Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
arnad
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Search for documents in menu

Post by arnad »

Hello everyone,

in Windows 7 it was possible to to search for documents and their content from the menu. Is it possible to achieve something similar in Linux Mint 19.1? I'm not necessarily looking for an exact equivalent, but for the ability to open a search box via a shortcut, type the document name and select it with the arrow keys. I've seen a few search apps (catfish, recoll), but as far as I can see they require me to open the application first, which slows down my workflow too much.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Arnad

EDIT: I want to search my documents, not all files. Corrected the original question to clarify that.
Last edited by arnad on Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Search for documents in menu

Post by LanceM »

Open file manager (nemo) and click the magnifying glass>type part of the file name and items start appearing. See example for Favorite-Movies.
Find.jpg
It will work in anywhere in your root directory. Even hidden files if you press Ctrl+H first. To stop hidden press the same keystrokes again.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

arnad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arnad »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly, this does not really meet my requirements. Mainly, I am looking for a workflow in which I enter one shortcut, have my cursor in a search bar, type my query and select the results with my keyboard. Using nemo I would have to open the search bar with two shortcuts (unfortunate, but I might get used to that) and then select the result with my mouse. Since I am aiming for a fast workflow, this does not do.

Another point I noticed when trying your suggestion: Contrary to what I wrote in my original post, I am looking for a method to only search my documents, not all files. Searching my entire home directory throws out all kinds of files I am not looking for and will likely never be. I could select the Documents folder with Nemo, but that would be yet another step in my flow.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Post by LanceM »

If you know the type of file, such as .odt or .doc or .rtf you can narrow it greatly. Just type the ending file type.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Post by smurphos »

I'd suggest exploring the various standalone GUI search applications to settle on one you like and then setting up a keyboard short cut to open it ready to search your Documents folder.

E.g. I currently use searchmonkey as my standalone GUI search.

To set up keyboard shortcut to open it ready to search in my documents folder - (screenshots are from Cinnamon's Keyboard settings module)

You might also want to explore dedicated desktop 'launcher' apps like synapse. Amongst lots of other functions that can be enabled with various plugins it gives easy access to Document search via a systray icon. You'll find synapse in Software Manager or can install with apt install synapse.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I prefer Catfish

just create a kybd shortcut for it, and you are ready to go.

catfish.png
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

@ smurphos
Your screenshot fitted so perfectly well into my Firefox (dark) window that I wanted to install Synapse over your system... :lol:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

arnad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arnad »

Thank you all for your suggestions. After experimenting with them the only one making it into consideration ist synapse, since the others either require extensive tabbing or the use of the mouse.

Two problems with synapse:
1. I have to explicitly search after I'm done typing instead of getting suggestions as I type. This is presumable because synapse does not keep an index but executes an actual search each time I use it. Althought my initial research seems to suggest that it should use an index. Seems too slow for that though. Not a dealbreaker in any case, just wanted to know if this behavior could be changed.

2. It does not seem to open .odt or .ods-Files. I can find them, but if I press enter, nothing is openend. If I try the same thing with .xml-Files, they are opened. Is this a bug or do I misunderstand how to use it?

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

arnad wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:12 pm
Thank you all for your suggestions. After experimenting with them the only one making it into consideration ist synapse, since the others either require extensive tabbing or the use of the mouse.

Two problems with synapse:
1. I have to explicitly search after I'm done typing instead of getting suggestions as I type. This is presumable because synapse does not keep an index but executes an actual search each time I use it. Although my initial research seems to suggest that it should use an index. Seems too slow for that though. Not a deal-breaker in any case, just wanted to know if this behavior could be changed.

2. It does not seem to open .odt or .ods-Files. I can find them, but if I press enter, nothing is opened. If I try the same thing with .xml-Files, they are opened. Is this a bug or do I misunderstand how to use it?
that is why I prefer Software Manager, plus you can read the mini-docs for it.
that alone often times causes me to not install something.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

arnad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arnad »

Hello everyone,

I ended up using albert (https://albertlauncher.github.io/), which fits my requirements and is even better than I had hoped. Thanks for the launcher suggestion. Marking this topic as SOLVED.

Return to “Cinnamon”