What happened to Cinnamenu?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Shane15

Post by Shane15 »

One of the reasons I switched from Mate to Cinnamon was the Cinnamenu applet. I am running 19.2 and I have used Cinnamenu on every install I do, but I can no longer find it as an option. Does anybody know what happened to it or the author?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: What happened to Cinnamenu?

Post by xenopeek »

It's no longer maintained and not compatible with current Cinnamon version.
Shane15

Post by Shane15 »

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.
It works great in every version I have used. If I upgrade to 19.3 from 19.2, will the upgrade wipe out my current version of Cinnamenu?
Also, is there any contact info for the author so that I might be able to get the source code for it?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Shane15 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:16 am Also, is there any contact info for the author so that I might be able to get the source code for it?
https://github.com/jaszhix/Cinnamenu
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

This will get you a working copy. All are individual commands to be copied and pasted into a terminal

Use tmp directory to minimise need for post download cleanup

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
Download a zip of the cinnamon spices repo just before Cinnamenu was retired

wget https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-spices-applets/archive/b09085757981ee3ea9e5b65f631b2a1469628f91.zip
Extract the zip

unzip b09085757981ee3ea9e5b65f631b2a1469628f91.zip
Copy the Cinnamenu applet to your local applets folder

cp -r /tmp/cinnamon-spices-applets-b09085757981ee3ea9e5b65f631b2a1469628f91/Cinnamenu@json/files/Cinnamenu@json ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/Cinnamenu@json
Tweak it so it loads in forthcoming Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 4.4.x

tee ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/Cinnamenu@json/metadata.json <<'EOB'
{
  "uuid": "Cinnamenu@json",
  "name": "Cinnamenu",
  "description": "A flexible menu providing formatting options, web bookmarks, open window lookup, and search provider support with fuzzy searching.",
  "max-instances": 2,
  "version": "4.1.3",
  "multiversion": true,
  "website": "https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-spices-applets/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+Cinnamenu%40json",
  "comments": "Made possible thanks to the efforts of contributors to the Cinnamon menu, Gnomenu, and the contributors to projects they derived from.",
  "cinnamon-version": ["3.2", "3.4", "3.6", "3.8", "4.0", "4.2", "4.4"]
}
EOB
Open your applets settings module from the menu - it will be ready to add to the panel.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Shane15

Post by Shane15 »

gm10 and smurphos,
Thx for the info guys. :D
pebcak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pebcak »

@smurphos

Thank you so much! This works for me on Linux Mint 19.3.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Just be aware that this is unsupported and unmaintained currently. It could break or cause problems with any update to Cinnamon. It isn't likely to until at least the next major version of Cinnamon but just keep it in mind.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

Thanks lots! I was missing it after upgrading to 19.3. Your procedure works like a charm!
ravenmad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ravenmad »

@smurphos - thanks so much! Worked perfectly :)
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grateful4Linux »

I'm so disappointed to read that Cinnamenu is no longer maintained. I began using it when I bought a new monitor with higher resolution/dpi. The start menu is so much easier for me to see using Cinnamenu.

Is there any chance that a project like that will get taken over and continue?

I appreciate the instructions above. That is helpful for 19.3, but it looks like next year, with Linux Mint 20, I will have to go back to the difficult to see menu.
~Maria
pebcak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pebcak »

JosephM wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:34 am Just be aware that this is unsupported and unmaintained currently. It could break or cause problems with any update to Cinnamon. It isn't likely to until at least the next major version of Cinnamon but just keep it in mind.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grateful4Linux »

smurphos wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:56 am This will get you a working copy. All are individual commands to be copied and pasted into a terminal

Use tmp directory to minimise need for post download cleanup

cd /tmp
Download a zip of the cinnamon spices repo just before Cinnamenu was retired

wget https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-spices-applets/archive/b09085757981ee3ea9e5b65f631b2a1469628f91.zip
Extract the zip

unzip b09085757981ee3ea9e5b65f631b2a1469628f91.zip
Copy the Cinnamenu applet to your local applets folder

cp -r /tmp/cinnamon-spices-applets-b09085757981ee3ea9e5b65f631b2a1469628f91/Cinnamenu@json/files/Cinnamenu@json ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/Cinnamenu@json
Tweak it so it loads in forthcoming Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 4.4.x

tee ~/.local/share/cinnamon/applets/Cinnamenu@json/metadata.json <<'EOB'
{
  "uuid": "Cinnamenu@json",
  "name": "Cinnamenu",
  "description": "A flexible menu providing formatting options, web bookmarks, open window lookup, and search provider support with fuzzy searching.",
  "max-instances": 2,
  "version": "4.1.3",
  "multiversion": true,
  "website": "https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-spices-applets/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+Cinnamenu%40json",
  "comments": "Made possible thanks to the efforts of contributors to the Cinnamon menu, Gnomenu, and the contributors to projects they derived from.",
  "cinnamon-version": ["3.2", "3.4", "3.6", "3.8", "4.0", "4.2", "4.4"]
}
EOB
Open your applets settings module from the menu - it will be ready to add to the panel.
Thank you so much for posting those instructions! I'm not sure what happened the first time I did it, but it didn't work. I think I might have missed a character (or a few characters or something.) I wasn't sure how to undo what I did in the terminal and start over, or if I should Timeshift back, but I just redid it and the second time it worked.

