Another new feature, not a design change.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

JeremyB wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:17 pm
JerryF wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:58 pm Maybe easier way to mark threads as SOLVED would be a nice start.
They have that on ubuntuforums.org and still very few people use it. All the original poster has to do is click the Thread options menu near the top of the page and select mark topic as solved
I understand your point Jeremy. Having such an option won't eliminate us telling the OP to mark as SOLVED, but makes it easier than telling OP to go to first post, choose edit, insert the word SOLVED in the subject line.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

catweazel wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:11 pm
And automatic thread locking after n days.
Yes, that would be nice. +1

As an example would be if the last post to the thread doesn't get a reply after 60 days (arbitrary number), the thread is automatically closed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

:?: + :?: + :?:

I think what's happening here is called "trolling" - the triggering troll hasn't reported in any case...
If I imagine how much unnecessary CO2 was emitted - how dare you !

:mrgreen: & :mrgreen: & :mrgreen:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

absque fenestris wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:41 pm :?: + :?: + :?:

I think what's happening here is called "trolling" - the triggering troll hasn't reported in any case...
If I imagine how much unnecessary CO2 was emitted - how dare you !

:mrgreen: & :mrgreen: & :mrgreen:
Really?
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

The idea of a "solved" button has some merit, but, how many people will actually use it.

Locking old threads also has merit, but 72hours seems a bit tight, I'm thinking more along the lines of no posts in the thread in the last month.

Another forum also has a "thanks" button to say thankyou to a poster for some useful information.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

lsemmens wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:45 am The idea of a "solved" button has some merit, but, how many people will actually use it.

Locking old threads also has merit, but 72hours seems a bit tight, I'm thinking more along the lines of no posts in the thread in the last month.

Another forum also has a "thanks" button to say thank you to a poster for some useful information.
I tend to agree, that IF this were ever done, that we should wait a month, or maybe 2 months?

the reason being, we all have Lives that control our time to get onto the Internet....
I myself have been away from this Linux forum for nearly 10 months, except for a few times to watch it while I was relegated by force to using Win10 on my new Speed rocket 98 Oldsmobile of a laptop...

fast? yes, but it would NOT let any version of Linux successfully go to Live Session.
as of 19.3 it now does, and I am back for good again.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Amii_Leigh
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Amii_Leigh »

I say over and over in my everyday life, that 'newer' isn't necessarily 'better' and if it's not broken, don't bother fixing it! That's my opinion, like it or lump it! :) I like this site the way it is now as of Sunday, December 15, 2019. I thought it was bad enough to switch the background colours from green to white, then back again. Let's just keep the site as is, as long as 'everyone' knows how to use all it's features as it stands now, please?
नमस्ते = Namaste
I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells.
I honor the place in you in which is of love, of truth, of light, and of peace.
When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are one.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I keep hearing the tired phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If that were the case, we'd still be using the telegraph. :roll:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

HEY...im still using morse code with my ham radios...lol...DAMIEN

using an old real brass pounder from the telegraph days as well as an old WWII J38 key.

-.- .- .---- --- .-- .--.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Well i had a look at community.linuxmint.com and it seems like a place i'll be avoiding now (just due to the GUI changes).

I did post a feature request there a few years back when i first started using LM (it was to ask if they could add 'paysafe' payment options to support dev of LM) on that site, but now just looking at the place made me leave. The curse of Windows 8 GUI strikes again! (and no offence intended for the people that worked on that layout change!)

So erm no thanks from my end. This place works well as is (seems busy enough with lots of posts all the time, which suggests people don't have a problem using it).

One thing i did notice in general when 'traditional' forums change to the trendy 'flat' design is you often see either a fall off in useful users and/or a general explosion of not that helpful threads (this is more to do with the way modern GUI add 'popularity' aspects like votes up/down etc). For somewhere where people go for technical help a normal forum format works well, where as the new GUI Windows 8 inspired stuff (reddit etc) tends to float trash to the top and sinks the useful stuff. Honestly reddit is about as bad a format for helpful content as is possible to create.

I have quit a number of forums over the years as they became unusable(unbearable?), Rock Paper Shotgun, Quarter to Three, Tomshardware etc. This modern flat design does exactly what it was designed to do (for Windows 8 ) and dumbs it all down to the point of becoming unusable or at the very least unhelpful (for complex involved stuff).

No thanks. Keep as is. Windows 8/Windows 10 GUI changes are not good (just as those OS were not good).
Last edited by ZakGordon on Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I find Ubuntu forums much more intuitive and with more features. I suspect that there are paid experts who answer some of the questions. Oldfred is one such user on that forum. He is extremely knowledgeable.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:15 pm I find Ubuntu forums much more intuitive and with more features. I suspect that there are paid experts who answer some of the questions. Oldfred is one such user on that forum. He is extremely knowledgeable.
The Ubuntu forums seem like this one (different colour and different fonts, but basically a 'traditional' forum), i've rarely been there but in about 20 secs of looking at the first page i picked out 'general help' and was in a format like this one, listed threads with page numbers at the bottom. I could use that place as i use this one if i was running plain Ubuntu.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:15 pm I find Ubuntu forums much more intuitive and with more features. I suspect that there are paid experts who answer some of the questions. Oldfred is one such user on that forum. He is extremely knowledgeable.
Yes he is, but definitely not a salaried worker for Ubuntuforums nor Canonical.
He's just another volunteer staff member who enjoys helping others, just like every other Ubuntuforums staff member, me included!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”