I'm so glad to have Cinnamenu back! I upgraded yesterday and really hate the built-in menu. I tried to get used to the CinnVIIStarkMenu too, but I found it cumbersome compared to Cinnamenu, which for me is much more efficient and pretty much ideal for my workflow, monitor resolution, and visual comfort.

I am also very happy that I read this thread before upgrading in place. After reading that Cinnamenu is no longer supported/compatible, I figured I should remove it before the upgrade... but for some reason I was curious to see what would happen if I left it as it was for the upgrade. (I must be a masochist.) If I hadn't procrastinated I would have upgraded a week ago and would have been shocked and upset to find the start menu suddenly missing.

Even though I was prepared to find the menu suddenly missing, I wasn't sure what to do when faced with not having any menu access. Perhaps there is a keyboard shortcut to bring up the menu? I wasn't even sure how to restart or shut down without the menu. It threw me more than I expected, and the only thing that saved me was some kind of error warning having to do with Xapps which allowed me to access some configuration settings and get a menu active.
~Maria
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Just for general reference. If you find yourself without a start menu, you can always right click on the panel which will bring up the applet settings so you can add one back :)
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grateful4Linux »

JosephM wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:07 am Just for general reference. If you find yourself without a start menu, you can always right click on the panel which will bring up the applet settings so you can add one back :)
I noticed that last night, but I wasn't sure if it was there right after my 19.3 upgrade. I guess it was but I didn't notice it. Oh, actually now that I'm thinking about it... I think whatever caused the error saying something didn't start caused that not to show up at first. (Exactly what transpired is getting increasingly murky, but I definitely did notice that option when I was tweaking the panel settings yesterday, so hopefully I will remember/notice that if it ever happens again.)
~Maria
Ringel05

Post by Ringel05 »

Just upgraded and saw this, worked like a charm!! Thanks!!!!!
vaca
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vaca »

@smurphos - thanks so much , You're an absolute hero the best !!! :mrgreen:
Linux Mint tricia 19.3 Cinnamon

Acer 7542G/4gb ram/Mint20 usb 1TB. Hp Elitedesk 800 G3 Mini 35 wt /i5 7500T /16GB RAM DDR4 2400/UEFI MINT 20 1 TB USB3 /240GB SSD sata/!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Grateful4Linux wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:32 pm Is there any chance that a project like that will get taken over and continue?

I appreciate the instructions above. That is helpful for 19.3, but it looks like next year, with Linux Mint 20, I will have to go back to the difficult to see menu.
It might still work in future Cinnamon versions with a simple tweak to it stated compatibility depending on what changes there are to the applet API and CJS in Cinnamon 4.6. But at some point there will be a breaking change that would need more development. I'm kind of doubtful that another person will pick it up, but you never know. I actually stopped using it with 19.2 because the stock menu got way faster and Cinnamenu seemed sluggish in comparison.

Font size in the stock menu should be much easier to set in Cinnamon 4.6 - thanks to JosephM :),with the stock themes at least.

Icon sizes in the stock menu are hard-coded but it's an reasonably trivial tweak to amend that code in a local copy and I may time and ability allowing make and upload a fork of the stock menu with configurable icon sizes. Another feature of Cinnamenu that I think would be nice to port to a stock menu fork it's it GUI for managing menu search-providers.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
linfidel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linfidel »

Sorry, I just found this topic, and I'm confused. I don't remember ever using Cinnamenu in the past. I have Mint 19.3 (upgraded from 19.2), and I opened the applets and see cinnamenu right on top. I added it, and it seems to work fine. For right now, I have it assigned to Super-R, and the regular menu assigned to Super-L so I can compare the two.

Cinnamenu looks like it might be better, so I hope it won't go away in the future.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

linfidel wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:45 pm Sorry, I just found this topic, and I'm confused. I don't remember ever using Cinnamenu in the past. I have Mint 19.3 (upgraded from 19.2), and I opened the applets and see cinnamenu right on top. I added it, and it seems to work fine. For right now, I have it assigned to Super-R, and the regular menu assigned to Super-L so I can compare the two.

Cinnamenu looks like it might be better, so I hope it won't go away in the future.
I noticed that, too. Somebody must be maintaining it. I think there were some improvements made, as well. It seems much faster now.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”